Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC Premier League 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hopefully a change of format

12 legs of 501 every week is very dull imo. We see it all the time. Mix it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

New format is each week is a mini knockout tournament that plays down to a winner

Feels like it will get boring after a few weeks if it's the same 8 players

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to say that I like the idea behind this. It makes things a little more interesting each week.

It will inevitably get stale with the same 8 players every week but a format change was badly needed.

Anything that changes up the format is a good thing for me. I'll actually watch it now whereas I might not have bothered otherwise

• Advertisement

Its different but I would've preferred if they take out the winner after each week and substitute another player in. Then let each nights winner play a tournament at end for overall prize

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭paintitwhite

Is the Dublin event sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Players announced tomorrow morning:

Wright

Price

MVG

Clayton

Anderson

Smith

Cullen

Wade

That is my prediction. Cross, De Sousa, VDB unlucky to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya got that spot on, or you have insider knowledge!

• Gerwyn Price
    • Peter Wright
    • Michael van Gerwen
    • James Wade
    • Michael Smith
    • Gary Anderson
    • Jonny Clayton
    • Joe Cullen

I was sure Sherrock would have been included somewhere. She'll probably show up for "exhibition" stuff along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

No Rob Cross is a surprise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I think it's very harsh on Rob Cross. He won a proper ranked TV tournament this year. Joe Cullen won a pointless non-ranked event and gets in. Very definition of recency bias.

I suppose it's better to have different players in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Ando and Wade are getting well past their sell-by dates in this in my view

Of course Wade has to get in on his world ranking and Ando is a crowd favourite, so....

Won't be long before you hear Ando moaning about all the travel etc...

You could say de Sousa and DvdB are equally as unlucky as Cross, especially de Sousa - I wonder has a player ranked 7 in the world ever been overlooked before?

I don't mind seeing Joe Cullen, he deserves a chance but as we know the Premier League is just a glorified exhibition tour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've zero interest in this.

completely past it’s sell by date and is generally about as interesting as watching paint dry.

TbL

No surprise apart from maybe Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This Thursday's fixtures.

(Jonny Clayton v Joe Cullen) v (Gerwyn Price v James Wade)

(Peter Wright v Michael Smith) v (Michael van Gerwen v Gary Anderson)

It will obviously get a bit samey as time goes on, albeit the fixtures will be different each week. I guess it does make it more interesting from a betting pov, as we'll get a winner each week in a reasonably open betting heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

Anyone watching this? The atmosphere is electric. The novelty factor of this format will probably get old after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Winmau boards already proving to be in a much better state than those old Unicorn things!

5 180's in the first 3 legs. Some standard

Probably the first time Price has been cheered on a walk on

Not sure what Price is averaging but wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

Classic Wade to win with something like a mid 80s average.

Smith looked too pissed off during that match

Didn;t see any of this but looking at the scores it looks like the Ferret was lucky to avoid a whitewash in the final game

I noticed at one stage during the Price Wade game that Sky muted the crowd but I couldn't work out what they were chanting. This explains it:

Decent banter tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I am liking this new format but it has it flaws, one of them been the league positions and how the same old thing from the past could happen again. Tough enough with all the travelling to be finished after 1 game

Good standard in that Clayton Van Gerwen game

two cracking games there in fairness mvg vs jonny and price vs cullen

I haven't watched any of the actual darts thrown yet but just looking at the league table and Clayton is 8 points ahead of Smith and there's only 2 weeks played.

I don't think the PDC have thought this through enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well in theory Smith can make it up at 5 points a week so he's arguably no worse off than under the old system where he would be behind by less but could only make it up at 2 points a week.

And even when it inevitably gets to the stage where a player is so far behind that he can't qualify for the playoffs, this new structure should at least stop players downing tools and losing interest. As they can still win €10K on any night with the 'glory'* of winning the competition on that night.

So in that sense it's a much better structure.

• Smith could yet have his long-term introduction changed to 'winner of the Shanghai Masters AND winner of Night 14 of the 2022 Premier League'

• Advertisement

Really flat atmosphere so far

Advertisement