Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 digital keeps crashing

Options
  • 15-01-2022 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

We got a PS5 in December 2020 and in the last 6-8 weeks it started acting up by freezing and rebooting. It got to the point where every time you turned it on it would restart before allowing you to play anything. We rebuilt the database, seemed to help for about a while, but the problem started again, and got worse. This week when we switched it on it automatically went into factory reset mode so we lost anything that wasn't saved to the cloud or externally.

What's the process with getting this sorted? I've tried contacting Playstation support but the voice message keeps saying they are closed? This hasn't happened to any console I've had in the past, so disappointed with the PS5 given how advanced it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Contact Sony, but in the meantime, I would download the latest firmware and put it on a USB stick as per below document to reload on PS5. This used to be the fix for some PS4 issues so it’s worth a try.

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/support/hardware/ps5/system-software/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Thanks but did that already.

How long are people waiting at the moment for Sony to collect/repair/replace ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Yesterday this happened twice to me. And a handful of times over last few weeks.

Last night I booted into Safe mode and cleared cached and rebuilt database. Seems ok so far this morning. I will keep an eye on it for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Update on this, PS5 has restarted twice today. Safe mode didn't make a difference.

Tried to switch it on yesterday evening and went straight to the factory reset option.

Tried to call the helpline but says they are closed.

What warranty does the PS5 come with?

• Advertisement

After 45 minutes on hold I spoke to someone at Sony today.

Was told that as I'm just out of warranty (Christmas 2020) that they can offer me a replacement for EUR270 !

Even the guy I spoke with thought this was crazy given I spent EUR399 on it.

I've escalated this as it seems poor form that such a new device has completely failed. Never happened to me before on PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch, WiiU, Wii, you get the point.

Was told they might do something as a goodwill gesture, but I have to wait 24/48hrs for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

So it’s a year old basically?

where did you buy it ?

you should have more than a years enjoyment out of it.

read up on the sales of good act and go back to the place you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Sounds likely its either an overheating issue or a hard drive issue, neither are very easy to fix at the moment, can you try put some games on an external hard drive, would be ps4 only and try play them, see if it crashes too, would rule out a hard drive issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Do you have an external Hdd attached by any chance?

I've found mine hangs or doesn't start up with my 4tb external hdd

Oh i would very much be arguing that it should last over a year.

Hope we dont have to start heading down the small claims route like a lot of people did with the PS3.

Hi all

No external drive, never had one attached. If it would boot up without going into factory reset I could try something, but I'd just be going round in circles. I've a very annoyed teenager as well who's given up on the thing and has gone back to the PS4 Pro.

Got it in Smyths Galway, pre-ordered September 20 and first opened 25 December 20.

I'm waiting to see what Sony come back with before I do anything. If no joy from Sony I'll get on to Smyths.

Absolutely should last longer then 1 year, am I the only one on Boards that this has happened to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Perhaps someone with more of a legal mind then mine can chim in properly.

Your first port of call is to Smyth's.

While EU law and the 2 year warranty doesn't really apply here, Irish law has precedent of expectations 100%set

If you walked into a small claimscourt in the morning saying I want a new unit you would get your money back.

It is expected that this device should last longer then 1year.

Have a look at the PS3 small claims thread from 2012.

A few of us had arguements.

I know the law has changed a little.

But contact Smyth's first.

They are your vendor.

So if it came to it you would be claiming against Smyth's.

There was a few people I've read online with similar issues seem to be launch models didn't see anything about costs.

HaHa, tried to reply to the Playstation Support email I received to follow up and got the message below. Will try the phone number again.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

PlayStation Support (playstation.support@sony.com)

The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.

Spoke to someone at Sony, now being told there is no turnaround time for escalation queries when I was previously told 24/48 hours.

I'm in a queue and they can't tell me when I'll receive a response. Very poor customer service from Sony and told them so.

Will head to Smyths today/tomorrow and see what they say, can't get through to them on the phone atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why are you bothering with Sony? Your contract is with Smyths and under the Sale of Goods Act, you have six years not one if there is an issue. Certainly for a product costing €400 for it to fail after just one year. Smyths will have the choice of repair, replace or refund but the important point is that it is Smyths issue.

The problem is that Smyths are notoriously poor when it comes to this stuff and will try and pass the buck to Sony. However, stand your ground and be sure of your consumer rights. But be sure that there is no sign of physical damage on the PS5. Are you sure it wasn't dropped? It clearly sounds like a failing/failed hard drive.

I can't physically get to Smyths until tomorrow/Saturday, nobody there answers the phone or replies to emails.

PS5 was never dropped, sure of that. Had it upright beside the TV since day 1.

I still have the box, will package it up tonight and bring it in, although I can't see anything happening instantly given the lack of stock. Having had the digital for close to a year I wouldn't recommend it.

Just got a reply from Sony...let's see what Smyths has to say

Hi XX, 

Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support about your PS5.

I have received the Proof of purchase and thank you for sending this through.

All PlayStation hardware is covered by a 12 month manufacturers warranty to protect you against defect in materials and workmanship that result in Product failure during normal usage for a period of 1 year from the date of original purchase.

