Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Raheny 5 mile

• 19-01-2022 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

I see it’s a sellout, which is great. Any idea on numbers, and is the course the same as before?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

As far as I know its the same course and there were approx 4000 that ran it in 2020. Would prob need a Raheny member here to confirm if its the same numbers and course though.

Post edited by Lambay island on

• More importantly is there a goody bag?

Probably not because of touching the bags and handing them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just wondering what is the significance of the different colour of the arrows on the map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

No idea! Lifted it off their site for the 2019

race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The course is an anti-clockwise figure 8.

At the start you stay running left handed until you reach the area just after the school and Gaa club where map turns yellow, it takes a left and a right fairly soon after onto All Saints Road, that's the yellow section until you meet the main Howth Rd again.

The orange for the last mile is to help to indicate you actually run back against an earlier part of the route close to the finish along Wade's Avenue.

A great route and less incline than the previous route where you came back up from the coast road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don't know what the number was capped at this year, but can confirm no goody bag or post-race refreshments in the hall. Everyone will still receive the finisher's plaque. I'll probably be marshalling somewhere, good luck to all.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Are race entry transfers allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Runner100

Hi

I have signed up for the Raheney 5 mile - really looking forward to it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a running group / club ? I live in Drumcondra all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I run 6 - 10 Km regularly, just finding it tough going at the moment. Need a change.

Thanks

Fiona

• Advertisement

• Clonliffe Harriers AC are a few miles up the road from you in Santry Stadium.

Just google them and you will find the number and days when you can join.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

No goody bag 😭 that's the whole reason of entering the race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Raheny isn't a million miles away and is a great club for all standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Really looking forward to this one. Not just because it’s a race but it’s such a well regarded one. In the past has usually clashed with other commitments. This year I made sure I could even shoehorn it into my training schedule!

One for the local experts actually, where are near suggestions for parking and getting there on the day. Not at all familiar with the locality so any tidbits beyond anything that gets sent out in pre-race info would be very useful (especially as I need to have my mam cart the little one around while myself and wife run! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Best place could be the back of raheny shopping centre, back of supervalu. Think you're allowed couple of hours parking. Other than that its mainly street parking, unless you park in St. Anne's and walk up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Looking forward to the Raheny 5, Cant believe it's 11 years since my last one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

There is a large car park beside the Church also, another opposite SV and another beside the tennis courts in the park near the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

to be honest, kinda happy no goody bag. Just a nice race is all we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Silly question but are there mile or km markers on the course?

Over the years I think it was miles as 5 miles is a bit longer than 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I think there are usually mile markers on the course. The only one I have ever really noticed over the years has been the 4 mile marker board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Great race and you could feel the buzz of excitement for it. Bloody hell though, epic fail on the distance. That extra 2 minutes of running was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Great race and atmosphere, great to get back to a bit of normality 😃 got 8.58 km on my Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Yeah great day and atmosphere, pity about the 8.57km though. Obviously put the turnaround cone in the wrong spot as markers were spot on until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlfleming

Yes, the turnaround was circa 250m further down the avenue (vs previous years) adding the extra 500m approx.

yeah - very surprising. I’m sure it was measured correctly and the cones extended to a different marker on the avenue when the route being setup.

At least it wasn't just me left feeling like I had gone a tad long. Initally worried the watch had a hiccup (admitedly, it's the first time to actually race with it. I've covered my experience in my own race report on my log (shameless self-promotion, I know). The bright spots were been back in a race atmosphere and having an absolutely brillant race in my own part. Really happy with my pace and felt I could push on when I had to. Disappointing about the apparent measurement hiccup. Ultimately, Manchester is the main goal and I wasn't going to compromise training for it (otherwise I wouldn't have done 18 miles yesterday). The wife, who also ran the race, is probably more annoyed about it.

Weather played ball, which was nice for most of us. Got in just before the rain. The little one did well been carted around by my mother, albeit a little grouchy (she should of slept on the way up!). A lot of positives for myself personally to take away from the day,

• Advertisement

Extra two mins was hell. But raheny always do a good race and I am sure they are gutted over this

They mismeasured the masters XC in st Anne’s a few weeks ago as well, almost 200m long on a 6km race.

bizarre they didn’t doublecheck this, 3 weeks later.

