Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FindMyPast--How to search records by parish?

• 03-01-2022 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

This is in regard to New York Archdiocese parish records on FindMyPast which of course are full of Irish people. I was told there are many more images than transcriptions of parish baptisms and marriages and these are not indexed so you can't search by name. I did stumble on a way to get to the list of parishes and succeeded in finding a long-elusive record. But I cannot for the life of me find out how to get there again--to that list of parishes. I have spent a lot of time clicking all over FMP, to no avail. I don't see an FMP forum such as Ancestry has. Any thoughts?

Just found the answer and posting here in case anyone ever needs it. Click on the link below and search only by parish name. Don't add any other info or you will get 'No results' even tho it's there.

https://search.findmypast.com/search-world-Records/new-york-catholic-parish-registers-browse

Post edited by VirginiaB on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

The hope is that you've narrowed your search down to a parish or two and a time frame. Then the search is not so overwhelming. Searching by the parish if the person's record is not yet indexed--and many are not--is the way to go.

That goes for Catholic parish records in Ireland too, especially in view of the errors and omissions in the FMP and Ancestry indices.

Post edited by VirginiaB on

Advertisement