Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rough kitchen price

Options
  • 20-01-2022 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi, we're just in the process of planning our extension. Would you be able to give me a rough idea of how much a straight line of kitchen units would be along with an island, excluding appliances? I know how long is a piece of string but we couldn't afford to go very high end so just wondering roughly how much we should budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

A straight line of kitchen units, with an island, jasus, not giving much to go on, at least throw in some dimensions, not less than 15k, based on near zero information

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not sure what the Irish price premium on kitchens is but below is more of less what we'll be going with and the current quote is just over £7k (no appliances) but I intend to haggle that down a few more quid. That's Howdens mid-range. I've just priced up the units via an online competitor and it's closer to £5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Ikea kitchen planner is very good and easy to use, would give you a steer for their stuff at least (and it's cheap and not bad quality at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

edit, my bad

A lot better pricing than I got with cashandcarry

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

If you just want a rough idea look at the IKEA website. They give you the cost of various sample kitchens. You can add the same again for installation. If you’re DIY savvy, the IKEA cabinets are very easy to build yourself. Hanging is slightly trickier but still very manageable and if you have builders in, they should be able to do that for you. The most expensive part of the IKEA kitchen is often the doors and counter (if you go for something fancier than laminate) so if you’re on a tight budget, consider getting the cheapest door option and upgrading them in the future. There are also several companies that do custom doors for IKEA cabinets which works out much cheaper than getting a whole custom kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Cashandcarry are a ripoff.

We have renovated houses and would usually put in a standard Kitchen similar to the one in post 3 but Ivory in colour. Same style worktops though.

Never had one cost more than €5k. The floor tiling would usually cost you at least half as much as the kitchen though if you want decent tiles. And then you have the appliances. You can go for any price on those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

sorry, have a newborn so head is all over the place! It's roughly 4.8m long. Have been gifted a smeg range which takes up 1.1m of that and have a fridge which is 908mm wide so we're hoping to go for overhead units as well as some lower units though aware space is tight for the lower units.

wow, that's a super price. Lovely kitchen! Will have a peak.

Thanks everyone. I have been out to ikea and liked some of their units but didn't really like the finishes/taps etc or the counter tops but might try and change those around. I see there was a note saying Howdens might open in Ireland in 2022 so might keep an eye open for that also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

What do people think of IKEA kitchens.... are they built to last?? Are they recommended???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We had one put into a holiday house, so in fairness not subject to the usual wear and tear of a home kitchen - but it feels excellent, hinges and doors all feel solid, drawers run smoothly and feel strong. Absolutely no complaints, and it was a lot cheaper than we were expecting. And it looks great!

The appliances would be my only gripe, I'd definitely go up the scale if we were doing it again - they do what they're meant to do, but are fairly basic quality.

But the kitchen cabinets/worktop/ island unit we're absolutely delighted with.

That's good to know. Is it possible to use different taps/sinks etc with the ikea units do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

We have our Ikea kitchen in 10 years and no problems with the structure or quality at all. We wouldn't go with their sink again just because the plumbing/drain is different to regulars and takes up a lot of space in comparison with our old one. But the flexibily to add on is great, we've been adding/removing/moving bits for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Compliments to you on that design. Am looking to bring in a ‘breakfast bar’ into my own design for my new kitchen and your looks good. Getting the extractor into a stand-alone position must be a problem... presume you had to drop the ceiling!!! I know you are talking UK .. but could you post a link to supplier to let me see some ideas etc...

Got our first quote back today. Came in a 14k without appliances or worktop. Will keep looking around! I see Howdens are going to open up here in the first quarter of the year but it's only for trade unfortunately

We have to knock out the wall between the kitchen and dining room first so getting an extractor up into the wreckage shouldn't be too bad.

That design above is from Howdens. I've taken the itemised quote and matched it with DIY Kitchens and came back a solid £2k cheaper. I want to go with Howdens as I trust the builders opinion but I'll definitely be using my new info to haggle. Our quote from Wren (not sure if they're in Ireland, we've been gone a while) was closer to £8k

Howdens only work with trade, we're buying via our builders account. The kitchen is probably the easy bit of the job we have. In saying that, I'm getting the impression the Irish premium is in full force for kitchen prices and I feel sorry for bringing UK prices into the conversation - I must ask the mother what theirs cost a few year ago. Also there is a mega price rise on materials in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

We put one in our apartment 9 years ago. Lived there for several years ourselves and we’ve rented it out since. No problems at all. Put one our house last year and very happy with it. I believe the hinges etc are made by Blum, which is a good brand. I know of a couple of others that went into rentals and have held up without problems for years.

