Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Stung for switching fee - 1 day difference

• 14-01-2022 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭ yankinlk

Beware if you are joning another provider. SSE Airtricity are putting a 50 euro charge on my old account even though they sent me a "swithing letter" out. Would have been nice for EI to chnage on that date - but chalk it up to my stupidity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

I got caught before, switched to early. Both companies were happy to reverse the change and i saw out the last 14 days of my contract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 60,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Same here, went a day too early via bonkers.ie, presuming it would take a day or two to go through. Wrong.

I did get the €50 penalties reversed though.

11PM: 15kW o'clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭ yankinlk

@unkel @poker--addict

How did ye manage this - im getting stuck with a bunch of hoops at the moment. I asked EI to chnage the start date to the 14th instead of the 8th... but they are saying i have to cancel - wait 20 days and start all over the process. Did ye catch it really early or something different? or are they just being a PITA in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

Only caught it when EI sent a bill including the fine. Had only started maybe 2 days and they reversed it. Think cooling off period consumer rights applied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 60,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Exact same here.

• Advertisement

OK thats what I thought - thanks both. I read somewhere what the providers are doing now - is wating for the cooling period to END then they start the switching process. :)

So my action is to cancel at the new provider... and the old provider will revert. AS long as they dont "auto start" a new contrsact i think im good. But i might need ot wait 20 days to switch again.

It would be so much easier if they added a "start date" to the switching. oh well

Yes indeed, that would be much better. Unfortunately they don't :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ idc

This whole thread has me confused. I thought if I sign for a years contract and then it ends. After that I'm out of contract but just keep on same rates therefore when switching its not a big deal once the 1 year contract is over as after that their is no breaking contract fee?

Hopefully that is correct. Im not saying it isnt either. I have seen the mobile phone companies do shady things like auto extend your contract if you call them for anything. change a service or update your tariff - and they start a new contract.

will update when i fix this issue

Advertisement