Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird….

Options
  • 11-01-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭

Having a busy day at home here and the doorbell rang.

Threw open the door ready to tell the guy that thanks, but I’m staying with Bord Gais, and there’s a guy there around 30? with a clip board and pen.

Heres how it went down:

him: hi! I’m doing a survey today about the vaccine roll out have you got a few minutes to answer a few questions? (big smile)

me (immediately both intrigued and wary): a survey on behalf of whom?

him (shifting uncomfortably): a group with an interest in the rollout.

me(fascinated) :a private group? A public group? A state service??

him (irritated): a private group.

me(sarcastic now): so…yourself?

him (slightly defeated): no. There’s a group of us trying to find out how vaccinated people feel now that they’ve had 3 shots of vaccine and they’re still catching covid.

me: well I wish you the best of luck going door to door and you can put this house down as fully vaccinated and grateful to have been and happy to take any more boosters offered as they’ve kept us out of the hospital.

Closed the door and let him off.

How would you guys have handled it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Licked his face for sure.

asked why he’s knocking on peoples doors, to ask about covid, therefore increasing the risk of catching covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

happy to take any more boosters offered as they’ve kept us out of the hospital.

You can't reason someone out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I think he probably doesn’t believe there’s such a thing as covid to begin with. I’m sorry I didn’t ask him what he intended to do with the info once he’d gathered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'd check no ones quietly breaking in the back door while he's keeping you chatting shite at the front.

"How would you guys have handled it?"

Probably have bored him with an hour long lecture - from my background on data and epidemiology - on how to properly run a survey to produce unbiased and valid data - and that going door to door with a presupposition such as "Still catching covid despite three vaccinations" is going to bias the data immeasurably. And how studies run to the agenda of validating a preconception is - especially in medicine - one of the most harmful things happening to mankind today.

To the point he will be praying for a pair of Mormons to wander up to interrupt my flow and take over.

If I hadn’t been busy today I’d have done that. I’m a gold medal standard bore myself at the best of times.

That sounds like a challenge - one I am semi confident I could win :)

I’m pretty sure that “us” includes himself and Sharon on Facebook….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Answered it through the ring and told him to piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Was he wearing a “Genius at work” t-shirt?

Sorry but the “Windows/Amazon Prime” scammers on the phone regularly hang up on me when they realise that I WILL eventually get to the end of the story about my nephews wedding, but it may take some time….

His tinfoil hat was so distracting I didn’t notice what other apparel he was clad in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’m looking forward to the “vaccines are kind of good but I just have some questions” devils advocate merchants in here with wild bunkum about new technology and experimental medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I usually won't answer the door in the first place but if I was expecting a delivery and got caught off guard, my usual go to is "I'm just going to stop you right there, I'm not interested" At this stage in life I have no problem with cutting them off mid speech

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'd have asked for a Jehovah's Witness instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

My response to doorstep invaders is to say "No thanks" while closing the door as they start their opening spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I find that opening the door bollock naked significantly shortens conversations with cold callers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The point of vaccinations is not that they will guarantee to stop you getting covid it's more that if you get it, ll be mild like a cold, and you won't end up in the icu. Also the pandemic may gradually end if say 97 per cent of people are vaxxed and boosted. I hope he was wearing a mask. I know people who think covid is just a media fake event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This about covers it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Me too. I don't entertain anyone cold calling to the door, energy suppliers, telecoms, charities .... I talk to no one on the doorstep. Particularly when they usually have no details to leave with me to consider in my own time. I literally don't buy the 'sign up now' or ' special doorstep offer' pressure deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would have said much the same as you and kept it brief. These people don't deserve the time of day. Their whole spiel is that the only reason they're critical of vaccines is the 'coercion' and they don't like the personal pressure they feel they are under to get it, and yet he's going around probably trying to turn people's opinions against them, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I would have told him to come back when he actually knows how vaccines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Oh God!!!

I'm a real softy, when someone probably on minimum wage, stands in front of me , freezing, dejected but for some reason hopeful of not getting yet another PFO. So I politely let them do their bit, then apologetically say that I'm already in a contract/ an atheist/ right wing conservative voter/ already giving to Action Aid/ impoverished - and I'm just minding that Merc for a friend. Then smile and say thank you, now PFO (ah no, I just couldn't).

I often see them gathered on Malahide Road, being given their marching orders by the eh, District Manager, and then the head off to get that 65k per annum OTE. Or end up with just their bus fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well it would, wouldn't it, especially at this time of year, then you would have two cold people, not conducive to conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The thing I find absurd about an antivaxer is the time they spend trying to convince other people vaccines are bad.

Reminds me of the, "how do you know someone's a vegan?"..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

years ago, had a guy in to quote for windows. Anyway, it was something like 3000 (when 3 k was a LOT of money) but sign now and its 2750. So I said no, I'd be getting other quotes. So I said : "I suppose anyone coming in only has to be better than 3k, because the 2750 will be off the table when you walk out the door????" Cue a lot of backpedalling. He was crossed off the list before the door closed behind him.

edit> its not lost on me, the apparent contradiction between this post and my previous one, but I do make an exception for someone who tries to make a mug out of me.

• Advertisement

Advertisement