Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortar Mix for repointing red brick

Options
  • 29-01-2022 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Looking for help in how to make up a mortar mix to repoint some brick work...

What do I need?

Is mortar the same as cement?

I only need to point a few small areas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

4/5 parts sand to 1 part cement and enough water to make a paste, add some plasticiser if you want to make it more workable, if the mortar is colored you will need to add a dye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't know if it's coloured or not, I'll have take a look later

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on the bricks and the wall construction, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A photo would help us judge!

I found that some mortar mixes were maybe a little richer in cement than others or have weathered in a particular way, so you may need to back-off the cement and go for a sandier mix to get a better immediate match. And the mortar plasticiser as mentioned by bfclancy is a must.

Also plan on how you're going to clean up as you go along to prevent cement staining on the bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That's the big, can't tell if there colour in the mortar or not?

Thats obviously a good section of wall...I literally only have a little bit to touch up, the down pipe was broken and water pissing out against the breakwork for God knows how long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, no colour in that. Looks standard to me.

Advertisement