Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You should be more objective in general. Quick to find holes in anyone but Federers game. But I suppose he only ever lost due to mitigating factors. Never had a weakness, going by your posting history. Every other player though, full of weaknesses

Wrong again!

I've no interest in bigging-up Federer

Even the most miserable Djokovic antagonists on this forum would acknowledge that's who I support (hence the weighting on mental strength and clutch points, which was never a Fed-forte! and is the biggest failing of your beloved Shapo)

😂

Well then you've changed man, gloryhunting. Jump to the winner. Years of Federer fanboy posts off you.

My favourite player was Paul-Henri Mathieu. But have alot of respect for Hewitt and what he achieved. Never seen a player able to place the ball with such precision. Countered all his many weaknesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭poppy37

I hope Barty wins the final, I can’t take to Collins at all, both semi finals were very poor but there have been some great matches over the past 12 days.

I am probably in the minority but I like the unpredictability of the women’s tour.

• Advertisement

never was a Federer fan

completely arseways you have it

he was always my least favoured of the big 3 as I find him a bit of a fake tbh

I may have had to acknowledge that he was decent as it would be stupid to otherwise

Djokovic's mental resilience has lessons for us all

Paul-Henri Mathieu - oh - edgy.

Edgy stuff man.

Tell me more - you were big into "The arcade fire" before they became famous - weren't you?

I saw that you threw that out there completely randomly recently and precisely nobody took the bait.

likewise in this case!

The bait? I've regularly mentioned him over the last few years. Can quote the messages tomorrow if you want?

Specifically mentioned him a few months ago criticising the modern generation, in terms of having the balls to take the game to the establishment players. No one from such a young age came so aggressively onto the scene. New players could learn a thing or two.

My comment recently about him was genuine. Technically the best player I've ever seen. No one ever had his shot selection or ball placement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Can we get back to talking about the Australian Open please? Take the sniping elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1 to all of this!

Definitely would favour Barty above Collins, but it'll be some slugfest!

I think Barty has more subtlety to her game though, I have high hopes she'll see it through. And she'll have the crowd 100% behind her (which Collins acknowledged in her post match interview today).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Deleted

Woke up and checked match on phone

Nadal just hitting low-risk shots to Berrettini's backhand and he hits plenty of them into the net or tees up an easy put-away.

His backhand is actually even worse than Roddick's I think

Missing easy forehands also

Set and two breaks up. Done

Thanks Australia for this shite instead of ND playing a proper match. Good job.

Back to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Your favourite player was Mathieu. Hipster alert over here haha , he never made it to a quarter final

Jaysus, sorry to hear your sleep was disturbed by such sloppy play. The absolute cheek of them.

Do you hold everyone in your life to the same stratospheric standards, or just tennis players? (Djokovic excepted, obvs)

Maybe you should just relax a bit and enjoy the games for what they are - everyone has an off day, and someone will always be better.

I think I'll just bail from this thread - I liked the idea of following the tournament along with others, but the endless dick-swinging, and obsession with declaring one of a handful of players the bestest, is just boring after a while.

A shame, because there's lots of great tennis being played.

Berrettini was rubbish and handed two sets to Nadal by hitting backhands into the net.

And that was the effective match right there.

He was never going to get back from there

That's the reality of it.

A semi final in a men's slam is disappointing if goes like that

If you know of berrettini you would know that his backhand is a known weak area.

Especially a good target for a left hander.

And so it proved.

But that would never have even been the match up if there wasn't a sovereign dick- swinging contest going on before the tournament started.

If you can't handle that and/or reality checks on the actual WTA standard as opposed to some make believe stuff then feel free to have a ladies lounge WTA thread or something

I won't be watching the ladies final anyway so that battle for the ages can be scribed on in peace!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks Australia for this shite instead of ND playing a proper match. Good job

The bitter nonsense out in force quite early this morning 🤐

Well done to Nadal. Can't decided if he wins it or not. Who's a better opponent for him in the final? Think he'll want Medvedev, won't want the person that came back from two sets down last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

By the way @HeidiHeidi please don't leave! You've always been one of the saner ones on here. Plus with moderation having hopefully returned for good there might be some hope for this place overall!

Aha - I've just remembered there's an ignore button! 😉

Looking forward to the Med/Tsi match, I expect lots of great tennis, someone will be better than the other, and I for one intend to enjoy it!

Have Nadal/Berrettini recorded (hopefully!) to enjoy later 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hard to have any sympathy for ND, all he had to do was take the medicine and he never bothered his arse. Then lying on his visa application, fully deserved.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Great hold by Tsitsipas.

Haven't seen such blatant serve-volleying in a while.

And what a rally during the game!!

Interesting to see if Tsitsipas can hold easier this time.... Medvedev under no pressure so far on his serve.

Quality opening set and clutch comeback in the tie-break from Medved, although he blasted away a chance to take it earlier at 0-40 on Tsits's serve when he had an easy shot down the middle to take on.

Hard to see Medved losing this match now I think.

Well-constructed break point there by Tsits - fair play, to got 1 break up early in the second.

Good to have an actual fought competition instead of seeing netted backhands. Much better quality.

Medvedev's record is apparently 17-0 at the AO when taking the opening set.

Much better with using Hawkeye for all the lines - cuts out the timewasting rubbish and the dodgy calls and gets it right to the mm first time

Medvedev breaks back and holds easy

Oof bad time for Medved to cough up some DF's

Tsits will level it surely

It has kicked off!

Med giving a bit too much to the ump there.

