Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being scammed/made a fool of?

Options
  • 20-01-2022 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Since last Nov a young lad called to the door offering power washing and a copper solution treatment for keeping moss off the driveway for up to 12 months.

He seemed nice but I didn't have any money to pay him. He kept coming back until I told him early next year I might be able to.

So, on Monday just passed he and his father called around ready to do the power washing. I fully admit under pressure I'm a push over. The initial price I agreed with his son was €200 but it just kept rising the more I talked to him. He'd turn a corner and say he could also do that for 100 but he'll take 50.

So the drive way is about 120sqm max. I was charged €400. And I don't think any solution treatment was used by the looks of it.

I've only paid €80 so far as I didn't have the money to pay in full and he'll be back in Feb after I get paid.

Anyone I talk to about it think I'm an absolute idiot. I'd agree. It's going to blow my last few months savings just because I was too stupid to haggle.

Since it was reluctantly agreed before hand do I have the right to pay them less and if so any advice on how to approach it? If anyone has knowledge to share on how to check if there was any treatment done I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did the price increase from the original quote? The deal should be the deal unless he has made you aware of a reason it should rise and then he should agree it with you before proceeding. Did you get the quote in writing? Did he give you an invoice for the work and amount outstanding?

If it's a VAT registered company I'd give them the €120 and not a penny more. If it's not a VAT registered company my decision would be based on how intimidating they looked as to how much I'd give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭Deeec

This guy has kept calling round to you because you showed interest - they seen you as easy. Usually the type of guys that do this type of work are from a certain shall we say 'ethnic' group. Be very very aware - don't agree to pay them anything more than the initial 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭standardg60

Next time they call just tell them to get off your property before you call the guards, deny all knowledge of them, simple as.

They don't have any evidence of doing any work for you so it works both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4 denismoc

Nothing registered or in writing. Just them and their van.

While he was half way through he knocked on the door to show me but then pointed to the part the goes around the back of the house stating he'll do it for 50. Which I thought was already included. He did that twice more.

They're not too intimidating but very fast talkers. I hardly have time to reply. They told me they live nearby though which I'm not sure is good or bad at this point. Or if it's even the truth.

Yeah as much as I hate to say it your right.

I've contacted him since trying to find out what chemicals he used. I text him asking for the brand and he called me back and got another guy to tell me that he used Thompsons Drive Seal.

After I looked that up I knew I've been scammed. They only did basic power washing, nothing more.

I'm going to call him on Monday and tell him that's all he's getting.

• Advertisement

I wish it could be that simple.

I wouldn't have the confidence to successfully pull that off either. Plus I do want to pay them for at least the power washing. I know they tried scamming me but I want to show them that you can be paid a fair a mount for fair work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭Deeec

Dont worry - you live and learn. I know it is tempting when these guys call to the door - it appears a good deal.

When they call round for the money make sure you have someone with you. They should run a mile when they realise you are onto their scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dublin49

and then your car gets keyed or something else,best to reach a settlement,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's best to never ever ever engage in business with unsolicited callers at your house as it usually ends in tears. I always will say I powerwash, clean the gutter, etc etc myself or say the house is rented and I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Dont even call them back, dont engage with them whatsoever, you should not be ringing them, just ignore or if they try to get anything by menacing you, call the Gardai on the spot.

If it comes to that, tell the Gardai you paid them for a job and you regret it now as they are demanding more than what they quoted you originally, the Gardai will be well wide to this and would be unlikely to belive a word they say.

1. Lesson learned, do not engage with these sorts
    2. If they cross your path, dont even express any interest or that you might even have money, never turn your back on them or let them in to use the toilet or even look around your property.
    3. I take the ignore, deflect, not interested, dont have the money response, lastly do I resort to telling them to pi$$ off, but only if they are persistant and get hostile.

imo, if you say you dont have the money from the get go, then thats all they are interested in, that can be enough to deflect them dont encourage con artists by engaging people for services unsolicited.

EDIT

DONT ring them, you are only reminding them who you are, call Gardai as necessary and dont deal with unsolicited callers.

I will say, I do not refuse to answer the door to these sorts or open the window and see who is calling (I wont even go downstairs and waste my energy and time), opening an upstairs window, lets them know someone is there and may be better for quieter sorts as it prevents them literally getting their foot in the door OR talking you into anything.

Just say NOT INTERESTED, or NO thanks, bye and shut the door/window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You've been 100% had.

Have you checked out your home to make sure that nothing is missing?

A well known tactic of these "travelling salesmen" is coming in under pretence of power washing or some other minor maintenance and using it as an excuse to get in around your place to see what you have that might be worth returning for at a later date to rob. While doing the ruse work they are spending time at your home so they can build up a picture of your movements, do you have visitors, how many people in the household, what times you come and go away etc and they might decide that your home would be a good candidate return to in the future to break into and clean out.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I've learnt the hard way from these unsolicited callers. They are in my area constantly, they usually call to your house saying they are in the area doing a neighbour's house and saw your garden or gutters needed work etc.

They usually quote really exorbitant prices if engaged, and will even fake upper middle class accents to put you off guard.

If you ever let them do any work, and providing it's not a completely shoddy job, (and they disappear) they will continuously call back over the years looking to rip u off again.

Absolute chancers. Best advice is to not engage with them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Good advice offered already, but I'd like to chime in with my experiences or rather those of a family member's neighbour. Family member's next door neighbour engaged a pair of cold callers to powerwash his roof. Once they arrived to do the job, they started to offer other services- taking down a tree, more powerwashing elsewhere etc. The neighbour was naive and vulnerable to be honest, agreeing to pay a hugely inflated price for what would be less than a half days work for two men. Luckily my family member and friend became aware of the situation and intervened, finally convincing these chancers to leave after he had already given them more than €700 in cash (they "worked" for less than 2 hours). Foolishly he had invited them into his house and told them he kept cash there! These two buckos were from a certain ethnic minority and were all business and friendly until they knew their ruse had been rumbled and then they were very intimidating/ menacing. My own neighbour got caught by another pair a couple of years ago- they did a terrible job, and managed to spray dirt onto my property in the process. So I say to anyone looking to get work done around your property- never, ever deal with cold callers, if they don't try and rip you off they are almost certainly unlikely to do a good job. Reputable business do not trade from unmarked vans or engage in cold calling tactics to drum up business. Unfortunately there will probably always be victims who succumb to these tactics.

Advertisement