If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

What is a 'a qualified builder or property surveyor' ?

  • 05-01-2022 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ ZoZoZo

    My home insurance specifies

    'it is your duty to ensure that any flat roof forming part of the Buildings is inspected at least once in every 4 years by a qualified builder or property surveyor and any defect with the flat roof is immediately rectified.'

    These terms seem a bit vague. Does anyone know if they are well defined terms (in particular, what qualification exactly do they need to have to be a 'qualified builder') or is this terminology so vague as to be meaningless ?




  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

    Architects, engineers, technicians, building surveyors all have their own associations/institutes to which they are registered. Using a professional from any of those groups would satisfy the requirements of your policy. Builders dont have a statutory register and while such a register was proposed several years ago but I dont believe it ever happened.

  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood

    There is no minimum requirement to become a builder.

    A qualified Carpenter & Joiner Craftsperson OR a qualified Bricklayer & Mason Craftsperson would be excellent qualifications for a builder.

    There are many Professional Qualifications in Construction that would be excellent for a person who wants to be a Builder.

    A Chartered Building Surveyor is a property surveyor.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo

    There are no Official Qualifications for a Builder at present. The best builders i've come across are generally Carpenters.

    There is the CIRI Register, but it is entirely voluntary at the moment. There are talks that in the future, in order to accept the Role of Builder on the BCMS and satisfy the Building control Amendment Regulations, that CIRI Registration will be mandatory but that may be a long way away.

    A Property Surveyor is a very General term. It could be anyone from a Building Surveyor with the relevant Qualification/Experience to someone in Property and Estate Management.

    The following link gives a broad overview of the different types - TopComHomes - SCSI ,The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland

    Generally speaking, if you had the roof inspected by an Engineer, Building Surveyor or similar, the Insurance requirements would be met.

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

    You could possibly have a builder or roofer who is a registered/certified installer of the particular roof finish type?