Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors surgeries receptionists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You call it fobbing off, we call it triage. And again, I don’t know why you persist in thinking the Receptionist is making the decision or that their medical knowledge is a factor, it isn’t, what is a factor is the GP’s policies and how they are put into practice by their staff.

Re telling receptionist what’s wrong, if I were a man with pus exuding from my inflamed extra ruddy painful glans penis along with stinging pain in my urethra, it wouldn’t be something I’d care to share with her tbh, nor that last night’s ejaculation was an extremely painful experience.

Is there such a thing as a Medical Administration diploma one could study for to do reception & admin work in medical settings? One that would cover usual Admin stuff, practice management, legal aspects, as well as First Aid and a good grounding in the principles of Triage?

If you had that, I’m surprised you wouldn’t do whatever was necessary to get an urgent appointment. You could of course just ask for the soonest available appointment and you don’t want to say why.

Do you think there is something unique about genital complaints in a GP Clinic, or that the staff haven’t seen or heard it all before?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are failing to understand or discuss the issue - the receptionist isnt going off to discuss the sick patient with the GP to determine whether or not they should get an appointment, she is making that decision based on her having no medical knowledge of the patients symptoms - she is not consulting a GP. She is not in any way qualified to triage a patient. You dont seem to get it - it is fobbing off - its not triage.

But you will never agree until it affects you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's a shortage of nurse and a shortage of receptionists also. You're asking for a service they don't have the resources to provide.

Out of hours service nurses also have limited medical knowledge. Which is why they only act as gatekeeper for the doctor. They will also tell you to go to the A&E if in doubt.

If you want medically trained nurse to deal with your call, why don't you go where you know there is one, (the out of hours service) instead of going to the GP.

Well if you disagreed that strongly about how it was run you would move.

What you don’t understand, or are refusing to, is that the Receptionist is following policies set by the GP. The Receptionist is not making the decision based on her/his own knowledge of medical issues, they make it based on the GPs knowledge and their instruction on how people are to be triaged.

He’s indicated he’s a doctor, heaven help us all, so that sadly indicates the currently mentality of some of our GPs.

I KNOW I do understand the receptionist is following the rules. But the policy is very wrong and receptionists are making wrong decisions.

It's obvious you a are member of the GP receptionist fanclub 😉

• Advertisement

Oh I see now. That explains a lot. It's pointless arguing with him then

I couldn’t care less if the doctor’s secretary reads out my own medical history to all and sundry, I’ve given up caring like I used to, I really couldn’t give two fooks, and it seems to be par for the course going by what’s being stated here. Believe me, I’ve a lot more to be worried about, but others rightfully may reserve the right to withhold the finer details of their bodily functions gone awry to a receptionist.

It's the GP that has told them to do this. Even if the GP tells you they didn't. That they still do this, even after people have complained about it, means the GP doesn't have a problem with it. Tells you it's the GP is keeping it in place.

They obviously do interrupt the GP with a phone call. Anyone who has been in the GP and had their appointment interrupted with a phone call knows this. Lots of people know GPs and staff working in GPs. They'll tell you how it works. They can't interrupt the Gp with every call. The place would grind to a halt if they did that.

Everyone has experienced this, and been affected by it. Its nothing new, or special.

”Hello, Surgery, how can I help you?”

”Can I see Dr Murphy as soon as possible?”

”What is wrong with you?”

”It’s rather personal and urgent.”

“I need to have an idea what is the issue you need to see him about.”

”Well I’m quite depressed, if you must know”

”How depressed?”

”Well I contemplated jumping into a river last night but someone talked me out of it”

“Dr Murphy will see you tomorrow at 3pm, goodbye”.

No they cant - no other GP practices in my area are taking new patients. Im stuck in the **** practice that avoids dealing with sick people but are happy to see you next week when you are better!

If there was a GP couldn't afford to pay the staff who had it, to sit on a phone all day.

You're the 200th person today to give that story. However only 1 of them was actually urgent. The rest are trying to queue jump over other people with higher priorities.

You can use the out of hours service or A&E. So no you're not stuck.

Also you can see there's the same shortage of GPs everywhere.

Doctors relying on their Reception staff isn’t new to anyone, most don’t think their GP is going to answer the phone or stand at the desk talking to everyone who walks in. Whether it is a Receptionist or qualified nurse, the GP is responsible for their policies and how staff implement them. It is nonsensical to think that a nurse, or anyone else would be required to make decisions without direction from the GP in a medical practice, so blaming the staff for GP policy is equally nonsensical.

