Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in Maynooth

Options
  • 25-01-2022 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I had an interview recently for job in Maynooth.

I don’t know if I will get it but I looking up Maynooth to see what the town was like.

Seems nice and plenty of supermarkets but no cinema - which I thought is odd for its size.

Am I making a mistake? Or is there really no cinema in the town?

if so, where is the nearest or easier to get to by bus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Definitely no cinema but would be 20 mins drive to Liffey valley probably 30-35 on a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Okay thanks.

I had googled “Maynooth cinemas” and been checking bus routes but none were direct

There is a bus to Liffey Valley and it does seem the easiest to get to

don’t know how I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cinema in Naas is also about 20 mins away. Liffey Valley much better cinema but more crowded and parking can be a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I was in Naas about 3 weeks ago, I've never seen a cinema go down hill so fast it was horrible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Naas cinema is really filthy and run down and the car park is scary!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Liffey Valley is a ten min drive away, about 20 mins on a bis (depending on bus/time)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Any idea of the name of the bus stops in Maynooth and Liffey Valley for this?

There are several options for this in both places but I can’t seem to get the matching stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

C3 or C4 bus from Maynooth.

Stop for Liffey Valley is on N4, you’ll need to go over the pedestrian bridge then.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭crl84

The 115 Bus Eireann bus also stops there, its second stop after Maynooth (first being opposite the Spa Hotel Lucan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Id agree, i go to Blanch or Liffey Valley. With over 50K people between Celbridge,Leixlip and Maynooth and the M4 im surprised we dont have one in the area as there's not another option along the M4 until Mullingar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

More shocking of all Celbridge and Leixlip are both bigger than Maynooth and they've no cinema either. And not a swimming pool between the three of them.

Up around Base (Airtastic) seems like it would be the ideal spot for either given it's the midway point between the three towns. Seems to be no interest from entrepeneurs on the cinema front and on the swimming pool KCC are prob using our property tax to build Athy a skatepark instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The owner's of Base were refused a cinema a good few years ago, as the council/ decision makers wanted one nearer the Main Street in Celbridge.!!!

There was also a proposal put in for a gym and pool facing the Applegreen where the new estate is going in Celbridge, but that was refused too, to protect the vista of Castle Town.

No issues getting these things done in Naas or Athy as you have mentioned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd question if Leixlip is bigger anymore, census area figures aren't out yet but it was close enough last time.

KCC planning want to leave it to the college to provide a cinema, as they intend to do as a partial commercial venture. Nice idea but it's been nearly a decade since that was proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Maynooth definitely bigger September to April. Definitely growing faster in terms of permanent residents too. I would guess Leixlip has the smallest footprint, it doesn't really have anywhere to expand to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Census area figures are out, Maynooth now has about 2k more than Leixlip. Celbridge when you remember to include Donaghcumper is about 5k ahead of Maynooth still.

I'd expect Celbridge to leap on a fair bit by 2026, as will Maynooth; and Leixlip to grow much slower due to the physical constraints and county boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Don’t forget there is supposed to be development the far side of Cope bridge around the graveyard, the land beside the dam/back of Leixlip park and the question of the land opposite Westfield on the link rd.

From the 2016 count Celbridge was 3rd, Leixlip in 4th and Maynooth 5th.

Haven’t seen the 22 number for towns yet, are they up?

Advertisement