Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking with EBS?

Options
  • 10-01-2022 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

With Ulster bank disappearing I'm shopping around for a new bank in which to open up a current account. I was leaning towards EBS, but the reviews on Trustpilot are pretty gruesome, are they that bad? Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Their online offering is brutal, possibly the worst out there.

But they're cheap. I don't use their online however and find it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

They are bank stuck in the past from banking IT services, perfect if you are a technophobe.

No mobile app, contactless. Very basic PC online webpage.

AIB were forced to buy them back in the Tiger crash & have no interest in modernising them.

If you are only interested in switching is because it's free, then don't!

AIB or PTSB have excellent apps, contactless pay options and reasonable monthly cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

Perfect place to stash savings if you have them.

If savings are too easily accessible, many people end up withdrawing and spending it them, whereas if they have to travel to the local branch during banking hours, they'll be much less likely to dip into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,939 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Always had an account with EBS… since 1997 in fact. I’ve found them over the years good to deal with… especially like the fact they have a branch in Dublin City open on Saturdays…before online banking I used to find it handy for paying my credit card bill on my day off…

you can use your EBS debit card in any AIB machine and not be charged..or that used to be the case and presumably still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've had an account with them since 1995. They are bloody awful to deal with, but not so awful that I've considered switching. The wife has accounts with BoI and they're just as bad frankly. They're also more expensive too. Friends with AIB accounts don't sing their praises either.

Their online "services" are an absolute tragedy and trying to move money is a real chore. But at least these days I can see my account. When they moved to that ridiculous SCA crap I couldn't even log on to my account without saying a prayer before hand.

• Advertisement

On a point of order, they do have contactless. What they don't have is support for Google / Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Their basic savings account has a 0% rate of interest at the moment, so maybe not that great for savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm similarly being jettisoned by Ulster Bank for the crime of not owing them money.

Not ever going to AIB or BOI because of how they behaved towards me in the crash.

Thinking PTSB plus Revolut or similar.

Problem is I need an on-ramp for both cash and cheques..

Yes I know both should be phased out, but I receive a several K of income in the form of cheques and cash each year which I can't currently have paid to me any other way.

PTSB don't handle either do they?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You can lodge cheques and cash to ptsb current accounts using the machine. They've effectively closed all their bank counters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Packrat

Oh! I didn't know that. Thank you.

I must investigate further.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
Advertisement