Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing lead flashing on parapet wall

Options
  • 10-01-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Discovered some staining on my ceiling today and ventured up to my extension parapet wall and discovered that the lead flashing has a line of cracking corresponding to where the stain is on the inside.

My initial thoughts were that I’d repair it with a sealant of some type but I came across Bostik flashing tape in various widths. It seems to be possible to just apply it directly to the lead with no primer. That’s what I’m thinking of doing.

What do folks here reckon, is that the way to go? Or, should I be considering some other method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Also wondering if I should seal that crack line with the flash and above and then seal the whole thing include thing with something like this …

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

eggerb.

I can make no sense whatsoever of your 2 photos.

is it possible to retake the photos with a set of keys or biro on the horizontal.

And also take a zoomed out photos to show walls or windows or roof etc.

Sorry about that. It’s a fatigue crack in the lead valley about 6 inches long and 1-2mm wide in parts.

Sorry about that. The cause of the leak is a crack in the lead valley about 6 inches long and 1-2mm wide in parts.

eggerb

because there is no keys or biro on the lead it is still difficult to get a perfect picture.

These cracks in the lead are usually caused by the Plonker who folded the lead instead of rolling the lead in to a roll. It’s the cause of many leaks in lead. If the entire lead was folded, then these cracks will be at each of the folds a few feet apart

The grey colour on the lead is a grey patina which forms on the surface of the lead. It is sometimes difficult to get some repair materials to get a permanent bond on to the lead.

Its many years since I repaired cracks in lead, so I suspect there are many chemicals on the market to repair lead

Is it possible to get a plumber to solder over the cracks. This will give a permanent fix. The biggest problem here is heat and fire 🔥 of roofing materials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There are plenty products available to repair lead, ask any good roofer or even go into your local supplier and see what they have available, it may work and save you the cost of a repair by a tradesman

Used some pics I took yesterday. It was dark when I got back from work. Yeah, suspected it was from being folded. Otherwise, first problem I’ve had in 15 years of the extension but disappointed nonetheless. It seems to be the only crack line but I’ll I look closer. Was hoping to avoid a tradesman if I can manage a decent repair myself.

Yeah, researched a few products and came across that Bostik Flashband tape product. https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bostik-flashband-grey-10m-x-150mm/55009. Looks reasonable and could probably be sealed with a paint on product. That’s the general jist of how the roofer guy in the video here repairs similar cracks in lead. https://youtu.be/HWPk8XzJveo

Thanks both for your advice. Cheers.

I’m not a Bostik rep, I promise!

I see they do a primer for that Flashband product but they do say that it’s not required on lead … https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bostik-flashband-primer-black-500ml/57709

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would replace the lead vally and have the peace of mind. fairly easy with the counter flashing and the tiles.

Thanks eggerb. Give it a try. You must follow all the Manufactures Instructions. If it works - great.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 fatmax

horse **** . lead needs to move expand and contract

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pretty much any of the roof repair tapes will solve the issue imo, you might have issue with the lifetime of the tape if its going to get a lot of sun etc, but there are various offerings to address this, even if you just cover it with a something like that flexacryl.

You'll still get years out of it and at least you can confirm that this is indeed the cause of the leak.

Thanks for that GreeBo.

I spoke to the Bostik technical advisors and they told me the present single digit temperature was probably too cold to apply the Flashband so I might need to wait.

I didn’t ask them this one but should I use primer on top of the lead to improve the adhesion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As long as the lead is clean, it doesn't need a primer. Unlike iron, the oxidation is a very thin layer. Just clean the lead off with water and a small amount of washing-up liquid and let it dry.

Bearing the Bostik guidance in mind, if you want to temporarily seal the broken section, use a general lead sealant along the split. They tend to be quite workable into areas like that, plus can be removed easily with a blunt scraper once the temperature rises.

Thanks 10-10-20. I’ll give that a go and try the Flashband when temperatures rise up into the teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

You could try melting some lead onto the crack

Advertisement