Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stung for switching fee - 1 day difference

Options
  • 14-01-2022 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Beware if you are joning another provider. SSE Airtricity are putting a 50 euro charge on my old account even though they sent me a "swithing letter" out. Would have been nice for EI to chnage on that date - but chalk it up to my stupidity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I got caught before, switched to early. Both companies were happy to reverse the change and i saw out the last 14 days of my contract.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here, went a day too early via bonkers.ie, presuming it would take a day or two to go through. Wrong.

I did get the €50 penalties reversed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

@unkel @poker--addict

How did ye manage this - im getting stuck with a bunch of hoops at the moment. I asked EI to chnage the start date to the 14th instead of the 8th... but they are saying i have to cancel - wait 20 days and start all over the process. Did ye catch it really early or something different? or are they just being a PITA in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Only caught it when EI sent a bill including the fine. Had only started maybe 2 days and they reversed it. Think cooling off period consumer rights applied.

😎

Exact same here.

• Advertisement

OK thats what I thought - thanks both. I read somewhere what the providers are doing now - is wating for the cooling period to END then they start the switching process. :)

So my action is to cancel at the new provider... and the old provider will revert. AS long as they dont "auto start" a new contrsact i think im good. But i might need ot wait 20 days to switch again.

It would be so much easier if they added a "start date" to the switching. oh well

Yes indeed, that would be much better. Unfortunately they don't :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

This whole thread has me confused. I thought if I sign for a years contract and then it ends. After that I'm out of contract but just keep on same rates therefore when switching its not a big deal once the 1 year contract is over as after that their is no breaking contract fee?

Hopefully that is correct. Im not saying it isnt either. I have seen the mobile phone companies do shady things like auto extend your contract if you call them for anything. change a service or update your tariff - and they start a new contract.

will update when i fix this issue

Advertisement