Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butt hair matting (dog)

Options
  • 20-01-2022 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

Our (long haired) dog has a small bit of butt hair matting and I'd like to resolve it before it becomes a problem. It's not big or obstructing poop, but it's very hard and I'm reluctant to snip as it's close to the skin. I think it's annoying him. It's so hard that water doesn't seem to soften it. He's a water-averse breed, and I don't want to over-stress him with a 30 minute targeted shower. Is the there something that's good for disolving the matting or should I go to vet/groomer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I’d leave it to a vet or groomer, matting can be incredibly painful to brush out, and if it’s down to the skin there’s a risk of cutting or grazing the skin if you try and clip it out. Sometimes you just have to get it shaved and start again, it’ll give a fresh canvas to keep brushing so it doesn’t matt up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Shih Tzu hates being brushed and hides under the coffee table when the brush appears.

I bought the detangle spray but as soon as he sees the bottle coming out, he's gone.

Any ideas to keep him matt free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's best going to a groomer and asking for a sanitary clip. It's a pretty common thing where the hair around the genitals is trimmed to, as the name suggests, keep the hair mat free and not catching poop and urine.

The mats likely are annoying him and left for too long can start pinching and bruising skin.

Lots and lots of positive association. You may have to start with just leaving the brush in sight and giving treats or praise. Once your dog is used to that, then start picking up the brush and giving your dog treats or praise. Then moving closer with the same response until you can touch the dog with the brush. Even at that, stop, lots of praise until your dog can be touched with the brush without panicking. Then a swipe. Then two swipes. And so on. It won't be done in a day, or even a week but the idea is to associate the brush with good things.

It might also be easier to bring the dog in for a groom to make his coat more manageable, so the brush isn't just pulling his hair and making him uncomfortable. You can get a sedated groom for a calmer experience.

Thanks, a lot, he's actually great in the groomer, thankfully.

I try to keep his coat short enough as well, but even so, he needs grooming. He will let you brush him to a point, but he hates his paws and under his chin. Once he has enough, away under the table. I think maybe I am over brushing him and it's his way of saying enough is enough. Or I was thinking he might not like the smell or squirt of the detangler stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Many dogs don't like sprays. It's just one of those things that needs to be trained in a lot of dogs. I'd keep going as above and begin associating the problem areas with treats and praise. How is he with touching those areas? If he's not good, I'd start with that. If he allows you to touch them, then I'd groom the rest of the dog and then put the brush down before giving these areas a quick pet and then treat. Then longer pets, and treat. Then touch with the brush, and pet, then treat. Then a swipe with the brush, and pet, then treat. And so on.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think I need to spray my hands or the brush, rather than spray at him like a water pistol. He is ok with being touched anywhere. He will wriggle around and not like it, but will put up with it for a short while, before hiding under the coffee table. I have a slicker brush, I hope it is going deep enough to get to the matting. I cant see any matting on him, so we will when he gets groomed this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd be inclined to lose the slicker brush... they can be really sore especially if they come into contact with the skin. They're really only meant for running through long hair, eg leg feathering, without touching the skin.

I'd be much more inclined to, as you're doing, spray the detangling spray onto your hands and comb it through the coat with your fingers. Rightly or wrongly, I use a human hairbrush to comb through a tangly coat, having sprayed the hairbrush first, and worked some of it through the coat with hands and fingers. It seems to be far better tolerated by dogs who don't like other, proper grooming brushes and combs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

L’Oréal (kids) super pear detangle spray is really good - it’s in a green bottle and will be beside kids shampoo. I’ve used it for matting and to remove tons of burrs when the dogs brushed past them and got them all over their tails and feathers. For big mats cut down through them to split them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's what I use too tk123, because theyre worth it 😂

🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I use a tangle teaser for everyday maintenance of my poodle pal, they make pet versions too but I just use an ordinary one.

Groomer told me tangle teaser not enough to stop matting. Not getting to the roots.

So far so good with my boy. Poodles love a belly rub so I can brush him and check. I'd lightly shave around his belly groin area too and he gets a bath once a week too so that probably helps. Also he's still a puppy so his coat may get more challenging

Also poodles love water

Once a week! Mine get washed a few times a year max lol. Rory is 8 months now and has been washed once when he was covered in sand from head to toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

if you have a beard clipper just shave it all off very easy & wont hurt i have a dog wit h this issue and just clip it off a 15.00 euro clippers from lidl will do the job. Keep it neat & trimmed.

Advertisement