Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking Blitz 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Blitz in its current format has been running for around 10 years now, it was setup to promote the use of the (at the time new) Coillte trails and the bike hire business attached to it so they probably don't think it's worth a massive marketing drive to promote this long standing event..

There's a few freelance photographers who take snaps at each of the events, i'm pretty sure they're linked on one of the various related biking blitz social media accounts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Yeah, the effort put into promoting the series has been seriously slack. Instagram seems to be the only place they post updates, and even at that they fail to make you aware of changes prior to events. Just as an example, Derroura was originally advertised as 1 lap for ebike, the day before the event this was changed to 2 on the website but not mentioned anywhere. Same for Ticknock just gone - originally advertised as 2 laps, just prior to the event it was changed to 3. Again no notification. Now don't get me wrong, in both cases I think it was the right move as it keeps the average distance similar for most of the rounds at a little over 30km, but I had been hesitant to do Derroura as I thought it was a lot of effort and expense for a single 16km loop - if I'd known in advance it was 2 laps and 32km there would have been no hesitation in entering.

As for photos, again I'm only seeing stuff appear on Instagram. One guy was at the first 3 rounds and will be at the last 3 too if you're looking for images - https://gallery.eightynine.media/?fbclid=PAAaaAfLxfkzkHidf6-Zex5IY7r0AomhxWvXTg3-qWcEh3H-jx9POdOp3VaaU

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Someone from Biking.ie must be reading Boards,as I noticed they've put up the 1st post on the Biking Blitz Facebook page this year on Tuesday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there a race calendar I can import into my phone to avoid races around Ticknock/Ballinastoe? Just want to avoid any weekends something is on and make sure I don't waste a journey.

It's funny it wasn't until Wednesday that I noticed the small sign at the upper car park gate at Ticknock saying the race was on. Didn't see it last week.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement

@ DaveyDave,youre safe enough for the rest of the year,the remaining Biking Blitz's are'nt in Ticknock.And the NPS race's will be held on proper course's and none are anywhere near a trail center.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah was looking at the xc nps schedule

http://irishxcnps.ie/?page_id=1918

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone doing it this year, I see the dates and locations are up.

Not at €30 a pop I'm not!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

As events go thats pretty reasonable. How much is your bike, yet you won't pay 30 euro to enter a marshalled and timed event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycling, particularly the road side, has always shot itself in the foot in some ways with cheap entry, volunteer food from club members and free marshals. It's great in that it is includive but it is a huge strain on organisers. Other sports with similar level events could be €100+ for the event. This said, I would have thought the Coillte involvement would ahve brought the price down, and maybe it has significantly. I'll pay it anyway and see how it goes. It is a pity that Cycling doesn't have a hardship fund for members to apply for for entries as I don't think if we start charging what we should be charging that it should exclude anyone.

Its a rip off,the Coillte trails are already there,so no need for a team of volunteer's to give up their free time to build a course,these Coillte trails are also free to ride 364 days a year.A NPS race is on a course that the hosting club built using their members free time,sometimes on private land that you dont ever get to ride.I'd also say that the Blitz is'nt nearly as important to win,truth be told it's early season Micky Mouse racing,yet its cheaper to enter a NPS race than the Blitz.We're nearly finished a very packed and competative Cyclo Cross season,great racing on venue's all across the land,on course's were the hosting club members have built course's over a few weeks leading up to their event,some on private estate's that we cant normally ride,and was it €30 to race any of these? Nope it was'nt,plus the CX was proper league racing,whether it was the National Series or the Provence's League,or even McCrystal's excellent league on their own track.Thats why the Blitz is a rip off in my opinion.

I'm not in the loop for cx racing, what price are the entries for the races you normally take part in? I can only compare against othe mtb races I've taking part in, and €30 seemed reasonable imo. Enduro races can be more than double that.

