Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

The Questions You Might Get Asked at EO/HEO Thread for the Civil Service

• 11-01-2022 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ Liberty_Bear

In management myself in Civil Service

Have had a few of the staff fly the nest so to speak so thought a useful thread of what questions are asked might prove useful but first a prelim of how to answer (which you might know already!)

Questions are answered using the STAR Methord

Situation - what was the circumstances you were faced with

Task - what was the job you had to carry out

Action - how did you carry out the job

Result - what was the end result

In my experience just give a one liner on the Situation and Task - Action and Result are more important as the interviewer wants to know the end result.

What questions are asked?

Well Publicjobs has a great background here - https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/interview-advice

Some of the questions I remember from my own interview and from what others have mentioned.

Dealing with conflict - how did you handle it and resolve the situation (refer to first informally addressing , then disciplinary procedures, dignity at work)

Working to deadlines

Implementing new ways of working (this is especially useful for in times of covid. Working From Home , how you adapted)

Working as part of a team

How you coached and trained staff

How you might deal with a difficult client

Can you cite examples of managing multiple projects at once

Managing underperformance (Persoanl Improvement plans, coaching ,mentoring , further training)

Time you managed a mistake or an error in work

When did you have to work with a wide range of data and how you might use it(numerical, written, verbal)

An example of a project you managed

Understanding public sector values

You should also make yourself familiar with the Civil Service Renewal plan - https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/efd7f-civil-service-renewal-2030/

I'll add if I think of any more

Big lad who likes big lads...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ Liberty_Bear

^^Fab advice

Love the part about practicing loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭ snoopsheep

Ironically i launched straight into answering as if youd asked about interview advice and not "the questions you might be asked"

Youd fail me on my own number 4 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 29 vanderpump

In relation to the order of merit from the online test, what is a realistic score to hope to get an interview/job from? How many people do they hire in a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Anii

Great interview tips👍🏻 Hopefully I'll get to that stage🤞🏻

Let us know if you do, throw out any questions you might have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭ Rikand

You've basically asked how long is a piece of string. There is no hard and set answer to this. Everything is different when comparing locations, grades, etc and you're probably better off rephrasing your question in a more relevant thread like the current competitions threads on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 29 vanderpump

Thank you for your very unhelpful and sarcastic reply.

• Advertisement

just bumping this for myself as it'll be helpful for interviews coming up lol

If anyone can add please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭ Gusser09

I sat as an interviewer on an EO competition.

What questions did you ask (if I can be nosey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ cvb03

I am also interested to hear what questions you asked. I am hoping to have upcoming EO interviews soon and would love to hear what questions you asked. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EllieKelly123

Do the interviewers stick to the competencies or do they delve into previous education/employment that was included on the application form? What sort of time do they allocate to each competency and how long is the EO interview? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭ snoopsheep

they can do either but would maybe tend to stick to the examples offered more often than not

interview should be about 35-40 mins max five mins odd per competency is normal.

They won't really delve into it. They'll ask you to delve into your own work history for examples that match their questions. Or at least that's how my EO one was.

HEO was much more of a hypothetical situations type of thing. How you would respond if this happened, or that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ divillybit

Thanks for you opening post @Liberty_Bear , and @snoopsheep ; really good info as I'm prepping for an EO interview next week

Did an EO interview today, though it would be tougher. I've done tough interviews where you were asked 4 specific question and expected to use the STAR format rigidly, and were given time to write the question out to be able to refer back to it to help keep the answer on point. Didn't get a chance to write the questions here but it helped the interview flow nicely. The examined each of the competencys, and asked maybe 10 small questions for each competency, you wouldn't really get a chance to do a full on in depth STAR answer as once you hit the main points they asked the next question. What qualities could you bring to a particular government department? How would you gain the confidence of people reporting to you if you were placed in a department.. Handy enough interview. Dont know if I did any good or not. Was given the option to make a closing statement as to why you'd make a good addition to the public service

Post edited by divillybit on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ mtb_sends

@divillybit thanks for updating us. How long was the interview?

About 45mins. They do send info before the interview about that and members of the interview panel

@divillybit Thanks. Sounds like they try get through it fairly quickly.

Thank you @Dave 101 this is a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭ I am me123

I acted as an Interview Scriber for HEO interviews.

Similar to questions above.

Also asked

What are your plans for your first week as HEO?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ redmgar

Does anyone know if civil service interviews are back in person or still virtual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭ billyhead

Even that would stump me - what do people answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭ billyhead

You could just say get to know your colleagues and read up or familiarise yourself with the job (policy's, procedures etc etc).

Advertisement