If nothing else this thread gives an indication of silly stuff staff have to waste time on each day. All staff, without exception, are subject to patient confidentiality regulations and if there is a breach, it’s the GP who is responsible for their staff so I can assure you, if there was even a hint of the possibility of a transgression over patient records, the person would not be there. Confidentiality is given the utmost priority. At the same time, if you don’t trust your GP or their staff with your infected genitalia information, then move.

• Advertisement

Do I take it you believe this is a satisfactory status quo?

Why would anyone think a shortage of GPs, during a massive population boom was satisfactory?

I understand this a unsatisfactory workaround with limited resources. You guys seem to think it can be solved by magically crearting GPs (or nurses) out of thin air and have instant access to them. Which is fairytale staff.

The out of hours service is even more unsatisfactory. Any very rare time I’ve attempted to contact it (other than a couple of decades ago when it offered a better service) the reply has been “I don’t know your medical history, you need to wait until you see your own GP or else go to an emergency department if you’re very worried”.

Emergency Department staff are absolutely fed up with the primary care status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As has been pointed out before, nurses are registered professionals. If they fup-up, we can complain to the Nursing Council (or whatever it's called here). If they can point to written policy from a qualified practise owner which says "if X do Y" and they did Y, they may have a defence (though it will depend on whether the nursing body believes that the policy is reasonable).

Vs Binty who is now too ugly to work in hotel reception so got a job in a doctor's surgery - she has no registration to worry about. She also has minimal medical training - only the amount of triage education which can be given in a receptionists induction - likely a day or two at best. Something like:

If they say chest pain - sent to A&E.

If they say asthma has got bad - appt within a week. If they complain about not being able to breath - sent to A&E.

If they say "it hurts when I pee" - appt within a three weeks.

If they say "stinging pain in my urethra" - or anything else involving a body part you've never heard of - appointment within a week.

If they say "the hospital said I'm to get a medical cert for work" - write out a cert for one week, and sign it for me.

Binty was given her marching orders from the Shelbourne, is now doing triage at Dr. Doolittle’s surgery in Tallaght

“You say ya’r pulling worms outta yerself? Well stop feedin them and come in next month if they have t died!”

Thus far this thread doesn't want to deal with a receptionist, or give them access to their history.

But you don't want to deal a nurse (DDoc or A&E) either (they don't know the history)

Also don't want to deal a doctor in (DDoc or A&E) (they don't know the history)

They only want a single local GP (that they know) to be the only person to have access to their history, only person to do their admin, letters, scheduling, phone calls. And they have to have instant access to them regardless of anyone else. Regardless that that GP isn't available all the time, and even if they were then can't go the workload of multiple people. But they are happy with getting prescription drugs with no physical exam.

Good luck with that.

Perhaps the issue your describing is people are too cheap to pay for the GP with the fashion model receptionist. Which I'm sure people could find if they are willing to pay for it.

If the policy is flawed, it is the GP who would need the defence, not the nurse. No doubt a complaint to the medical council would follow. If however the nurse was following accepted practice and the Clinic’s protocols were inline with industry norm, neither the nurse nor the GP need be concerned.

Surely by giving the examples you have, you are making the case for informing the clinic why you need an urgent appointment? If the receptionist follows protocols set by the GP, you will get the appointment at the same time as you would if a nurse answered the phone and followed the same protocols.

If you need "urgent care" is it really a GP you should be going to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

These new "Health Centers" or Money making machines.... are not what the old doctors surgery was.

my mothers Doctor was her doctor for 25 years. Knew everything about her and had a personal relationship with her. He retires ... obviously... Health Centre takes over clients. Different doctor each time she calls. Receptionists ask all sorts of personal questions, doctors knows damn all about her, receptionists have been told to stop being nosey. (in so many words).

Prescriptions are ALWAYS wrong, never transferred on time, doctor doesn't have time to see you or basically care... you are now a number.

Irish primary "health care"... is a joke at this stage. The whole system is a money making machine for those who own the health center. Quality patient care is diminishing now.

If something is wrong, go to the hospital, doctor can't see you. Hospitals are full and over crowded. it is a recipe for disaster in the making.

Advertisement