Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating New Pineboard

Options
  • 24-01-2022 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have bought some new pineboard that I plan to use as shelving. I already have two coffee tables that have used rustic repurposed pine for their tops. Any tips on how to get the new pineboard to match?

Even if I can get stain it to get the colour to someway match I would be happy.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Hiya, if you posted up some pics of the coffee tables, that would be a great help in determining how to achieve matching the stain colour for the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Hi Deregos - thanks your your response. Some pics of the tables included below...

OK Tim, it doesn't look like there's any stain on them, just varnish. Have them coffee tables been made from old pallets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Or Danish oil, either, perhaps.

Could quite possibly be old pallets. I bought them in the EZ Living sale and they are marketed as being recycled timber.

Shelves are squeaky clean new pineboard...

• Advertisement

Your main difference is the texture Tim, the timber on the pallets being rough and pitted with the open pores and old nail holes in the grimey wood grain all being details that the new block wood shelves simply don't have. You could try and recreate and these effects on to the new block wood with a wire brush on a drill to roughen, a punch to make some holes and cement to give a random bit of burn staining and ageing.

But honestly Tim, it would be altogether a whole lot easier to achieve that look, if you just get some old free pallets, cut them up and make matching shelves out of them.

Cheers for the feedback Deregos! Given what you have said i think i might change strategy and try and get the shelves to match the timber floor in the room. Some pics below. Any idea what this wood is and how I might treat the pine to get it to some way match?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd say a browse around your nearest architectural salvage yard would be the best bet.

Or paint the shelves black to match the table legs!

The missus has me warned off black. The previous coffee tables were black but I had to throw them out due to wonky legs - i suspect sabotage!

Advertisement