Being off by 500m is more than a human error surely! Made a balls of trying to judge a finish line sprint, but didn’t take away from a great day out

Surprised nothing from them on social or their website. Surely they knew it was off with the first finishers.

With the XC, they updated the distance on myrunresults after a day or two, so the time/distance/pace matched with the watch time (or as close as it normally would)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Heard someone put the turn at the sport for the race walking champs that were on there a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I saw Fionnuala finishing in 27 and a half I knew it was way over. She would have been close to 26 otherwise. My wife and many running buddies got it at 8.5 - 8.6 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah agreed. There's not a big online lambasting going on (that I can see), so hopefully people still have goodwill towards them - but no doubt they are scratching their heads over how it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I was wondering alright what the 4 mile marker was doing at 7km. These things happen. No excuses for not being able to do the next 5 mile in a good time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Such a pity about the extra distance - first time doing it and thought everything else about it was spot on. Fair play to Raheny and the sheer numbers of volunteers they had out. real buzz about the place and good to see that kind of race back again and the kind of numbers taking part. Even the weather played ball for the most part on what’s been a changeable day.

Lovely tribute to Pat Hooper at the start too

Very little head scratching required - the turnaround in the park was 250m too far forward.

on a course with the same start and finish line, the U-turn around the cones is the way to tune the course to the precise distance - the rest of the course is immaterial, so to speak.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with today’s race, which was an error, but XC distances are usually approximate. Not unusual to be a bit longer or shorter than the stated distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Just a guess, but did they accidentally use the parkrun junior turnaround mark? That's along the same avenue.

I was so deflated in the last 800m as I thought I was running an awful time. My legs were dead but if I had known I was actually doing a decent time I could have raised a gallop for the last 300m.

Such a pity because in every other way it's a wonderful event, a real community highlight every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

Great to be back racing and to see the crowds, fantastic atmopshere and the organisation that goes in to such an event has to be commended. At the end of the day it is volunteers giving of their free to organise the race. However, very disappointing about the extra distance as times were affected. I wonder would it be possible for my run results to adjust the times..similar to what happened in Belfast a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Great race, and great event. I walked down the avenue this morn well before the race and said to the wife "that turn looks like its in the wrong spot", and then when we got to the parkrun finish line I said "Ah, they have changed the route, we are joining the avenue here and not at the start of the avenue, that makes sense". I'd hazard a guess that there was a minor but ultimately crucial miscommunication between organisers and marshals somewhere along the line, somewhere along the lines of "it always goes this way...."

Enjoyable race, well organised and **** happens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've got huge respect for Raheny as an athletics club but I'm quite disappointed that there's been no official statement/apology for what happened today. There's nothing wrong with holding your hands up when there's been an obvious error. It's the one thing you have to get right if you're organising a road race and they screwed it up. Apologise and then explain what you're going to do to prevent it happening again. There's a race report on the results site at the moment that doesn't even mention the issue. Very poor response.

Yes, and they have stopped calling it the Raheny 5 Mile, they now refer to the “Raheny 5”.

surprised they didn’t acknowledge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Lets be honest if it was Belfast and the likes people would be slaughtering them here.

3000 entries with them pulling in tens of thousands in money and nobody thought they'd check the route to make sure.

Can't blame the contractor for everything.

The silence is terrible also.

Should be treated like any other race for such a bad mistake

I don’t believe Raheny said anything after the XC either, but as someone said above, the XC route by its nature will vary, albeit this was a big enough variation - however a few days later the myrunresults distance was updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Luckily for me in hindsight I had been building back miles at home so had to give it a miss, had tweaked something was amiss when the live results feed didn't update until nearly 25 mins in.

It's the only place on the route that this could have happened, the rest of the course is turns based on junctions. It's a fair distance to be out by even if you were basing it off a mapped drawing from the previous running in 2020.

A pity as it's an excellent club and the race is usually one of the best each year. Sh*t happens to the best of us as it has been said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement