Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Part of the Christmas Day Dinner?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have to admit I've never heard of bread sauce let alone tried it. Must keep an eye out and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough its usually hard toi find in the run up to christmas, every year if I leave it to the last week or so before I struggle to get it in any of the local shops, so I usually pick a couple od sachets up earlier than anything else for the christmas dinner. Did see loads of it in Dunnes on Saturday though ( now the demand has dissipated 😀)

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭tscul32

My 10 year old said he's be happy enough if we just served him a massive lump of ham! Must be done in cider though and baked with a glaze to finish. I think we're spoiling him a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We couldn't find knorr bread sauce this year at all I tried various supermarkets in towns and normally I've no issue getting it.

I eventually got Coleman's which I never saw before but from reading the packet it all seems to be made from Unilever.

I do know you can make it from scratch but it's a lot of hassle to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

lol I over looked your post apologies.. funny you should mention bread sauce.. I created a thread about this last Christmas; we are from the NE but live in the South now.. and last Christmas was our 1st here.. and we always have bread sauce at home with turkey.. but we couldn't find it anywer here.. and I asked a load of my mates down here had they ever heard of it - and they hadn't..

I don't like it myself but himself loves it..

We didn't think of it Christmas gone.. our hearts weren't feeling v festive as we had been bereaved a few mths beforehand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Very sorry for your bad news during the year, hope you all are doing better now.

My wife always picks up a few packs of bread sauce around Nov time as it can be very hard to get closer to the big day and one year we couldn't get any at all. Out of the 6 of us only 3 like bread sauce so it's not for everyone alright and your right I have known people who haven't got a clue what it is.

is it a regional thing?

none of my mates down here in the South had ever heard of it - but its v popular at home in the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We always had it with Christmas dinner (dubs, but the cooking Mammy was from the west of Ireland). Haven't heard of it in years though, had completely forgotten about it! I was never mad about it myself.

Don't know, I'm from Meath and apart from living in Dublin for about 7 years about twenty years ago I haven't exactly moved around a lot 😃

It must be popular enough when the likes of Knorr, Colman's, Schwartz etc make it, maybe it's originally an English thing?

Just looked it up there and bread sauce dates back to medieval times in England, cooks used bread as thickening agent for milk based sauces then added herbs and onions to taste.

It accompanied turkey, chicken and duck back then.

• Advertisement

that explains why its popular where i'm from - the last county to be planted.. like, the same reason why we eat potato bread (divine)..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always thought bread sauce was a popular thing but I suppose it could be more of a traditional thing in some houses now.

M&S do tubs of it as part of there Christmas food even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Bread sauce galore in Aldi this morning. They had their own brand and the Shwartz brand - they were marked as seasonal sauces but there was a lot of them left. the Shwartz ones were reduced to 49c.

Don't be anywhere near an M&S Sporina so can't help you there, but I did make some Colman's bread sauce with the dinner yesterday as we had a ham fillet, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had Colman Apple and Cranberry sauces before and I would recommend both.

Advertisement