Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new Built house

Options
  • 20-01-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I moved into a new built house about 3 months ago and in last month or so I have been noticing issues with tapping noise coming from the ceilings

This happens whenever hot water is used the washrooms. The tapping noise is so loud that you can lose your sleep.

My partner works in shifts which mean she has to get ready at odd times. And soon as shower or bath is used tapping noise starts.

I have complained about this to builder lot of times the issue wasn't addressed properly.

I feel Builder didn't do their job properly due to which this is happening. There are about 50 odd house and none seem to have this issue

Would any of you know if I can take any legal actions on them? 😕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My best guess is the plumber didn't put enough space around a pipe and when the water runs it expands and is making the knocking noise off a joist.

Can you go into the attic and trace the noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yip, had this problem in a house years ago, pipe rattled when heating was on, traced the pipe and packed insulation at contact point to stop rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I'd hazzard a guess and say it would probably be cheaper, and faster, if you just got a plumber out to have a look and fix what needs doing, rather than going a legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭fido_dido

Hi @rob316, Tired sitting in the attic to figure out where that noise came from with all the taps running. To my surprise there was absolutely no noise there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

So is it in the walls? In the cavity?

Make sure you only turn on what you usually would, not all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Do you have a combi boiler with a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I have that exact tapping. Took me about 2 years to figure out the location. Mostly I have it in winter. In my case it came from a soil pipe hitting an RSJ when expanding after WC or shower above or below were used. They are big pipes and are often carelessness wedged in. Still have not found a plumber willing to deal with it. All it needs is a bit of felt put in between the contact areas.

I also have experienced tapping from copper pipe runs for heating however new houses tend not to run copper in ceilings.

Just to add, the reason it took so long for me to find the source is that I'd only hear the sound when I run hot water, but the space where the sound was formed was separated from the WC by tiling, so all the heavy WC tiles was great sound proofing and meant the sound seemed to come from the ceiling but it really was coming from an upper corner of the wall. Get your house drawings and use them to find out exactly where the soil pipe runs and see if you can rule it out. You prob wont be totally sure until you make an inspection hole in the plasterboard at the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

Does it only happen when you shut off the tap?

You probably need something like a Water Hammer Arrestor.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have this noise for the first few minutes when the combi gas boiler is turned on. Is it serious. I was also worried a pipe was expanding and could burst.

• Advertisement

This keeps happening for a long time even after the tap is turned off.

I have air to water heat pump. I don't if its same as a combi boiler.

I am pretty sure its in the walls. I noticed that sound comes from where ever there are soil pipes running through.

As you have figured out where this is coming from, do you think its going to be expensive to get it fixed?

the starts as soon as I start using hot water. When cold water is used. I haven't noticed it.

Just in case someone wants to hear how loud that is. I have attached a video there.

That is louder than my case but the sound is similar. I am not a plumber so I am not sure what they charge, but I don't think changing a section of soil is usually particularly difficult. In fact if this is the issue, they wouldn't even need to replace it, they just need to disassemble it and cut around what it is hitting. Complicating factors would be the ease of access, how much plaster board or studs are in the way, is a floor in the way or a RSJ. In my case the location is very awkward so I am waiting to do other jobs in the area to justify the expense (eg. running extra internet cable and speaker cable). It is a fixable problem so dont give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Don't even think about threatening legal action. The builder will tell you to feck off and will wait and delay until the day before.

And that will be in 2025.

Ask the foreman (if builder is still on site) to send the plumber to you. Or ask the builder if he could send the plumber down.

Tried that. The plumber seem hesitant to fix any thing and ended up saying it will go away in time. This is what I am bothered about. I can't lose my sleep(literally) till there is this issue.

Advertisement