Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrades.

Options
  • 26-01-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi - I got the 6" Heritage 150P (this is my first telescope) and had put it to some good use since Christmas. It came bundled with Super 10 and 25 eyepieces - that I presume are decent quality for the overall price of this kit.

If I wanted to upgrade - should I just buy same eyepieces but from a brand offering a better quality (televue?) or get a bigger telescope with better eyepieces but perhaps not as expensive ones ?

Also - I want to be able to take photos with my phone, any adapters that are worth investing in ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi - im new to this forum but i have some experience so - here goes. My experience with a 6" Newtonian is a few years old, im currently using a SCT and a refractor. But i would maybe think of getting a few reasonable Eye relief EP's. Im sure you have noticed the dramatic difference in eye relief between the 25mm and the 10. The 25mm is surely fantastic, comfortable to use, and provides a decent view without having to touch the lens with your eyeball! But the 10, i would say you enjoy the increased magnification, but are annoyed by having to get very close to the glass.

With me i spent a lot on eyepieces over the last 2 years. If you are looking for a bargain, id check these out:

first link is a review, second is the Chinese site i purchased them from - have to say they are among the best i managed to get, and at a decent price too. whats more the eye relief is really decent on these. the set is 20mm, 15mm, 9mm, 6mm. The funny thing is that the review singles out the 15mm as very poor, but i honestly havent noticed any issues at all. Also if you are willing to buy from SVBony/Aliexpress you get these at a VERY respectable price - they are available from big brands in europe but tend to be about 60-70euro each as opposed to getting the whole set for around the 110euro mark -

Oh and they are par-focal (very little refocusing is required when swapping between focal lengths - there is some dispute as to whether they could be called True Par-Focal given that a slight refocus is needed but in all honest - these are Good-As)

As for upgrading your scope itself - personally i would hold off - a 6" Dob (assuming that is what you have) is a nice piece of kit to use - I have gone through 4 tubes myself during lockdown (yes, i have no life) - but happy to discuss tubes too if you want

The above eyepieces are great all rounders IMHO - that said i did splash out on a number of other more expensive EP's - but the above are definitely my bread and butter, i use at least one or two of these every night - and the field of view is generous too so

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

PS to the above post

This is the very same eyepiece from a known brand - just for comparison on the price so

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement