Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Scanning 2022

• 21-01-2022 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

How have scans gone in general for those who were lambing early or have scanned recently compared to recent years?

I am getting mine scanned at the weekend,will report in after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Scanning next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have scanned here, just under 2 in the adults and 1.3 in the ewe lambs, one barren in 60 adult ewes and one barren in 21 ewe lambs..... happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Middling enough scan here this year with both the January and March lambing ewes .

Haven't got exact figures but will look them up .Know earlies scanned about 1.7 and main flock were a bit less .Poor enough compared to last few years but weather was very warm when rams in plus grass not as plentiful for flushing as other years .

Few more empties than normal along with a fair few singles .

Talking to a few around here and the same story in general ,no disasters but nobody over excited either .

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭buffalobilly

March lambing here

(just over 1.9)78 ewes

12 triplets 49 twins

15 singles 2 empty

happy enough with that

scanned 1.8 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Reduced numbers here this year.

60 ewes, 15 triplets 29 twins 13 singles 3 empty.

11 ewe lambs, 6 singles, 4 twins, 1 empty.

Disappointed with the empty ewes.

Good bit of fostering to be done but I think a lot of the singles are early going by the raddle. The teat buckets will be out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

What type of ewes have you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Suffolk x Belclare x Texel mostly. Just looking at them this evening. I think most of the singles have very little Belclare in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

Normal scan here this year. Overall 1.87 in ewes 1.98 litter size

Ewe lambs 1.34 litters size 1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Got sheep done on Saturday, great scan result,lambing from St Paddys day with scanner saying most will lamb around April 1st....with good compact pattern.

64 ewes scanned.

2 empty

10 singles

46 twins

6 triplets

The 2 empty might possibly be in lamb yet as well as ram was still with them till mid December.

So 1.87 from all ewes to ram and 1.93 from in lamb ewes to ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommieG90

Hill ewes on lowland ground, mix of hoggs and 2 year old ewes, 1.37 from all ewes and 1.5 from in lamb ewes to ram, 5 empty, (3 ewes and 2 hoggs), 26 single and 26 doubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Scanned on 18th.

All Blackie hill ewes. Weather was too good at tupping time for blackfaced ewes, way too mild which didn't help.

1.69%

3 empty

110 twins

7 triplets (includes my only mule ewe)

55 singles

10 Dorset X Ewe lambs

1 twin

2 singles

7 empty

These were put to a young ram lamb I bought just to see if he would work, not bothered that they didn't go in lamb.

Have the shed ready to put them in, but I'm leaving the twins and singles out as the weather is way too good to be housing ewes. They're wasting a bit more silage than I'd like but no straw being used is the upside. Housed triplets and some broken mouthed ewes carrying singles and twins. Will house the twins when they start to get meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommieG90

IS that an exceptionally good scan for blackie hill ewes? I'm relatively new to this so always open to learn more, i was a bit disappointed with my number of empties, I think they may have been in in too good condition, you said the weather was too mild?

It's better to put an older ram with ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

It would be a decent scan, not exceptional by any means, I'd usually like to try and hit around 1.75% with them, with few triplets but there were 30 hoggets in them that scanned a high percentage of singles. Blackie ewes like it a bit rougher at tupping time, when there's plenty of rain and it's miserable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

1.57% with one empty who repeated late.

Slightly dissapointed as i had 200% last year but i think my ewes were in better condition going to the ram last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭drive it

Lambing around Patrick's day cut back in no. this year

1 empty

25 single

36 twins

2 triplets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Tileman

Had a really bad scanning. 7o% singles. Out of 100 ewes. Never saw anything like it. Ewes all in good grass going to ram. 3 rams.

mixture of mature ewes and Hoggets.

Were they on good grass for two mths before as well, Most ewes are condition score three after rearing lambs, they need to be near condition score four at mating they need ten weeks good grass to put on one condition score, most ewes need that extra condition score after rearing lambs.

Get them blood tested for minerals, it could be a problem, did you give them a mineral bolus two or three weeks pre mating

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Had something similar only had 10 going to the ram but 5 empty. Disappointed not a great start to sheep farming . Though they were in good condition going to the ram had been on good grass and got a mineral dose a few weeks prior to mating. Scanner said its been a bad year with alot of emptys

Yea they got a mineral dose 3 weeks before going to the ram and were on good grass and good condition going to ram.

tea will get them blood tested as there is obvious something missing.

normally would have have a scan of 1.8 to 1.9 so this is the first year had something like this . Every year brings a new challenge.

• Advertisement

I don't think mineral doses are slow release. Cobalt in a dose will only work for a fortnight if that's your problem. Cobalt deficiency is a problem here so always have to use a slow release bolus every six mths or dose with Cobalt every fortnight/ three weeks. It won't stay in the system very long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

All lowland mixture. Quite a lot or llyen in the older ones and more Suffol cross in the younger ones

If they were scanning near two as a flock for the last couple years you should at least do some blood tests.

Yea will do. That’s the plan.

Advertisement