Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir map and eircode say FTTH is available, but Eir and Vodafone checker says its not?

Options
  • 13-01-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

So I went on to the openeir map and put in my sisters eircode because there have been FTTH reels on the poles outside her house for the last 9 months. He next door neighbor has 500Mbps FTTH as does the house across the road.

All good you would think.

Go on to Vodafones site and pop in the eircode and it says fixed line not available but they do have mobile broadband.

Go to Eir and put the address in and it says not available.

Can you contact openeir to get them to order your broadband once you are on their map?

Or are there any other options to get Vodafone and Eir to update their databases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I am in the exact same boat. Fibre was installed in my estate in July and ready to go according to the engineer I spoke to, but the Eir and Vodafone line checker say that it is not available at my address.

It is showing up as available on the OpenEir map, but none of the suppliers can see it on their systems. It is available for the estate across the road but for whatever reason, ours is not showing as live.

I have contacted Eir through the chat option on their site but the person said that it wasn't available and that the OpenEir map is wrong, even though as i said above, the engineer installing it said it was ready to go.

Very frustrating. I hope someone here can provide someone to contact on this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its very annoying. All they have to do is look at the map. And if the houses all around are connected already and there is a fiber real literally outside the door it should be a no brainer to just send an engineer out to look, even if the customer has to pay the cost of him having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

You can't order from OpenEir.

If showing on their database though you could try a smaller provider like Pure, Digiweb or Airwire, they are often more willing to put the effort in to resolve issues like this with OpenEir.

Exactly. The spot where the engineer was working from is maybe 5 or 6 meters from my front door. I could go out and lift the lid myself if they could have someone have a look. I would absolutely pay for someone to look at it, even though I shouldn't have to.

Not a bad idea I suppose. Was planning to stay with Eir though because we have phones with them too and I recently bought two of their smart WiFi Hubs that can integrate seamlessly with the FTTH router they offer, but at the same time, I just want to get it sorted. IF Airwire or someone else can help me, they deserve the business.

• Advertisement

No joy with Airwire anyway.

"Thank you for your email, I checked the OpenEir database and 100MB VDSL FTTC is available but I guess you are looking for a faster connection.

FTTH is not available but there is always a difference between an engineer on the ground and the actual system so all the cabling etc could be in place but not the ordering system!"

Guess I have to continue to wait until Eir remember that we have Fibre ready to go in our estate...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Had a similar experience, what worked for us was to have them come out and install the slow connection (5mb in our case) and have the engineer report back that fibre is available. Once this was done (takes about 2 weeks for him to report and eir to acknowledge) they came back with a new modem and switched us over to the fibre port in the exchange giving us speeds of 60-70mb

Checked airwire. "Currently no ports available". No idea what that means apart from PFO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

I'm having the same issue, openeir's ordering system is saying "exchange not enabled", to leave my house I have to drive over the access chamber with the access point. I can see people in the town have been able to get a connection, when the fibre was installed at the same time (months ago), the only difference is they are feed via poles rather than via ducts.

Tried lodging a complaint with comreg, who said they will not handle complaints against wholesalers. I would have to make a complaint against my ISP instead, which I can't do as I haven't got any complaints against helpful ISPs.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it seems we are at the mercy of Eir recognising that they have Fibre at our doors and can enable it at any time on their line checker.

I wonder by any chance is it just that they have enabled a number of other locations in my town and are waiting till they have completed the installs from them before allowing addition al people to sign up? If there were no installers available, we would have to wait months anyway?

Pure speculation of course, but I also find it hard to believe that they forgot that have my estate set up for FTTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

If you go into an eir store looking to sign up to FTTH they should be able to send off a request to open eir for it to be checked out

You think? I suppose I could try that and see. Can check in the local Eir store. Although if I remember right, the last time I had to call in to them they said that they were a franchise store rather than an actual Eir store.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From what I have seen locally, they seem to be installing on a 1:3 to 1:2 availability, eg, there are less ports installed then there are houses. So if a large number of neighbours get there first, then your out of luck.

I'm curious if that happens, does it show as not available in the system then?

