Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Herniated disc, sciatica - surgery

Options
  • 08-01-2022 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hallo everyone, could you please recommend the best place to have microdiscectomy done? Who is the best neurosurgeon in Ireland? Can I please hear your opinions about dr Chris Lin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I can't help you with info on Dr Lin, stay the hell away from the TUH guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Dr Helena Moore of the Bons in Tralee and Limerick (formerly Barringtons) has treated three people I know and is excellent from what I hear.

I was thinking about this a bit. There is a neurosurgeon Chris Lin but the only Dr Lin I could find online is in the US.

This guy is one I was considering but I have no experience to date.

Another source for info is the ratemds site to get feedback etc. https://www.ratemds.com/l/dublin/.........boards.ie won't allow that to embed but it's ok. You can also do a general search for neurosurgeons, Ireland. Again, watch out for the TUH guy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Helena Moore is a neurologist, not a Neuro surgeon.For Neuro surgery in cases like this she has referred people to Professor Michael G. J. O'Sullivan in Cork.

Neurological Surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

I had this procedure carried out in 2016. It was a debilitating issue for me and could barely manage. Mid 30's when I had it done. I was going public as the cost of private was not an option. I was told it would be a a year before I would have the procedure done. In the end I had procedure done in Romania in a private clinic. It cost €1500 all in (excluding flights). Wife is Romanian so I had this advantage. Cost can also be claimed back through government scheme. Complete success. My pain levels on a scale of 1-10 went from 8 or 9 to 0. Surgeon explained he could not fix my back only make my life pain free. I never looked back.

Due to the location this would not be for everyone but it changed my life. It is an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 unaryan79

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unaryan79

My mother when to Dr Chris Lin and she found him to be very good. She said that he has a very pleasant bedside manner and was brilliant to listen to her. She had a herniated disc at the top of her spine and since her surgery she has had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

How are you now?

Post edited by nickkohl on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

Any update on your condition?

Hope you are doing well and are on the mend. I had mine done eight years ago and never looked back. I limped into the surgery after months of misery, pain and neurological problems and left after the surgery three days later with no limp and without the need for pain relief. I recovered well enough to be back work within 8 weeks. I still get a bit of backache worthy of the odd paracetamol but nothing more than that. Stick with the physio and you will be on the mend in no time. My friend is having the same issue and is looking for a good clinic in Germany though https://bookinghealth.com/programs/treatment/neurosurgery/0/germany . Hope he will be doing well soon as well

Post edited by nickkohl on

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Hello, How did you fair out or are you still iin the same boat? Interested to hear your story

• Advertisement

Have you had NRB injections yet? Basically steroid injections into the spine that will give relief for varying lengths of time. They may be available sooner and make the wait easier (going by your other NI thread)

Advertisement