Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrestricted planning permission

Options
  • 10-01-2022 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Looking at a site online where it says the above, "Full unrestricted Planning Permission"

Can anyone tell me what this means in practice?

Also do you need mortgage approval to buy a site?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its in a rural area, it likely means that the planning permission does not have a restriction on the house being built for someone from/working in the rural area ("Local Needs")

If you can afford the site without a mortgage you don't need anything arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Check the planning application online if you can.

'Full' may indicate that planning was approved for a specific house on the site, possibly with specific conditions.

If you want to build anything else, anywhere else or outside any of the conditions for which planning permission was approved you may have to apply for a variation to the planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If it is a rural site, sites with full unrestricted planning are in demand as effectively anyone who buys the site can build the house.

Op, check how long is remaining on the pp, and that you like the design of the house, there is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to get new planning if you apply after buying. From my own experience of getting unrestricted planning before development plans were introduced, then trying to get renewal after, the CoCo told me I either built it or lost it under the original planning, they would not give new pp because I was not from the area, even though I owned the site for nearly 20 yrs.

So, check expiry on planning, whether you like the house design, and whether you will have the funds to build in the set timeframe.

Advertisement