Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be changing jobs this year?

Options
  • 12-01-2022 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

According to the news today 80% of people are considering moving jobs this year.

And for those who stay, they will be expecting 5-10% pay increases and some as much as 20% this year.

Are you one of them?

From the Independent:

Workers will be offered pay hikes of up to 20pc as employers become locked in bidding wars to attract talent.

A shortage of skilled staff in some high-demand sectors means salaries are set to surge, according to recruitment agency Morgan McKinley.

Many employees can expect pay increases of as much as 5pc to 10pc, which will be welcome news amid the soaring cost of living due to inflation.

Bigger increases of 15pc to 20pc above normal market rates will be offered for niche skills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Working in Finance I'll be staying put in my role within my company. Have changed role in 2021 still within the same company for last 5 years.

For me it's not all about the salary, it's the full WFH, flexibility with annual leave and the big life events coming up.

Our policy is 6 months paid paternity per child, 3 months paid leave in your 10th year. Suits me as I expect to be married this year with children in the next 2 years.

I have other offers put to me, some 10k/15k about my current salary but deduct 52% and the hardship of office life 3/4 days a week without the above leave?.. simply not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I wish I worked in one of those sectors. Yes I will be changing jobs this year. This job was simply a stop gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bloody well hope not.

While I 'only' work in a customer support job, the pay is well above standard, staff treatment is fantastic and the perks are great. Plus I love working from home and I save a fortune on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You mean "The Great Resignation" right?

For those who don't know, in the United States, they recorded 4.5 million people resigning from their jobs (willingly) for the month of November 2021.

Some people have theories. One is that people during covid just realised "is this what I want to do for the next 30 or 40 years?" Etc. Another is a lot of people took what ever job they could and now want more. Accordingly its happening over here too... but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I won't be changing jobs. Not voluntarily anyway. My pay is good, and I'm in line for a promotion. Even if I didn't get that, I wouldn't go. In all fairness to the company, we're given a huge amount of independence and flexibility for managing our own time - it in itself is worth more than cash at this stage in my life. The company has fully embraced home and hybrid working. Plus from this year on, we're getting Martin Luther King day off as an extra holiday, so I can spend the day in bed having a dream.

I wouldn't be expecting a 20% pay rise, though - promotion or not. If I get the promotion, I'd be expecting 8-10%. Without it, probably 4%. If I walked, they would't hire externally to replace me, so I wouldn't have that leverage. They'd probably just break my team up and divvy them out to existing managers in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I hope not.

Yes, still finalising things but I'm looking at a 40% increase in my per hour pay compared to my current job plus its within walking distance, looking forward to handing in my notice tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Already have changed jobs this year. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A sweet feeling. Enjoy it! This is what's playing in my head any time I've ever done it, even though my resignation letters have always been most professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Started a new one this week, same money, loads more work but was bored af. Hopefully this WFH thing sticks because the cycle to Swords and back is a bit of a mare with the roads and traffic and not really any other way of getting there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Not leaving my university employer. No pay hike either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'd like to move into something a little less hectic. Basically somewhere where I feel I'm more appreciated and where I can focus on doing my work without a million and one distractions.😌 I'm hoping I can achieve this by the end of the year.

Advertisement