Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank phone app downloaded but can't get activation code

Options
  • 06-01-2022 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I got the app, followed the instructions, entered the required details, and it said they'd send me a text with my activation code. It didn't arrive, a Resend didn't work, and I realised it was one of those days when we can't get a mobile signal inside the house. I went out to the conservatory to get a signal, but still no text, and the app said 'Something went wrong', and advised me to check my internet connection (which we can only get inside the house, via our WLAN).

I'm confused - what does our internet connection have to do with getting a text? Any suggestions?

Comments

Go somewhere you can get both a data & mobile signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Sometimes text messages contain data which can be sent using 3G or greater connection only. When you reach area with a good connection, restart your phone to get pending text messages. Sometimes you won't get them if you're too long in out of reach zone even when you back to a zone with a good connection. This is because unreceived texts are kept for a limited time.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks Phileas. If you mean data over wifi internet though, it's hard to find anywhere else I can access it. (Pre Covid, I could have used the wifi in a bar in the nearest town, but not for activating the Ulster Bank app (same problem; wifi works inside, phone signal outside).

If you meant mobile data, that would be easier (and I have some data allowance). But it still means driving to a town, as the mobile signal at our house isn't up to carrying any data. Is it just for activating the app that we need both mobile and data connections simultaneously (or will I have to do that for every online transaction?)

I'll keep an eye on our mobile signal (maybe it'll be having a better day tomorrow and get inside the walls!)

Thank you for the tips, Citrus (sorry - I forgot to check for new replies before posting!).

Yes, that's the kind of text we can't send or receive in our patch. Well, I did once receive a few where a link was the only data, but it was impossible to use the links. It caused such a kerfuffle all round that for that reason alone I've kept mobile data off just about all the time ever since. (Some days getting a signal here needs 2G only, and some days 3G, but still no data will work).

I'd been assuming though, that when Ulster Bank said they'd send a text it meant SMS (rather than MMS)? I've been getting their 6 digit one-time login codes by SMS, and their app just needs to send a 6 letter one. (But maybe I've just been reading too much into their talk about helping vulnerable customers!).

Either would do, but it's only for the initial setup.

• Advertisement

Good to know - thanks!

With our mobile signal slightly better today, I got it done, hovering in the doorway out to the conservatory, where the wifi signal is still just about there. (I think it was going right out there before, away from the wifi, that meant having to start again). I'd switched the phone's preferred network from 2G to 3G in case it made any difference, but the verification text was a plain SMS one. It gave me a number (I'm sure the system said it would be in letters, and that they wouldn't be case sensitive (but maybe that was just Covid delaying updating stuff). It would have saved a little time if the app said what the passcode requirements were before submitting one, rather than after, but on the whole it all went smoothly.

Advertisement