Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people be judged on old social media posts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're stupid jokes but they're also as old as the hills. They're schoolboy jokes.

They didn't "cause distress" to anyone. That's like saying you find knock-knock jokes distressing.

I don't believe it. I think this political society is full of liars who feign offense for political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There was one about Scots and Hookers too but I lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

No they didn’t, Groundskeeper Willy—the Scottish stereotype who they portray as a total weirdo—did.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll never get why people want to post ‘every single’ brain fart they have on social media…tedious, boring and dangerous…. teens and twenty’s I get as to a degree they’ve been enabled and almost brainwashed by this age of the fûckin attention seeker where simply likes and comments and people paying attention to them is as good as winning a bunch of money on a scratch card… it’s weird..some people out there would value 1000 likes/comments over 1000 euros it seems..

i simply use it to keep up with friends and family that’s it… I don’t get what motivates people to be using it for any other purposes…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you very active on twitter, you are a knob.

If you are angry on or about something on twitter you are an exceptional knob head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because not everyone is exactly like you I would guess. I use facebook a bit to chat about football and learn about underage players coming through. Keeping up with LOI is not that easy so their facebook updates are useful.

I do groan when I see people post stuff that might come back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I often said that if I managed to create the media company I believe I could make if I had money to begin with, I would call it Potential Monkey Productions. But judging by the replies to most my posts in these forums, that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

It seems the trawling of old Twitter posts is still going on:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

As a matter of interest, what sitcoms from the 90s and 00s are problematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It should be banned, but mainly because it's shite.

Same as quoting the Simpsons out of context to pass as humour, ban that too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depends what you consider problematic. Fr Ted, for example, had a lot of nazi imagery in it which would be less acceptable now. Friends would never be made now without a more diverse cast. Family Guy was full of racism. The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince were oft criticised for showing unrealistic realities for black people.

I understand everyone will have different views on these things and I don’t know what your own views are - I take it you are describing oft used criticism. My own view is that people don’t seem to understand the powerful political role that satire has played through history.

Definition of satire: “the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues”

Father Ted was full of satire. I didn’t really watch Family Guy but I’m sure it could be interpreted in the same way. As for the point about the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince, some people might say that the criticism you outline is a tad condescending. Should only certain “realities” be depicted for certain races? I enjoyed the Fresh Prince but didn’t really look at it from the race angle. I just thought it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

I didn't say they were problematic - I said their jokes have aged badly and wouldn't be acceptable today. This is just a few off the top of my head.

Friends - Transgender jokes about Chandler's Dad, Fat jokes about Monica, lots of gay jokes in general

HIMYM - Barney tricking women into bed means they aren't providing informed consent. His actions were on par with sexual assault.

Home improvement was full of misogyny

Big Bang Theory is full of gender stereotyping and fat shaming jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

All of them, probably.

One thing that I remember is that there was a storyline in 'Friends' about Chandler's father being transgender or a a crossdresser or similar; the whole thing was treated with disgust and derision by all of the characters. Similarly, a storyline about Chandler and Joey being molested by a tailor (including the fact that Joey would have been groped as a teenager) being gas craic with zero negative consequences - I can't imagine anything like that being approved by producers these days.

I must be a total dinosaur. I understand that there are jokes from these shows that would not be acceptable today. But everyone seems to take things so literally and seriously today and there doesn’t seem to be any understanding of satire. Often in the past, serious issues were joked about in order to make deeper political points about those issues. It seems to be a narrower and narrower range of subjects that can be joked about today. As a matter of interest, what do people under 30 find funny today? What are the sitcoms that people find funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Aye, this thread definitely seems to have been started more as a witch-hunt against an individual politician than the benign question posed in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As Unionists goes he's about the best of them, he's not a bitter dinosaur like most of them in the other party the DUP. I used to be on twitter and followed him. He quite comfortably referred to himself as Irish, albeit British. Alot of the hardline unionists would hardly acknowledge the existence of anything South of the border. He's never been one of them. While his tweets weren't going to end well, I don't think it makes him a bad person and would think he's a benefit to Northern Irish politics over some of the headbangers up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think I'd pay to watch wokies sit through Married with Children, Al would have them fuming in the first scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Knock knock jokes are offensive to those without hands, or those who have a phobia about knocking on doors or those who are too poor to have doors and, as such, should be banned.*

*Not remotely serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

All depends on identity and where on the oppression scale they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

prob not especially since all social media is fake what if all you have is you being fake nice ?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

When you're in your teens/early twenties, you easily influenced or lead by others, and want to 'fit in". You are probably prone to say something stupid or, at least, not thought out. But tweet it, and it's there for a very long time.

But a bit after that, you should have to cop on to be your own person and express your own views.

Trying to categorise this sort of thing as a joke is puerile, IMO. Such tweets are simply immature. He (and others) need to grow up

Advertisement