Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Meatloaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭apache

Sad to hear the news this morning. Been to about 5 of his gigs. Stopped going because unfortunately he couldn't perform in the latter years.

RIP Meat......Heaven can wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

i remember hoping to get a girl out for a “slow dance” for Two out of Three Ain’t Bad... you had a good 10 minutes to ‘get in there’ before she’d walk!! Unfortunately it wasn’t a lucky song for me... but plenty of other lads who were smoother talkers than me make a killing!!!

RIP Big Fella... 74 is too young

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

RIP and all but what I remember going to see him in Dublin, many many moons ago . 2 songs in a lad from Meath hit him with a can he threw. Meat walked off stage and didn't return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"I don't always listen to Meatloaf. But when I do, so do the neighbors."

Blasting the lad today. I need my old speakers, these computer speakers are crap.

Sadness pervading the household. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRl55U0eDw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Like nothing we've ever seen before or will again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Was it not gladioli that Morrissey used to brandish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The fellas would always go in for the snog @ “…I can’t lie!!! I can’t tell you that I’m something I’m not!! no matter how I try! I’ll never be ABLE…”. Slow sets all included 2 out of 3 until it was replaced by Careless Whisper. RIP dear Meatloaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I was at that concert too, totally agree, one of the best gigs I was ever at too. Larger than life and a voice to match, put his heart and soul into every song when on stage. What a performer. Bands today should look at his live stuff to see how to work a crowd and perform. You got your moneys worth and then some!

RIP Big Man.. "Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are"

Takes some stamina to dance to a Jim Steinman song

We can’t mention him without including Jim Steinman RIP who wrote everything and without whom he’d have struggled. We owe them both a huge debt of gratitude for providing us with at least part of the soundtrack of our lives. You’ll never find anything like that ever again. I think that’s why there so much regret today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Great singer in his prime no argument about that....but i lost all respect for him when he attacked poor ol'Gary Busey that time, total douchbag🤔

Shuffling around the floor with your hands on some farmers shoulders while he grips your waist, or even your arse, waiting for him to get up the courage to go in for the kill to swap spits with you, could hardly be described as dancing. A mating ritual is closer to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Didn't like his music but saw him once ( free ticket and big gang going) and he was a great performer with real stage presence

Pretty good actor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What a voice, such a talented singer, great performer, never got to see him in concert. I would do anything is the song I always play when I first start playing rock ballads in the car 🚘

May he Rest in Peace ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Romance was alive and well in those days. Where did it all go wrong.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭AyeGer

RIP Great singer and around for a very long time. Hard to believe he was only 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

My best recollection is around 85-87 but could possibly have been later.

He had an enormous motorbike stage prop, if you remember that.

Edit: just googled and this might be it:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/meat-loaf/1985/sfx-hall-dublin-ireland-63863233.html

Post edited by Heighway61 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,770 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turns out the one i was at was almost certainly january 1990, in the national stadium.

• Advertisement

The slow set is over and the lights come back on and the farmer says “will you shtay on?” followed by “would you like a mineral?”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭archfi

I remember when my oldest brother got Bat out of Hell in 1977 and visiting him and his wife - that album was a big wow moment for a kid

RIP

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I see on twitter it may have been covid that he died from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rock and Rock opera in particular have lost an icon.

The musicality of Bat out of Hell and of Meat Loaf's work with Steinman is IMO brilliant. Like I suppose many others here there was a near constant loop of BOH on the radio and in my house growing up.

What I hope he is remembered for? As well as being a great singer? Is being a fúcking amazing showman, never left a gig disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Bad Attitude tour '85.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

So very sorry to hear the news of Meatloaf’s death today. Him and the the fantastic magical music he made with Jim Steinman have always been a huge part of my life since I was very young. What an emotional powerhouse of a performer we were lucky to have. Nobody that ever heard his music could ever forget how he could make you feel. A light has truly gone out today. May he Rest In Peace.

”Think of how we’d lay down together

We’d be listening to the radio so loud and so strong

Every golden nugget coming like a gift of the gods

Someone must have blessed us when he gave us those songs”

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭boosabum

He played community centers and ballrooms in Ireland in the late 1980s when his star was fading. This was rock opera at its finest instead of the weekly bingo.

Go home Bob, your tits are too big.....RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Great singer and entertainer. Wouldn't worry to much about the Gary Busey incident. Meatloaf was famous for his outbursts/tantrums. These weren't down to ego or prima donna attitudes - unfortunately, it was the opposite and he suffered terribly from a persecution complex, which was understandable given his brutal upbringing and his treatment by the music industry throughout his career.

There was a made-for-tv biography movie done in 2000 (available on youtube). Fairy cheaply made and, as usual, not entirely accurate with regards details, but does capture the main points and is very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Absolutely massive fan of Meatloaf, sure it's all a bit cheesy and over the top but what a performer and singer he was. Bat out of Hell is one of the few albums ever that's amazing from beginning to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As per above :

Great singer

Great performer

He had it all.

Advertisement