If that is true that is a really stupid thing to do. Imagine building a system that cant handle the demand from the day you build it. What kind of cowboy process would that be,

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

The franchise are no more. Eir took over or got rid of some if there was another store nearby.

If no joy then maybe try the sales team in eir. They want the sale.

We used to query lines and connections with the open eir team constantly so they should certainly be able to check it out at least

Thanks very much for that. I actually spoke to Eir sales online already. Couldn't help and said that the openeir site was wrong and that there was no fibre at my address, even though I spoke to the Eir engineer when he was testing the newly installed fibre outside my door!

Will have to make a trip to the Eir store next time I'm in town. Appreciate the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's a process that follows a cost model by a company looking for profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

This means that the ODP you're assigned to is full. For us this shows as an RFO date of 31-12-2099, thats the indicator that OpenEir use. It's the same for FTTC in Dublin (many of the DSLAMs are full).

There's not a huge commitment from OpenEir to add capacity. Next meeting I have with them I'll bring it up and see if they can put a proper expansion plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Is there a case for such homes who are effectively shut off due to physical port constraints to be included in the NBI IA? Curious to know what position you're in that you have regular meetings with OpenEir! (NM, I see you work with Blacknight from your other posts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

We were in a similar position, emailed the county broadband officer and he sorted out an inspection, poles went in last week. Hopefully get connected up shortly.

If Eir say they cover a premesis the DCCAE and NBI consider it serviced. I've yet to find anyone that got anywhere with NBI. Myself included. Which is a PITA.

Isn't there an exemption mechanism to be added to the IA if you can prove your connection is below a certain threshold?

If your premises isn’t included in the rollout of the National Broadband Plan, but you cannot receive internet speeds of 30Mb or more from any commercial broadband provider, the following steps should be taken;

Contact your current retail service provider to investigate the issue and to determine the reason as to why your broadband speeds are slow or why a high speed broadband service cannot be provided.

Contact other retail service provider offering broadband services in your area to ascertain whether high speed broadband is available at your premises.

After the above checks are completed and if you are still unable to receive over 30Mbps from any retail service provider, then you can raise a query with the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC) who will undertake an investigation on your behalf. For further details, please contact the National Broadband Plan division of DECC using the designated Web Form

This investigation will determine if high speed broadband can be provided to you by a service provider or whether your premises should be included in NBI’s fibre rollout.

, and the form they say to report the problem is here https://secure.dccae.gov.ie/forms/NBP-Customer-Service.aspx

Yes. But if EIR say you're passed. NBI and the DCCAE simply tell you to take it up with Eir.

We can hardly expect NBI to hit 1 address in amoung 100s of OpenEir customers. Maybe they should extend Eir's footprint and bitstream Eir's product or something. Who knows what'll happen long term.

Surely they can't stand over saying you're passed if customers are being told there are no ports available?

The economics of it means NBI getting involved in individual houses in estates is unlikely, but perhaps then Comreg (I know I know) need to have some rules/guidance around what can/should be done where under-provisioning is preventing access. Estates are particularly egregious examples. The number of houses is known up-front! It's more difficult in the rural setting where you don't know more than 6-12months out where additional properties will be added.

I understand estates are extended over time, but again, the number of houses is known well ahead of time. Anyway.......I can dream... :-D

What doesn't make sense, is that they have started the planning to switch off the copper network over the next few years, once fibre is fully available in an area.

Had a look back over my old photos, and the drop point for fibre was installed on 13 August 2020, and the splices in the area finished about a month later.

But still not available to order!!!

Openeir either made a mistake on the ordering system or are trying to put off Siro moving in to the area with no intention of giving service in a reasonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ask your preferred provider to place an NLE against your ARD (address reference not eircode) should take 24-48 hours , if the person you are speaking with doesn't know what either of these are I'd get worried as they should.

Your eircode may not be indexed correctly

No promises you might still get nothing back

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JungleMartin

@Sterling Archer what's an NLE please?

(So that I don't sound like I'm asking for a left-handed screwdriver! 🙂)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Advertisement