Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTE 4G Router Replacement

Options
  • 12-01-2022 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have a TP Link TL-MR6400 running a 3 sim, I have noticed my mobile (Pocofone F1) is getting much better results on speedtest, up to 180MB which is amazing considering I am in the sticks. mY 4g router gets 1/2 the mobile when in the same spot, giving that the current router only supports up to 150MB I think its time to change.

I have just ordered a set of 3 Deco P9s for the house so I am not interested io the routing functionality of the router as it will be going into mobem mode. Just want the best signal. Am I better off with an external antenna or is there another 4G Rouiter / Modem I should be considering ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

TL-MR6400 definately dated (LTE CAT4), your phone is LTE CAT16, i can recomend Huawei B818 (LTE CAT19) if you can allow yourself

"best signal" is best that is available in the area - better hardware facilitate your side, but you still depend on whats provided by ISP, location, etc.

External antenna recomended, especialy in the sticks, but you could start with the router first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Thanks for the info @smuggler.ie been reading up on it since, I think I will go for the new router first then look at external antenna if required. I have large Vlux windows in my attic and I am between 2 Three masts although pointing towards one side of the house appears to be stronger with a more direct line of sight (just a house in the way) rather than a hill on the other with no line of site.

Looking forward to getting the Deco set next week as my home network was doing a lot of jittering using a plex media server with multiple powerline adapters. Once I have that in place I will order up the B818 (Amazon £250) not too bad a price to pay for a decent connection and in house configuration without a contract.

Just to update my own thread, CEX had a Hauwei B818-263 unlocked for €125, they have a locked to Three one for €90 but I went for the unlocked version. Ordered over the weekend so hopefully it works out even thouth they are advertising it as 150mb D/L but once the model is correct there should only be one version, the best I could see online was closer to €300 delivered. I will post an update when its in place and hopefully getting a better speedtest without an external antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

nice, keep updating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Thanks - also interested to see how you get on with this router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Hi,

Sounds like i was in a similar situation to you. I live Rural and am on Threes sim only 4G plan. I was living i a cottage while our house was Built. We had the b525 and signal during the day was about 8mb down. I did a bit of investigation and got hold of am omni direction antenna as we had no clear sight. This boosted day time speeds up to 15mb down load. The evenings could be hit or miss but we had some sort of signal. I moved this set up to out new house and invested in a Huawei mesh system as the router was located in the attic. Using the omni direction antenna i was getting average of about 30 mb down during the day and 8 in the evening. I upgraded to the B535 router and found this slightly better. Just before xmas i bought the pontying directional 5g ready antenna and wow. Im averaging 75mb down all the time. Hitting 150 down at times. I also used cell mapper to find the best mast and HuaCtrl app the find the nest band on the mast.

The link below is great for getting the best out of your Set up and you can learn how to find the best signal. i have 3 elux windows in the attic but the mast im serving from is the the other side its about 15km away. Antenna is mounted in the attic. I could move outside but more than happy with the performance now. I WFH and then we run IPTV netflix etc off it. No game consoles yet as the kids are all small but hopefully by the time that becomes an issue fibre the NBI will be here

https://confusedbird.com/forum-2-page-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sounds great! Would you mind letting us know the model or a link to the antenna you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Hi,

this one. 5g ready, if it becaomes availble in my area but at the moment im super happy with performance on 4G

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081QCWTZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Received the Hauwei B818-263 Router today and have an instant improvement over the old trusted MR6400, my first speed test was the router sitting beside me downstairs with no positioning and I was hitting over 100MB. I have moved it into the attic and getting 140 compared to mixed results usually 30-50 from the old router. I think judging by my phone results I can improve on this when I find the sweet spot in the house.

Thanks for all the help folks, need to start saving for the antenna next :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I got connected to NBI fibre this week so no longer need my mobile router. Details as follows.

Teltonika 4G-RUT240 Router. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YPFNST

5m extension for LTE antenna https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073TXBS7V

10m extension for wifi antenna https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L7OMRI0

I had the router at an upstairs window. One LTE antenna was on the router and the other was run to another upstairs room window to maximise signal collection. The Wifi antenna was then run downstairs using the extension cable into my office. It worked well for me and gave me at least 20mbps and sometimes up to 50mbps whereas my phone would only ever really get 6-10 mbps max indoors downstairs.

I'll be putting it on Adverts/Donedeal in a few days but figured I'd throw it in here first. If anyone's interested, PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement