Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Delay?

Options
  • 07-01-2022 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hey all,

Was just wondering if this was common. I paid a deposit on a new build in April 2021.

I was told November 2021 this then changed to March 2022.

then it changed from March 2022 to June 2022.

Now on checking again it is December 2022

I understand COVID delays but is this normal ? Do they just want me to back out so they can sell it for more? Are others having this experience when buying new?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's not normal.

It's not unheard of.

It's rare a builder finishes exactly on time.

Frankly I'd be gone.

You have no way to force them to speed up.

Went sale agreed on a house that was up and air tight in September 2020 and moved in 8 weeks ago.

Any and all timelines that builders could have estimated fell apart, getting supplies delivered, number of people working concurrently in building etc.

We just grinned and bore it as had no other options really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CSI_Dublin

Have you signed the contracts?

The maximum time a builder/contractor can take to deliver a new house is 24 months subject to it's mention in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

Is it crazy to think that the property back on the market could fetch 10% or 20% higher than your agreed sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Christ... bought my house in 2017 and was moved in in 3 months... They really have you by the balls now. Some joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Yeah the contracts were signed in June. My solicitor said they have 18 months to have it ready. He did also say that it didn't really matter as COVID is now used as an excuse for delays past that.

There is a house in the estate for 35 grand less. It's nearly the same just not new. Thinking of just getting that one as I have arranged for my daughter to move school :/

Thanks for all the comments.

• Administrators Posts: 53,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Being late is normal, a year is extreme but covid has made a mess of things. There will have been a big knock on effect from the lockdown last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Unfortunately this is normal with new built houses. We paid our deposit in February 2018 and received the keys on the 21st of March 2019.

I know of folks who bought in an estate in City West and almost had to wait two years....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Its the norm to add 2 months on to a new build because of Irish Water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Irish Water?

I'm sorry, but that is complete and utter bull. Any builder has to organise access to services (including water and sewage). If you are waiting 3 months for water- the builder screwed up, not Irish Water. It may be that the development needs additional water sources, and that the current public supply is incapable of meeting. That is on the builder- not Irish Water or the Local Authority.

Someone is using the excuse du jour to come up with a new scapegoat to explain away their own ineptness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm having a similar situation myself. We signed the contracts back in June and was told "end of year", but the build has been delayed and we already had to get the mortgage offer extended. Our contract gives them up to three years to complete it. The house looks to be nearing completion on the outside from what I can see.

I think we're going to stay put though. We probably couldn't walk away with our deposit due to the 3 year completion in the contract, and even if we do, whatever else we find could be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Wow 3 years!... the builder is really covering themselves. That being said any builder that drags out a new build 3 years deserves to be left with it. But there's not too many who could do it from a cash flow perspective so it's in the builders interest to get it finished as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Depends on whether you can avail of the tax rebate as a first time buyer. It's built into the excessive price of new builds.

If similar but "not new" house is available and the tax rebate doesn't come into it, then I'd be going for it

I think we buying in the same place! Our house has the roof on it and the windows go in next week. They even asked what colour kitchen and they needed and they needed to know by the end of the week. I'm not a builder but if they windows are going in next week then surely its not going to take another 9-10 months to finish?

We cant get the 1st time buyer thing as we have too much deposit unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Nah. Mines near Portlaoise so I guess it's just a country wide problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We paid a deposit in 12/20 for completion in 04/21. That moved to 09/21, 10/21, 11/21 and we finally got in a week before Christmas through sheer haunting of the builders and solicitors. Three other houses on the row (out of 7 total) aren't completed yet.

Re the above post, I think our windows went in in maybe July? We were told that the construction shutdown meant that loads of builders went to work on other sites and then didn't come back to house building sites, along with global shortages of everything. It's a nightmare, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I’d something similar recently. I paid my deposit in April 2021. I was chasing the contract for 9 months; but to no avail. They told me in December that the price is going up by €15k. Not a thing I could do as no contracts were signed. Signing the contract next wee though. Even though €15k more than I initially hoped to pay but the same new houses are €10k more on daft! So I went ahead with it. You’re in a great position as the contract is signed. They definitely want to frustrate you and hope you pull out… hopefully you’re not in a major rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

We signed our Contracts & paid the 10% deposit in October of 2018, and finally moved in in late August 2020. Developer had financial troubles throughout most of 2019, and then the COVID lockdowns delayed things in 2020.

• Advertisement

Oh wow. This seems to be quite a common thing :( will it ever improve that is the question?

I looked at my area in South Dublin and prices for apartments/duplexes were affordable like 260k but when you ask about them they are all been bid up to 300-320k its just crazy.

Advertisement