Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chassis/Vin number Rust CVRT or NCT

Options
  • 18-01-2022 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I've just come back from a CVRT test to a failure due to unreadable chassis number, the chassis number is punched into the wheel well behind the wheel (seems like a daft place to put it) but due to some surface rust it's become very hard to read.

I'm sending it to a mechanic to fix some minor suspension issues so he'll try and clean it up but worst case scenario is that it's still not fully legible.

Has anyone any ideas of any way to fix or way around the CVRT if it's still unreadable after it's cleaned. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm just having nightmares of having to scrap it but think that it must be common place in chassis numbers on wheel arches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Buffman

It should clean up enough to be legible with a wire brush hopefully. If the rust was serious enough to have completely destroyed it, you'd have failed the test for rust. Worst case scenario would be having to get it re-stamped on, which is handy enough.👍️

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect a spray of WD and a wipe should do.... wire brush might make worse...

Advertisement