Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should child benefit/children’s allowance be taxed?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you were an employer would you employ those sorts of people? And why do they need child care if they are not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If you think €1680 is all you get per child per year you live a very sheltered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What you fail to understand and has already been pointed out is the cost of implementing such a system and the maintenance cost of a system.

Not only do you have to maintain the new system you must also maintain the old system for people who didn't make the claim at time. People can talk about better ways but they are not aware of the laws and policies that restrict changes. It is just simpler to pay it through social welfare the department budgeted for distributing. Ever child is entitles and no means test.

As for the quality of life for people living with social welfare as their sole means of income are not living well no matter what somebody says about somebody with 10 kids and a free house. They and and their children will live in poverty with the children probably ending up in a similar situation as their parents once they have kids. They live in a different society to most working people and one most people wouldn't live themselves.

• If you think a discussion about child benefit has anything to do with other state allowances etc then you are the one in a fantasy land here.

But the bigger delusion is definitely the notion having kids = profit

I’ve two of them. It’s the most unprofitable business imaginable 😂

ah here and this isn’t even the first time I’ve pointed this out to you!! Same shite the second time round! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Tow

It is much more profitable to have foster children, the allowance is weekly and tax free. https://www.tusla.ie/services/alternative-care/foster-care-old-page/becoming-a-foster-carer/support-and-allowances/

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It is indeed but Jacinta and Anto might have difficulty getting past the "are you fit to be a parent" screening test so don't think that one will take off.

I don't recall engaging you in the quoted post. Trying to claim that you only get 1680 for having a kid is laughable.

• From child benefit, absolutely.

what’s entirely laughable is the fact you think having kids is somehow profitable.

goes to show you definitely haven’t a clue.

It is a pity Jacinta and Anto don't need to pass a test before being able to produce their own. It would a lot of social problems.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Who exactly are Anto and Jacinta, and who gave anyone the right to say if they reproduce or not? I grew up on social housing btw

• Advertisement

• Boards did, where if you are on welfare you’re literally worse than Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's a payment for basic expenses Re having children clothes shoes food it would be pointless to tax it I think a couple with a salary over 60k should not get it. Its ridiculous to be giving an allowance to someone on 80k or 100k they can afford to buy food clothes books etc

I've work full time. I've no kids as I cannot afford them. I've a decent job. I rent a room in a house share. I've multiple monthly bills. I've no Sky, no car, haven't been away on holidays longer than a weekend since 2005. I've to pay €65 if I want a 15 minute consultation with my doctor.

Some of mother's neighbour's, in the council estate I grew up in and who I went to school with, haven't worked a day in their life. They have council houses at a fraction of the rent I pay. They have kids. They have Sky. They have cars, i'd say 70% at least. 3 of the families hit Benidorm together in June of every summer, I've an open invite that I can't afford. They think I'm saving for a mansion and don't believe me when I say I can't afford a proper holiday.

They must think I'm some mug.

No it isn't ridiculous at all. The people you think earn enough pay the majority of the taxes for everyone else and should get something for their taxes. Child benefit is for all children living here and that will not change nor should it. A couple on a salary of €60k aren't even earning the national industrial wage and that is not much money if living in Dublin. You may not know many people on higher wages but they aren't rich and are taxed very heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭MakersMark

You'd change your tune if you earned more.

My tax bill last year paid the dole for approx 6.3 people.

And you think my children allowance should be taxed?

I already pay WAY too much in tax.

It's not a payment for basic expenses, because there is no means test. The woman (and it is a woman by default in the legislation), can use it for whatever she likes.

Most of his posts about money seemed to illustrate he doesn't know anyone who isn't in poverty and thinks the whole of Ireland live like himself and friends. The idea of somebody earning a good salary to him seems to be offensive.

I hear these stories over and over again but how realistic is it? Are they making income from somewhere else?

There is no way these people are living like this on social welfare payments what they are is criminals. They either work a job for cash in hand or selling "things" to make money. If it bothers you report them. There is no way they are living a good life. If you are on a decent wage and can't afford a decent holiday then it is not a decent wage. You could be saving for a house but 17 years with out a holiday doesn't add up with decent wage and saving.

Maybe revise the decent to average wage, it's decent for where I'm from, minus tax, minus rent, minus bills and helping pay for a sister through university equals feck all savings unfortunately. I'll never own or rent a property of my own in Ireland. My hope is that if I keep an AVC topped up, I'll have enough of a lump sum to buy a place in the sun when I decide to retire. I've been on a few holiday, maybe 2 weekends a year, but nothing for a week or so.

The ones I know might do the odd bit of hairdressing, or labouring here and there, but no whiff of anything long or even medium term. No dealing or anything like that. They just know how to milk the system.

The good part about living in close knit communities like that is the amount of information everyone knows about their neighbours. And that is good for law abiding citizens who are concerned about neighbours living beyond their means. They can be reported anonymously to Social Welfare and/or Revenue.

https://www.ros.ie/online-enquiry-web/goodCitizen;rjsessionid=DE87616018DE52B9DFBA08AD654C66E2?execution=e1s1

• Advertisement

Often they are not only on social welfare payments, it is all about milking the system. A common one it not paying their electric/gas bill until they receive a notice of being cut off. Then it is down to see the local Welfare Officer/SVDP with cut off notice in hand and children in tow. Bill gets paid and the process is repeated, year in year out.

• Well of course she can? (It’s a woman by default by the way, cos it’s paid to the mother automatically)

much the same way rent allowance is for paying rent, but plenty of folks spend it on everything but. It’s like any money, you can give it and detail it’s for a specific purpose, thing is, they can’t make you spend it a certain way.

Rent Supplement is means tested, unlike CB. But yes, we can agree that any income can be spent however they like, even if another poster thinks CB is a payment for basic children's expenses. Again impressive knowledge about what plenty of folks are spending their rent money on. I wouldn't have a clue what my neighbours are up to.

Rent Supplement is paid to people renting from private landlords. Not to be confused with people renting council houses, where the rent is set according to a household's ability to pay.

That’s the problem -boards generally know very little of the reality of poverty.

And it’s child poverty that is really the important aspect of this discussion: its money that’s really needed by more vulnerable children. The type of kids that get left behind and don’t end on on boards.ie of an evening.

Post edited by bejeezus on

If you are paying for somebody going to college then that is a hefty expense. Saving a lump sum for retirement purchase now is a terrible financial decision. You are getting not tax relief on it and getting little to no interest. Put into a pension fund and get the tax credit and you get a lump sum on retirement. It is also a big assumption that property in the sun remains affordable.

Those odd jobs are tax free and on top of their payment so adds up to a lot more money than you. They aren't milking the system they are cheating the system and criminals in the process. I wouldn't let it bother me and just report them. That is your tax money they are stealing. Selling and buying on adverts is a big thing and money is made on it.

• im not sure why that’s being directed at me when I’ve done nothing but defend CB as a vital payment that should be left well enough alone. Any nonsense about people having babies for CB is just that- nonsense.

Sorry Alena Colossal Timber ! I took your sarcastic comment as literal there. Just a misunderstanding! I’ll take your name off and leave it as a general comment

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

€1400 a year would pay for a hell of a lot of doctors appointments and prescriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Isn't it a bit silly to tax children's allowance?

Our tax pays for it. So we would be taxing something that tax paid for. People would then moan and complain it should be higher. But as it stands, with the cost of living going up, the allowance will go up over time.

Advertisement