The console is unfortunately out of warranty and as such we are unable to repair your console under the manufacturers warranty

This is confirmed in the Hardware Guarantee booklet that you received with your device.

We are still able to repair the console outside of warranty, however there is a fixed out of warranty fee of $270.00 to cover the costs of transport, materials and workmanship for the repair.  PlayStation Support is unable to waive this fee.

Should you wish to proceed with the repair please get back to me or you can call us back and we will be happy to complete the booking and send the out of warranty payment link.

If you have any other questions, please contact PlayStation Support, and one of our team will be happy to help.

Thanks,    

The PlayStation Support Team 

They think you are from the US. Probably you have used the wrong email address or link.

https://hardware.support.playstation.com/en_IE#/

Nope, the agents I spoke with were UK based, they know I'm in in ROI. On the phone they said EUR270 repeatedly on 2 separate calls so I'd say it's just the way the email was sent.

Am heading to Smyths tomorrow, anyone here have any experience of dealing with Smyths on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Surely EU laws apply to a 2 year warranty?

If you read up the warranty/guarantee that comes with the PS5 it says 1 year.

Ireland doesn't get it's own specific warranty, so presume we get lumped in with GB, but it's 1 year for all countries that I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Good link, but as the poster above noted, that law doesn't bind Sony in this case, but Smyths (as the retailer).

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Yeah i tried to return a PS5 controller that was out of warranty by only 2 or 3 days to Smyths (Galway), the guy at the counter was an ass about it and told me their warranty was 28 days and i needed to talk to Sony which turned out to be lies.

After that i did a bit of googling and got advice from here and ended up emailing Smyths. I said i called to consumer regulations helpline (lies i didnt bother actually calling) and they advised me that i only need to deal with Smyths (not Sony) and that as per EU law i have up to 6 years to look for redress from the seller for a faulty item and it was not unreasonable to expect the controller to last longer than 1 year

I also included this link for their reference (probably worth having it ready on your phone when you go in in case they start saying about the 28 days to you)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html#:~:text=This%20means%20you%20are%20entitled,to%20repair%2C%20replacement%20or%20refunds.

After that they accepted the return with no issues.

With regards the actual PS5 i had to return my launch day console the day after release as it kept crashing, Smyths took it in and did some troubleshooting steps (rebuilding database and Clean SW installation from USB steps to which you can find here https://hardware.support.playstation.com/en_IE#/product)

You can do these fixes before giving it to Smyths you have done it (they may re-do those steps again or not in my case they didn't bother) and if its an intermittent issue be sure to tell them that (i had to explain to them that my issue only happened after ~30 mins of playing a game)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

I had a similar experience with a PS4 a year or so after launch, it just gave up and died. I remember Smyths trying to fob me off as the other replies said stand your ground and quote the links above.

seems they chance that people will walk away but once they realise you know your rights they agree to look into it. Best of luck

Out of curiosity, if Smyth’s give you a new PS5 in lieu of broken one, surely they legitimately go back to Sony for warranty under EU law. If you want to sell in EU then you cannot ignore the consumer laws as a manufacturer. So why is it so much hassle every time for every single customer.

Important to understand the difference between a voluntary warranty and a legal guarantee.

Manufacturer warranties are a voluntary thing. Sony can offer a warranty of any length they want or none at all. In this case they offer 1 year.

Your statutory rights are something different. You are guaranteed a minimum of 2 years conformity under EU law. The law goes on top of our own Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act, it does not replace it (so you can get satisfaction for way longer than 2 years in some cases).

The contract is between you and the seller. So that's who your statutory rights apply to. Sony are completely off the hook. It's Smyths who have to put it right, if they don't you can take them to ths small claims court and you will surely win.

https://www.europe-consommateurs.eu/en/shopping-internet/guarantees-and-warranties.html

Had a long chat with the manager at Smyths. He gave me the 28 day line, I quoted him my consumer rights, he said he knew the law, I said I did too.

He refused to do anything until Smyths customer services got involved. I said ok let’s contact them now, but was told I had to do it myself . He would not get involved in any way. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Am sending customer services an email. today. Told the manager if I didn’t get a satisfactory reply I would be taking things further.

I could do without all this at the moment. I presume that’s what they are expecting and hope I’ll just drop it .

Between Sony and Smyths there’s a lack of interest in the customer. I’m not holding my breath on CS sorting this o it, but will give them the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I wouldn't be dropping this, be interested to see how it pans out..

I got a TV replacement when my Samsung TV was 2 years and 9 month's old and malfunctioned and was out of guarantee, I just explained to them I will win when it gets to the small claims court so do you want it to go that far?

Kind of irrelevant but I work in that industry also but one thing I do know is the more you shout, the more you get...

Smyths CS emailed me requesting copies of all emails with Sony. They are collecting the PS5 tomorrow to check it themselves.

"Once the item has been returned to our warehouse, inspected and deemed to have a genuine manufacturing fault, we will offer redress. "

• Advertisement

That’s all you want. Why do they make things so argumentative ? They have a terrible reputation for doing exactly this.

Advertisement