Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there any bikes to be had?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Stupid bike to work ruining my purchase, my employer and my wife’s employer both use third party’s who won’t let you buy from canyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

went to a shop last month asked about a cube attain can get one in wait for it next november only a decent bike nothing special but that was the answer i got .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2022 Orbea with 10 speed Tiagra for €2399.

In my mind that’s savage dear & I feel for anyone after a quality bike this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Scott addict 40 in wheelworx for 2099

Crazy price considering you can get a canyon, with an ultegra groupset with power meter for 2,900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

I was playing with the idea of getting a new road bike last year but crazy pricing and waiting lists made my mind up for me. I got a new set of wheels and upgraded the groupset on my existing bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

prices gone a bit mad anything with even 105 is 1600 approx from what i can see .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Double check with your employer if they can deal directly with Canyon.

I checked with my HR and was initially told "no, not a chance". I then explained what was actually happening and that the middlemen effectively do nothing to reduce effort involved and for me would actually cost me about €400 or €500 when buying a bike (loss of any possible discount and admin fee). HR were of the belief that the middlemen company were required for the process: using info from revenue.ie I managed to reset that view.

HR then changed their position and as long as Accounts Payable were happy to set up a new vendor then HR were happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep; thankfully with my employer it's always been a case simply of the team assistant ringing the shop and paying for the bike directly with the company credit card. no fuss.

Lately I've seen the 2022 Orbea Avant models (Alu) with 105 disc going for a more reasonable 1799, they use cheaper cranks and cassettes though I'd maybe have bought one but for the fact they were too big for me. I still think that is maybe 200 over the odds though.

Was that Tiagra model full hydraulic disc groupo even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not sure how you feel about buying a bike from Decathlon but some of their bikes looks like excellent value.

Carbon frame set, 105 Ultegra mix, hydraulic discs and tubeless ready wheels for €2000. There's a few other decent looking bikes marked as in stock too.

https://www.decathlon.ie/road-racing-bikes/324411-91480-road-bike-edr-cf-105-disc-black.html#/demodelsize-200s/demodelcolor-8581111?queryID=600bf948f70a941ab4041b9e0c182c74&objectID=4005180

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Unfortunately Decathalon’s “in stock” doesn’t mean it’s in Dublin. You need to click on Store Availibility which uses cookies to check local availability!

That's true but you can have it delivered regardless for €15. Some assembly required I'd imagine.

Below is standard delivery to Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in the men's racing bike section on the site, there's not a single model or size which is listed as available in ballymun. however, that one above does seem to be available as an online purchase in M and S, were you happy to purchase a bike sight unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Looking at the address on the bottom of a homepage and they're an English company?

Price of bikes definitely through the roof just like most products from food to paper at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fairly sure it was. This model incorporates the new pricing level with the one you saw at 2021 pricing maybe?

The "2022" Avant I threw my leg over in Cork when I was there for work a few weeks ago is same spec the 2021 Avant that never shipped anywhere in big numbers due to Covid I reckon and now I check with Orbea was 200 cheaper than their RRP of €1999 Yeah so maybe a 2021 model and pricing.

Last time I was over, they had a few of the hire end models on the floor even though they were out of stock.

I like the look of the above model with Campag Centaur for €200 less. Currently out of stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is it simply a supply and demand case as to why the prices have gotten out of hand?

i think the major factories in the far east were badly hit by covid, and closed for a while, that with the increased demand, and Brexit into the mix.

Giant seem impossible to get, shops are only getting them in ones, and twos.

• Advertisement

I was reading somewhere the other day there is a serious issue with supply of shipping containers in a lot of places with significant wait times for them.

That price of containers has shot up too, could cause shipping companies to hold off untill they 100% pack to the brim where they may have sailed at 80-90% before? God knows, that's wild speculation but it does account for increased prices for the end user.

i heard in some podcast that in the states, supply lines were under so much pressure than truck drivers were driving containers from, say, the coast to las vegas, and not waiting for the container to be emptied - they'd just hot foot it back to the port without the container. so the containers were just piling up at the destinations and restricting the supply of empty ones.

The old standard would be to drop a trailer and collect a new one for the return journey. It would be very unlike a haulage company to spend diesel without a fare hanging off the back of a truck.

Less time waiting, more time driving and pretty much always making money is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I think the issue is shipping from factories along with shortage of gear-sets..previously you could just order a bike in at any dealer or bike shop..now no such luxury and people are buying what is available ! Shimano gear-set shortage fuels this further !

no wonder no new models for 2022 introduced by biggies like giant yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I tried to buy a bike of canyon but they will only sell to the value of the bike to work. So if the bike is 1500 you can not buy. I tried everything but no joy. The only way was get the company to buy the bike and I could pay back the company. I work in the public and although I probably could of pushed the case I gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm surprised, because when I approached Canyon about the same thing, they told me it ws no problem at all, I'd just have to make the payment of the extra myself. The only reason I didn't go with Canyon in the end was that my employer has a window in which the cycle to work scheme operates, and Canyon wouldn't allow me to pre order the bike, I could only make the purchase once the bike was in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I was trying over a year ago. Might have a go again as never used the scheme in the end. Thanks Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Beans_On

Yeah dealing Canyon at the moment. They won't give me a split invoice and my employer flatly won't accept an invoice that exceeds 1250.

• Advertisement

I literally screenshotted a conversation the utter day whereby they said absolutely no problem splitting an invoice and using bike to work. I can’t use it unfortunately as my employer uses third party vouchers.

I would take what they say with spicy of salt though. Even though they told me it was no problem, a friend of mine tried it last year and he said they wouldn’t do it.

Advertisement