Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicians who never made it to the big time despite high profile starts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭antimatterx

He also probably would have been FG leader and Taoiseach if he didn't retire. (Unless he went the same way as Noonan after 2002).

Arguably one of the heaviest hitters in FG when he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ivor Callely - how he never made Taoiseach I'll never understand. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not too sure about that - a lot of people can't stand Ivan Yates.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Or perhaps Kenny himself, looked like his political career was toast in 2010 but he went on to serve as Taoiseach for 6 years.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

She was also the presenter on the infamous Celebrity Farm.

• Advertisement

If you go down the rabbit hole of Irish presidential freakshow candidates it's going to be a long thread.

Reminds me of a guy in Cork called Stephen Saleh (also goes as Stephen Cronin Saleh) who ran in the 2007 election. His poster had a slogan that made some reference to "lame duck candidates" and a picture of the bould Mr Saleh in tough guy folded arms pose next to......a duck. I think it was a big yellow rubber duck blown up to giant size. I remember first seeing it on a lamppost and doing a double take. Unfortunately I can't find any images of it online. Last time this guys name popped up was in relation to a legal dispute involving the Game Of Thrones replica throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,221 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Someone who will very likely fit this bill in a few years is Lisa Chambers. Lost her Mayo seat at the last election and no way is she getting it back as long as Calleary is there. FF still pushing her to the fore though, probably a reflection of their dearth of female talent as much as anything. Even saw her on BBC Newsnight a while back, reckon 'member of the Irish Senate' sounds a lot more impressive to the Brits than to us...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was going to say her but the fact that she's still in national level politics and she's young means that she's not done for yet although Mayo is a tough constituency now to get 2 FF TDS elected from. Jerry Buttimer is someone who falls into a similar category. He served a single term in the Dail and had a reasonably high profile for a new TD. He then lost and seat and ended up in the Seanad as well. He's in an even worse spot though as he's a lot older and competing in an even tougher constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭appledrop

Olywn Enright, was a very good policitician in limelight from early on her career.

She made a mistake though supporting Richard Bruton over Edna Kenny for leadership heave ho, lost her spot then on front bench + retired from politics due to family commitments.

She was a better policitican than her husband, maybe he should have been the one to retire and look after the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Gary Gannon and Holly Cairns (both very capable) will be politically extinct in a decade if they continue to appease to Ultra Woke new Soc Dem members. Saying this as a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Good shout. I'd completely forgotten about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Isn't she CEO of Irish Cancer Society or something? Wouldn't call it not making it to the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It was Peter Casey attacking travellers that made him the household name....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,465 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aodhan O'Riordain (when he was a Senator in between TD terms) commented on how foreign media, particularly US, thought you were much more important and worth talking to as a Senator than as a TD - TD being the equivalent of Representatives to them, of which there are 4x as many as senators, and their terms are a third of the length.

Suspect the UK media has the same to an extent, albeit they know their upper house is less powerful than lower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Yep, it was thanks to that he got 23% and his expenses back. He'd have ended up polling below Gavin Duffy only for those travellers comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 16,221 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I find it hard to see a way back for her. FF might be willing and indeed keen to parachute her into another constituency but given her personal circumstances I doubt she'd go for that. She may be content to bide her time in the senate and hope things open up for her again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes, and Lucinda Creighton runs a successful think-tank, but politically, they are out of the running, irrelevant.

I have no doubt that either of the above would give up their successful careers for the most obscure junior ministerial portfolio - in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rory Stewart, was in the early running for leader of the conservative party in the UK after Theresa May, but left politics after an unsuccessful bid... so pretty big time, but could have went on to so much more.

just posting this for his speech on hedgehogs, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

I wonder would she dare try to run in her county of origin, Westmeath ? I know that she would probably be more suited to the D4 area , after so many years there but that area is viciously tough for politicians. Westmeath is a daycent breeding ground for FG (and FF too) . She was not really that incorrect on her views on Leo or her running mate...........but then she did back the wet blanket Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Mildred Fox. Although she was independent I always thought she might become a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

Its an old one, but a big up and comer in his time, and did alright, but went to an end of utter disgrace (removing any chance of a possible return to politics if he chose) : Michael Keating, former FG and Progressive Democrat

Arguably, if she kept her nose clean, Class Act, cough, Beverly Cooper Flynn might have shone but .......like daddy ............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

After all he did have all the credentials to be a FF leader and FF taoiseach. 😒

Nah Kenny's turning point was surviving to win seat against fellow party man Jim Higgins in 2002 election.

There was less than 100 votes between them.

An awful lot of old prominent FGers lost their seats in that election, but he survived even though Higgins had way higher national profile with things like his Garda corruption work.

He then went on to lead the party after election.

I am not allowed discuss …

This thread is about politicians, not headbangers who have never been elected to anything and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

That's exactly what people said 20 years ago about the likes of Richard Boyd Barrett and Luke Ming Flanagan.I think there is a good possibility that we'll have a handful of "far right" TDs in the the dail in 10-15 years time, (not necessarily Waters and O'Doherty) Once SF & the PBP crowd fail to deliver milk and honey for all after a term or two in government, the angry protest vote could turn to the right

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunately Flanagan is one of my MEPs and he is absolutely crap. What has he done in Europe that has been worth the plane far over? What has he ever done that was of any use?

The only time I can think of him doing anything in recent years was him encouraging further damage to our bogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Michael O'Leary...

• Advertisement

I've little time for either Barrett or Flanagan but both were prepared to spend years putting the work in at local level and on councils building up a political base. That's very different from a pair of "high profile media figures" (in their own minds) who expect to do nothing except incoherently rant against the cause du jour and then swan into the Dail.

If we are ever going to have far-right TDs (which I hope we don't) they're going to have to work hard and build up a political base same as every other party or independent has done.

Waters and O'Doherty are not politicians. Putting your name on a ballot does not make you a politician, getting elected does.

Advertisement