Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butane Gas Regulator lifespan

Options
  • 07-01-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

Very quick question. I do lots cooking, changing a 11 kg cylinder every 2 months or so. Gas Regulator seems to last 2 years. Is it normal?

My cylinder is in the open, outside kitchen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have ones that are 30 and 40 years old still working grand. How do they fail? Do they get clogged up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Used an outdoor 11KG tank for 5 years and the regulator was absolutely fine when I replaced it all with mains.

Second house in a super-exposed area with the same setup has a slightly dicky regulator now... after maybe 20 years (guesswork, I didn't install it). Of being outside in salty air, a lot of the time hanging disconnected mid-air.

I would absolutely expect more than 2 years from a regulator. Where are you getting them? Is there a chance you're still buying from the same bad batch if its a small store?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

From Woodies. It s just the Gas flow gets weird from the Hob. Once changed to new regulator, Hob was back to normal .

I have changed once and the second Regulator (about 2 years old) seems to be giving the same issues

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, if you're only on #2 and having odd issues now - the issues now could be the cold. Butane is less than ideal for Irish winters, we should probably be using propane for that use. We really haven't had that much cold weather in the past few years so maybe you've not had that experience before?

Butanes boiling point is -2, so below -2 you simply don't get the gas boiling off the liquid in the tank. From about 6c it is less effective at it so you just get poorer performance. Was one of the reasons I went to mains.

Advertisement