Its €20 to race a National Series Cycle Cross race which is 2/3's the price of the Blitz,hell to enter the Cycle Cross National Championship's (the biggest,most prestigious race of the year where National jerseys will be won) is the same entry price as the Micky Mouse Blitz!! Its only €9 per round in McCrystal's excellent weekly league and a NPS XC entry is €25.How can the blitz be more expensive to enter than the NPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Don't forget, the Blitz is run by a private company and they have costs to cover as they pay Marshall's/provide lunches... and of course try and make a living out of it for the owners...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

Blitz is also Chip timed whereas the NPS is not.

yup, nobody forcing you to enter the blitz. The point that its mickey mouse racing isn't really valid, no one including the organizers is pretending that its the national champs. It is a good way for people to dip their toes into racing. if you have any fitness at all youll have people to race against on the say.

For anyone else its a good early year target and a bit of training and craic.

But versus cx, sorry its not really a fair comparison either. cx tends to be completely dominated by fitness, to an even greater extent than xc. theres little clawback for someone who is better on the off road or tricky parts than the pure engines. so to be honest for me, not as much fun. And I have done quite a few cx races.

I've signed up for ticknock blitz.

Did 4 rounds last year, hope to go one better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How many people enter these races? I imagine you don't have the economy of scale here when it comes to funding. The women's mini marathon is also €30 and have Gardai doing road closures for that price but they have 20,000 entries and big sponsors. Judging from the marketing campaign they obviously have money.

There's always going to be marshalling and admin costs involved. Sure the Hell & Back is something mental like €70 to enter and that's just one 10k.

And they also have (or had) a big name sponsor with 2fm.

But also, funny thing is with Hell and back. In the early days it was also timed but then there was too much queuing at the features. So they scrapped that and went with the 'you conquered the course' pr crap. Seems to been a succuss for them though so, what would I know 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Do you need the annual cycling ireland insurance for this or can you pay for at each event?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

You can buy a one day licence (https://bikingblitz.ie/index.php/rules/):

• All riders must have a valid Cycling Ireland Limited Competition Licence or purchase a general one day licence at a cost of €20.
    • If you have a Cycling Ireland Leisure Licence there is a top up fee of €10.

Good luck to anyone doing rd1 tomorrow in Ballinastoe.

Hitting the road at 8.30 in the morning (3 hour drive).

Be good to get the legs moving again after the winter.

this was a tough day on the bike. was a great challenge. saved myself for the descents.. usual back and forth with being passed on climbs and catching on descents. but really enjoyed it. would be good to get the fitness up a notch for the next one.

Compared to previous years I'm able to go quicker on the first lap but the drop off after that was pretty bad. It shouldn't be surprising as I've not trained for this level of sustained effort for a long time.

I should mention that the 20 euro cycle superstore voucher was welcome

https://strava.app.link/cBxKRZ0MWGb

Post edited by Gerry on

My lower back was in bits after the first lap. Had to have a serious talk with myself to push on. Thankfully wasn't as bad the second lap but I just couldn't properly commit on the descents. Climbing was OK in comparison.

First time out on the bike in 3 months so to be perfectly honest I was simply happy to have managed to finish it as I'm certainly not where I want to be with fitness or commitment. Hopefully next round will go a little better, just gotta start getting out on the bike more, even if it's only turning the legs on a greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 indadseyes

My first post goes under this topic, hello! It was an amazing loop. I really enjoyed every bit of the race. Any idea where to find the photos taken? 

Good luck everyone for the rest of the series!

This is the gallery from one of the photographers on the day - https://gallery.eightynine.media/gallery/biking-blitz-24-ballinastoe/

The BikingBlitz page on Instagram is usually good for sharing links to photos

How was Pig dog holding up, the surface was suffering the last few weeks after the winter.

• Advertisement

I really thought it held up well. The wind seemed to help to dry the place. The surface water that often affects bstoe wasn't there. The first section yes probably a little sketch but didn't seem any worse on the second lap. It didn't seem too greasy on the almost cobbled berns.. I really enjoyed it.. Somehow pig dog escaped most of the wind, maybe its the correct side of the mountain. So was able to send it. hard tail is easier to send anyway and 2hrs into a race I was really in the zone on the descents. Like the earlier poster though, my lower back which was not happy that morning, was really bad after the race. Luckily its calmed since. A lot more training needed. Hoping some more photos will turn up.

Advertisement