Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 318i fault code meaning ?

Options
  • 14-01-2022 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I did a diagnostic on my 10 yr old BMW 318i with a Foxwell NT530 and it shows : " Engine electronics DME fault 4 " .

What does it mean ?

There is no problem with the car at present. I essentially bought it to have in the event that a fault might arise.

Is there somewhere a list of standard error codes for this model : 318i E90 petrol 2liter ?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

*deleted - duplicated

Post edited by Anchises on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was the engine management light on at all? Usually there's 2 lists of faults stored, there's current which will correspond to the engine management light being on and there's historic which will be faults which no longer occur but have not been cleared.

Have you noticed any poor performance of the car or excess fuel being used?

If it was me I would clear all faults and see if they appear the same again.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did erase , but sadly it came back on a re-scan.

No lights on at all. I've lately been getting the 'car up on legs' icon on a sporadic basis when ignition started, but I suspect this is due to my battery being low due to so little driving ( covid lockdown related) . It's been losing the clock setting too on an occasional basis. The 'car up on legs' icon , according to the manual indicates a possible oil level sensor being flaky.

I probably need a new battery. 😔.

You did not made diagnostic, only DTC reading. Diagnostics is if you read the DTC, search the wiring diagrams/garage service manuals, find the real fault and proof it is correct diagnose. Even 5 years old child can read DTC...

👍️

• Advertisement

😁

Ok, I help you (little). Please download and install ISTA. It makes your life much easier as BMW owner. I can not give to you the link, it goes against the copyright law. There is all schematics, component locations, testing procedures etc. There is way too much information, take your time and sort it out.

Thanks 😀

"Thanks for your suggestion. I did erase , but sadly it came back on a re-scan."

I have cleared the existing error codes , rescanned and no errors now display on re-reading.

Clearly, I misread the prompt 'erase' to mean clear codes, but it only means Erase Report of last diagnosis.

Also , I succeeded i registering a battery change with the NT 530. That was one of the significant reasons, I purchased the NT530 originally.

Thanks you for all your comments. 👍️

• Advertisement

I did not suggest to use ISTA as scanner. Use troubleshooting, service manuals etc. You even do not need any VCI, just enter the VIN and start searching.

Advertisement