We used a non IKEA sink in our first IKEA kitchen and no problems with it at all. Plumbers hate the IKEA sinks because the drains are non-standard. Don’t see why you couldn’t use other worktops etc too.

If you Google around a bit you’ll find lots of companies offering customisation of IKEA kitchens, including different worktops. There are loads of examples of beautiful kitchens that are IKEA units with fancier counters, appliances, tiles, etc. It’s good way to keep as much budget as possible for the things you see/touch.

Oh I didn't realise that. Will have a google now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Kitchen have to be one of the biggest mark ups on home improvements. The carcasses are just flat pack assembly and doors just need a specific drill bit. While you can spend a fortune on counter tops the Formica style tops are sturdy and look fine cost about €250 for a 3 m length. The amount of money being spoken about here is just levels of being overcharged but they are all very expensive for what you are getting. Modern plumbing is so easy too the only things you should need to pay for is the electrician and tiler. You may need to buy tools but you will have them after the kitchen is complete either buy second hand or new and sell later or even sell the 2nd hand tools after use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just go to IKEA, you'll get a fine kitchen for the money and its unbelievably easy to install yourself. The only thing I would say is buy a worktop somewhere else, the choice isnt great and they are worth spending good money on.

• Advertisement

I love the voxtorp kitchens in ikea when I went out to have a look. It was definitely the worktops/taps etc that I wasn't keen on but it's great to know that you can fit non-ikea accessories with it

One piece of advice I will give you is if you are thinking of putting a hob on an island with a mid ceiling extractor. Go to someone who has that design and cook a fry on it :) After you have to clean the counter and floor bahind it you will scratch that idea :)

It's not really an island, more of a leg but I get your point. Thankfully (I never thought I'd say that in ref to this) we're a fry-lite house so there are no oil splashes. Also, more often than not these days I just bung sausages in the airfryer yoke, it's quality.

Its not just frys that splash :)

But dont ask anyone who has spent a fortune on an island with a hoib and a lovely extractor over it. They will not want to admit what a stupid decision it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RE the IKEA units: I put budget IKEA units and doors into our utility room and got our kitchen done by Tierney's who were recommended as being higher end. Honestly, the IKEA units are holding up better and I wish I'd been able to persuade Mrs Sleepy to go with IKEA for the kitchen, would have saved about 3k and reckon I'd have gotten a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I bought my kitchen through DIY Kitchen Shop (Google them) I've posted about them previously. Once you spend over €500, all the sub units are delivered assembled.

I had it measured out and fitted it myself. Hardest part was the pelmet, trim and cutting the counter tops. Hinges and doors are all top quality. I bought the handles in Ikea.

Approx 3K for 18 units and 3 drawer unit. Counter top was extra.

I'm a sparks and my FIL is a plumber, so that saved me money

Thanks for that. Will have a look at them. That's a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

We have a hob on a counter with an extractor in a bulkhead over it, works great, delighted with the design, much more sociable than our old layout. Very useful to be able to flip pancakes across the counter to the kids in the morning for example. And we much prefer being able to face people and talk to them while cooking, rather than having your back to everyone while you stir away in a corner.

We don't do too much splashing about either, and what there is , is just a wipedown, same as a hob positioned anywhere else in the kitchen. What are you cooking that the place is such a bombsite? sausages / rashers etc go in the oven here. Maybe if you adjust your cooking methods you'll have better luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

We've a hob on the island and didn't bother with an extractor. Everyone was saying but you have to have an extractor but I know from previous places I've lived in that I rarely put it on and most of the time didn't work properly.

So I left it off my kitchen design and didn't bother with one of those fancy inbuilt hobs with extractors either. Just a regular induction hob, no extractor and no regrets. If its steamy I open a window.

Island looks great but you'd need to make sure you've enough space around the hob and across for seating so little fingers don't touch it from the other side.

My kitchen is Voxtorp both white and dark grey and love it.

• Advertisement

I just want to be able to watch the football when I'm cooking of an evening/Saturday. 80cm hob should cover most of the splash zone for easy clean-up too. I do take onboard your point but I suspect/hope we'll be alright

Advertisement