Big wobble from Medvedev to lose serve!

Now.... can Tsitsipas hold his nerve (and his serve)??

Jaysus, that was quite the rant by Medvedev!

Surely will wreck his own head more than anything?

That umpire has his work cut out!

Thanks @HeidiHeidi for the reminder of the ignore button.😀👍 Medvedev really lost it there, a small cat!! Brilliant insult. I feel Medvedev has a point, Tsitsipas father has form for coaching. I have to say the Australian crowds this year really put the French in the shade.

• Advertisement

Have to say I haven't noticed Tsitsipas looking to his box for coaching at all this game - it's blatant with a lot of players, but he seems to be minding his own business by and large, this match anyway!

Medvedev looking the far more likely to break in this set. Hope Tsitsipas can hold on.

Medved on his way to the final to show that Spanish kid with the sh1t hairdo what a decent backhand looks like.

He's just tougher upstairs

Tsits gone out to 6 to 1 in the betting.

Apparently there is now a tournament referee under the Tsitpatis box.

Mentally.

yep

He's cruising at the moment.

Job done.

Crowd will be behind Nadal but Medvedev has shown that he can handle that.

And Medvedev doesn't have a shite backhand for a lefty to go to.

Ah yeah no he definitely is. Don't rate Tsitsipas brain at all , I thought you meant to Rafa!

• Advertisement

Rafa has the OCD brain - it's a dysfunctional advantage - he doesn't even have to try - just keeps going like a dog.

But Medvedev will take care of him on Sunday - that's my opinion in any case.

Damp squib ending, very frosty handshake. Medvedev able to channel his anger in a positive manner.

Hope the final is a classic, won’t see it, Gaa road trip that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭emy

I hope Medvedev will crush Nadal's dream, 21 number, as he did with the Djokovic's dream of wining the 21 Grand Slam at US open in 2021.

Medved tells Courier that he's not arsed watching the WTA final 'cos he will be having dinner.

(might watch some on his phone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I like Tsitsipas but I'd wonder will he ever make the final step up. He can't beat Djokovic, wouldn't fancy him against Nadal in 5 on a big occasion and he doesn't appear to be able to beat Medvedev either. I'd imagine Alcaraz will start beating him regularly before long.

Pleased Medvedev is in the final, Tsitsipas wouldn't have put up much of a fight I don't think. If Nadal gets to 21 at his age in his least favourite slam against a potential world no. 1 then you can't say he hasn't earned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Nadal brushes Berretini aside. Can he down Medvedev, I dunno. Nadal will probably be putting everything he has into this final, to get to 21, as he won't get many more chances after this.

I hope he does it, my God the Federer fans will be absolutely SICK if he does.

Yea agree on that , I think it will be 5 sets though. Do you think if Rafa won this and French Djokovic would then really struggle to overtake him?

I'm saying likely 4 sets max on Sunday for Medved.

Who knows what happens down the line.

Djokovic "should" win Wimbledon but nothing is certain.

Will have to see where his head is at after the Djokovic vs The flip-flop politicians saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Augme

Medvedev should win the final. His fitness levels are excellent and his mental strength has really come along too. If he wins one set I feel he will win the match. Nadal needs to take him out in 3 as he won't have the stamina for anything longer.

The AO and US are there for Medvedev to dominate for the next few years. If he can get a bit more out of his game on grass he will be strong there too. He is head and shoulders above everyone outside of Novak/Nadal.

Also, Tsitsipas being gassed after three sets today is awful from a professional athlete who only played three sets in his previous game.

Smooth presser despite the usual suspects trying to bait him into saying something controversial about Tsits but he played them like a fiddle (including surprise surprise Whitaker "Stefanos questioned your maturity....")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I noticed Tsitsipas after the Sinner match which he won comfortably, looked knackered and questioned his stamina and fitness levels, at the very least the elite players need to be able to last 5 sets to have a chance of winning on a consistent level, there's also an issue with his mentality when the going gets tough, a lot of the younger guys have this issue, they don't seem to have a killer instinct when the opportunity presents itself or dig in when the going gets tough, I don't think that can be taught, certain players are just born with it.

Regarding the final Medvedev should win it, but, I certainly wouldn't rule out Nadal, he's an incredible competitor, on a par with Djokovic in that aspect and just doesn't know when he's beaten. I think it would reflect poorly on the current standard of men's tennis, if Nadal does go on to win it, especially as he's only back from a long layoff and this is his least favourite slam which he only won once in his prime.

Tsitsipas did ok considering that he had elbow surgery for an injury that affected him from after the French open final and that many were speculating he wouldn't be back from until later in 2022. He lost fitness getting that done and it also impacted his results beforehand.

To get to the semi and do ok against a form hardcourt player was pretty good

Also that tiebreaker could have gone either way and different match

When fully fit Tsits has endurance. Remember he was still in it at the end of 5 sets at RG with Djokovic last June.

Like Medved is better on hardcourts, Tsits is better on clay.

Who beat Medvedev at RG again?

Always recency bias is shown in the post match reactions really but a bit of perspective is helpful

Tsits is still an impressive athlete who perhaps moves the best of any in his striding transition up to the net and he will have many showdowns with Medved over the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭waynescales1

"Tsitsipas called you immature..." - inviting the interviewee to trade insults with someone, pathetic.

Some absolutely garbage "journalism" in that interview.

I dunno.

Improving the quality and consistency over 3 sets is already a massive ask of long-standing, never mind extending the pain out to 5 where the already high rate of errors would only climb further the longer it went on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement