Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will voice impressionists be cancelled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Never thought of this but your right they will get cancelled, it will be labelled as the audio version of black face. Comedy will be in underground clubs the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So mocking disabled people is fair game then? They were never treated like gays so they're fair game according to you?

yeah you’re definitely just a troll or a clown.

edit; actually you’re also dead wrong. disabled persons often experience discrimination whether in school among their peers for being “different”, in searching for jobs and in daily life. They’re also, once again, completely incomparable.

since you have trouble with comparing things that are similarly equal here’s what you should be asking.

“Raichu, do you think if someone with a stammer can be teased a bit what about someone with a lisp?”

to which I’d say: sure go on

like you’re comparing apples to oranges or more accurately the most belittled and tormented groups in society and comparing it to someone who s-s-s-stutters.

NOT. THE. SAME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Interesting thread op, it's a fine line between comedy and upsetting/offending people. It's when it's personal and aimed at one individual as opposed to a group of faceless people if you like that offence occurs, like the davy example above, that's personal and if he hasn't given permission mario should stop. But if it was a general slag on gaa managers it would be ok imo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did anyone in the media have a laugh at PDR's stammer? I would have followed media fairly closely through that period, and loved the parodies on Scrap Saturday, but I don't remember anyone having a go at his stammer.

• Advertisement

It is certainly considered fair game on Boards, and even on this thread to mock disabled people though casual use of 'retard' as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

When they have to introduce..ie tell you who they are impersonating before hand, you know its time to go!! Personally I'm not a fan of any of them, but Jesus I have to switch off the radio when Mario comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If your humour depends on punching down, mocking minorities/immigrants/"them"/"That lot" and mother-in-law jokes? Then yeah, probably, you'll be playing tiny little underground venues because nobody else will book you - because who the hell pays money to go see an unfunny comedian?

The Dara O'Brians, Sarah Millicans, Billy Connollys, Aisling Beas and Josh Widdicombes of this world will continue to play to packed venues, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Billy hit a speed bump joking about Kenneth Bigley and his Thai wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Stop gatekeeping comedy. Listing a load of unfunny comedians (apart from Connelly) hardly makes your point. If that's gonna be the only kind of comedians that are allowed, sign me up for the underground quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

went to one of his first gigs after those comments, there certainly was tension in the air, great gig though

In their party political broadcast? Presumably self-deprecating humour in that case. Don't recall him ever being trolled about his stammer elsewhere.

Probably. Why not? Who knows. Go look yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

proinsias didn't have an issue with it so why do you? he was involved in making the video.

I'm not heading off on a wild goose chase to follow your unproven claim. I'm just saying that I don't believe his stammer was made a laughing matter in mainstream media at the time. Maybe the lads in the pub might have had a giggle, but not in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

What's so bad about offending people?

I don't go out of my way to offend, or to be offended. But if something offends me, I'll either tell the person, turn off the radio/tv, whatever, move on. Where is people's resilience

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you are claiming that it happened and he was offended you need to provide the evidence. put up or shut up.

He’s retired from live performance now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

They do not always "mock". Impersonate or maybe exaggerate, but it is often rarely out of nastiness. The impersonator tends to develop a bit of a grá for their subject . The joke isn't even on them much of the time during the sketch . Sure Bertie even called the media "spanners" after hearing Mario's Bertie doing it

Note what the guys from Spitting Image said about the characters that they did and what the "victims" said about them. In fact, one or two of them kinda got a better image boast lol

The problem is where the white lads do (fantastic) impressions of black guys. There is an Irish lad , (he was on Mario's podcast recently - I think it is Conor Moore, could be wrong ) who does fantastic impersonations of prominent black guys like Tiger Woods and Mike Tyson . So good that Tiger asked him to do an advert with him for Bridgestone and loved his work. Anyway, some clown(s) on twitter have tried to call him out for doing black people. "Black mouthing" or some crazy made up phrase.

Bertie's stammer endeared people to him !!!! It is impossible not to notice it , but one one,, I I I I I mean no one ever tried to mock him for it . I wouldn't be surprised if he put that on a bit . Lately Callan and Mario do similar humourous skits with Bertie talking and misusing words and putting words out of context. Its amusing. Yer man from Bull Island did a good version of him too -

Flatley DESERVES TO BE MOCKED ! Plastic Paddy who takes himself WAAYYY too seriously

Burton does not really have a high pitched voice, it is normally low. They took it from one famous short segment on Vincent Brown show. It gets tiresome , but she isn't really mocked . Least not in a mean way

Again, big Joe Duffy is not mocked . He takes pride in his accent. Nothing nasty there. Maybe Joe might have a legitimate complaint in the manner that David McSavage observed Joe's love for miserable stories .

How Jose talks is not mocked at all. They try to give a accurate account . Again, how he talks endears people to him. It is what he says and how he acts that often deserves mocking - nevertheless , 3 times, "respect". As you would surely acknowledge, calling himself the Special One, come on, he is open to ridicule. I assume you are well aware that Jose Loved Mario's impression of him so much that he brought him over to Chelsea to talk before the players. God I miss the Setanta show he did

It cancellation, inevitable? Sadly, probably, but we must all stick together and fight this evil (in cases where cancellation is not justified. People need to grow a pair )

As for Little Britain; hmm. Love hate thing for them. I tried to hate it. I do hate some of it, but Christ those gags are bloody hilarious. Context is important. The only gay gag, is not homophobic but a tease as to how some of them act (including Lucas) The racist granny - the joke is more on her than the subjects that she has contempt for ; likewise the weight watchers doll and her relationship with the Asian

Sure look at yer man , Pub Landlord , Al Murray. If one was really thick , they would take his act seriously and not get the joke and satire and who he is really mocking. He is no Bernard Manning and he's smart - But ya, silly season will got for him too (his serious shows are great too )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bertie is now 70, and therefore a member of a vulnerable group in society, the pensioners. Time to lay off for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

People are mad to be offended nowadays, so they go looking for things that could be considered offensive even if it requires a little imaginative thinking,

Virtue signalling at its best or worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I dont mind short sharp blasts of them; they're a moment in time and usually disappear before too long. In other countries that is - unlike here, where 20 years later Mario is still rolling out the same stale old Joan "can I just say" Burton and Roy "all credit TO unfunny comedy" Keane.

Rosenstock, Callan etc dont come across particularly offensive to me, they're just not funny in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

everyone is conscious of something, too small, too tall, too fat, too thin, stammer, high pitched voice, bald, hairy.

You would be best avoid comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Where would this end? Actors unable to use accents of the characters they’re portraying? We’ve all seen the disaster that was Alexander when they took that approach.

Impressionists, in my opinion only work on radio, the state of Callan and Mario and yer man Foran when they try to dress up as the person they’re taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

To be fair to people who love comedy, they would notice and spot when the comedian is being nasty towards his subject. PPPP Pick up a Penguin De Rosa. It was funny. Now, if the stammer and his great bushy beard was the central part of every gag (and it was not) then there would be grounds to complain

Oddly enough Callan's impressions of the Healy Rae's , with the Rhododendrons and their accents are almost endearing really.

I think many people have a lot of respect for these guys in that they do not hide who they are ; they play a great job in pretending to be a bit thick and an ordinary man of the people (they ain't thick, and they are politically savy , not to mention pretty smart business operators) .

Pity it is what the real life lads say around Leinster House eg John Delaney speech during an Oireachtas Committee . Jesus H Christ . (of course balance that with Michael's good point about the value of houses only being relevant if or when you want to sell - Last Summer during the debate regarding the Nursing home bill)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

What was he apologising for ?

I remember the un pc jokes in the office were poking fun at the ignorance of Brent and Gareth more than anything.

Does context not matter ?

Advertisement