Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

Would be quite confident that it will only show if you have both a Smart Meter and have a Smart Tarriff enabled. I recall that on signing up to the Smart Tariff you have to explicitly give permissions for ESBN to collect the data at the increased frequency. Likely that unless a user has moved to a Smart Tariff that ESBN simply have 'automated readings' but not as frequent as every 30mins.

Also to answer the other question, I am guessing that because ESBN are supplying this data, it shouldn't matter what supplier you use, the data should show up. I am with EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭eagerv

Received our first proper two month bill this morning from Energia. Pricing was as agreed last Sept at €0.292 Day/ €0.0858 Night Incl VAT.

Used 251kWh Day, 990kWh Night. Left me with a Cr of €39 after Gov rebate. Happy enough considering we have two EVs each on near enough 20K per annum. We have a modest 4kWp Solar system and 4kWh battery which on a bright day still covers a lot of our daily needs up until mid evening, but in reality little to nothing for the cars for a few months of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Those rates are fantastic eagerv, not a hope of getting anything like that now.

Not sure what their rates are atm, but a good day/night rate is still advantageous for an EV owner. Even if not fixed, possibly electricity rates may not increase by much more, wholesale prices seem to be stabilising a bit.

Still a lot of geo politics at play...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭John arse

You're rinsing the night plan-fair play,it's a great plan alright in the current circumstances,good luck👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

just wondering- any point switching to night rate having the EV if both of us work from home full time as well? Any views anyone?

You would have to do your costings, my figures in post 1564 above include our son working from home with a full 4 screen home office. When working nights is cheaper, but he is mainly working days atm.

Edit. Also a big saving by moving power hungry items such as washing machine/drier, dishwasher to night rate. We rarely use an electric shower nowadays with Eddi solar water heater, but when do it's before 8am winter, 9am summer.

Post edited by eagerv on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was billed at 36.63/10.54 so they've raised it with the complaints team to investigate as I'm supposed to be on the 28/7.9 rate.

On the plus side the estimated flat rate FIT is on the bill rather than being a once off annual payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I queried this and the they said the bill showed the price before the 25% discount. The woman on the phone did the calculations on the there and said it was correct, now I’m not sure of the calculations as I haven’t had a go myself and was driving at the time but she didn’t sound like she was bullshitting. you should be able to calculate from the units used on the bill.

What’s the flat rate FIT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Same as @Zurbaran , I thought it hadn't been honored, but look at the discount line item, it should be there and when you work it back, be equivalent to whatever rate you agreed.

(,I.e the agreed rate isn't actually stated on the bill)

Day rate is 53.08c, discounted to 36.63c Inc VAT and matches the email. Unless I'm really bad at maths :)

I know some people got the wrong rate email/welcome letter so I just waited, and I know some people got the wrong tariffs on the bill too but it looks like I really am on the wrong rates.

They also used the meter readings from August when my registration was rejected due to cooling off period. Not when I signed up in September and they messed up, or October. My closing bill with Electric Ireland is probably wrong, they sent a huge estimated bill just before I closed and god knows if the refund is the correct amount due to messed up meter readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

I did a load of calculations about a month ago but never followed up on it, but now our car has a Vin number and we are looking at a January delivery so getting real. Couple of quick questions I don't seem to be able to get simple answers for:

We have a smart meter but not smart tariff.

We're currently with EI - contract up in April. Happy to pay €50 penalty if necessary. Will Energia sort a d/n meter for me even if we're not current customers? I understand you get one free switch? How much to go back to smart in future if necessary?

Hoping to get solar next year - can you sell back to the grid on a d/n meter? It might not be worth switching if not

Thanks - hoping to have my ducks in a row before calling Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Regarding the D/N meter, you need to get in touch with your CURRENT supplier who then need to request ESB Networks to make the swap. Depending on the supplier, there will need to be varying amounts of follow up required to actually get this done. When I did it previously, I got the meter swapped, then had a few days on the Standard Rates for my current supplier before I signed up to the best D/N deal in the market with a new supplier.

Not sure exactly, but I think subsequent switches of meter are a few hundred euro.

Re Solar, D/N meters are actually really GOOD at the moment as you get paid Deemed Export regardless. Deemed Export is basically just a hard coded estimate of what you export, however, if you manage to consume most of your solar yourself (i.e. export close to zero as possible) then you are effectively getting free money as it gets paid either way. I'd suggest with an EV (hopefully plugged in on those summer days), you'd have a good chance of achieving that.

If you have a day/might meter it's estimated. Energia are giving us 1.2kW per day at 18c.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thanks all for that information - need to go attack my Excel file again and see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Any update from Energia on this ?, I’ve the same issue and lodged a complaint via their chat system yesterday. No reply yet, might need to ring them on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

ive been on the energia d/n plan since august - 1yr fixed rates as per the plan they sent.

first bill was fine, second one received yesterday has 31% reduction on the current rates - not the fixed aug rates.

obv ive gone back to them. this happen anyone else?

also, esbn confirmed they had received n96 from me in aug (install was apr22). energia still havent added any deemed export FIT cr.

they may have the best rates but pretty flakey service

I am now officially on the 7.9c plan. Finally!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Had the same, Said ESBN sent them the wrong information multiple times, (which tbh, Id believe) and they hoped to get it on this bill, but now its going to be on the next.

so, onto energia - they say they have a "problem with their billing system" and so need to bill through the incorrect amount & will then credit the extra to my account when fixed.

if this is truely an issue with their billing system then everyone on the fixed rate should be getting charged wrongly is my thinking. and i know theres plenty of ppl on this forum on the fixed d/n plan... is anyone else seeing an issie with their december bill?

I can confirm I’m on EV Plan day night fixed rate and latest bill is incorrect. Still waiting to hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Same fixed ev day/night plan and no issues on bill

No issues here either. Most recent bill was as expected

can i ask if you were being billed correctly before now or are you new to the fixed d/n plan?

odd that you & i are facing this issue but @lfc200 + @crisco10 arent..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I received a bill today and it was correct (although no sign of my deemed FIT payment). I'm on older Energia EV rate (6.95c) tariff.

I went on their fixed EV day/night plan on 1st Sept and first proper bill a week or two ago was as agreed..

energia are "waiting on ESBN to advise them of my expoted units" before they can give me deemed FIT credit. jesus wept...

• Advertisement

Rang Energia today and they confirmed they have a widespread billing issue with EV Plan Fixed Rate customers. No timeline on a fix as its in the hands of their IT department but confirmed credit will be applied to the account once corrected bills are issued.

Advertisement