Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - No logbook

• 10-01-2022 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I recently imported a car from the UK, the NCT is tomorrow but I’ve still not received my logbook or insurance discs in the post. Will they fail me on this or accept the receipt of payment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

No, you only require your drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Logbook isn’t usually a requirement despite what they tell you.

I think you’ll be ok.

just incase you don’t know it, you need to tax the car before you get the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Yeah, the car is taxed I’m just waiting for it to come in the post, thought it’d be here by now but no luck unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they need to look at it they won't give you the NCT if the car passes but will complete the test. Reasons for needing logbook would be to confirm seat numbers if say vehicle has 5 seats but only 4 seatbelts or similar. Generally it's not asked for unless there's some issue needing confirmation.

You won't receive the logbook until you first pay the motor tax on the car, then it's issued.

Hopefully be grand so, because it’s been recently imported they may want to see it. I’ll find out tomorrow I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a side note, OP did you tax the car? If the car is freshly imported and registered then the logbook won't be issued until the car is first taxed.

I taxed the car after I put the Irish plates on yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

Worst case scenario you'll just have to pop back in with the VLC when you get it. I've always been asked for it for any of mine but it seems to be hit and miss between different centres and testers as some people here never get asked for it. I suspect being the first NCT after import they'll probably look for it.

NCT don't care about insurance discs.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think its rare I've been asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just nct 2 cars in last month with logbook in hand, but they never ask for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

I got a fail for not having it, "required documentation not provided" so it does depend on the tester/wind/center. They always ask at my local center anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Bring a vlc off another car and put it up on the counter. They won’t even open it, take your cash and test your car.

In case anyone was wondering they didn’t ask and the car passed.

Advertisement