Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad amateur podcasts

• 10-01-2022 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

The last couple of years has seen every man and his dog launch a podcast from home. I have heard some really bad ones hosed by men with thick gobshite accents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Listened to a tiny bit of the Talking Bollix podcast because they had Jack Byrne on it.

Two scauldy howeye’s doing what it says on the tin. Calling out some teacher who told his students he wouldn’t listen to them and the ‘genterfication’ of inner city Duberlin. Almost made my ears bleed and I could feel my IQ dropping listening to them. Had to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

I Don't know if this is a similar thing, but find it hard to get into new podcast with the 5-10 minute push at the start of all of them.about patron etc.

It's like let me listen first and see if I like it before asking to pay for "extra content".

Also unless you have a very good reason 3-4 hour runtime puts me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have given up on filmcast the constant sponsor ads the whole way through it can't be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

As much as I like to give little known podcasts a chance, if they sound like they're on a phone or zoom call I stop listening. At least get a decent mic!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

It's a pity a lot of Irish podcasts seem to go for the non stop joking/messing about approach. Even if it's a topic I'm interested in, I just can't listen.

With so many podcasts it can be hard to stand out but theyre not doing themselves any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Tortoise Shack is a bit clumsy at times.

Great satire of world-owes-me-living-lefties though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I find one of the major differences with the amateur efforts is that they are far less structured. Professionally made podcasts will have a tight structure that keeps them on message rather than just talking about whatever crosses their mind. Now, don't get me wrong. Some people absolutely can riff on a tangent and make it very compelling and engaging but they are rare. Most people just sound like they're rambling and this is far more prevalent in the amateur podcasts.

Advertisement