Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITB 2022 - What's in the bag for 2022?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If its working stay with it as thats all that matters at the end of the day. A 7 wood is a club i am interested in myself so i might go testing a few. I put a regular shaft into my 4 wood this week and am liking it at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

7 Woods very popular at the moment, would love to give one a go but not many options in the 2nd hand market and don't want to buy new in case I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Yeah they are impossible to come by alright, especially in regular or stiff…I suppose traditionally they’d have been used by slow swing speed players who prefer woods to irons so usually in light/senior flex when the odd one does come up….I got lucky, saw the F9 (in the nicer IMO white and black Matt crown version) in perfect condition with regular shaft for a bargain so snapped it up…I just wanted something easier to hit that I could have a cut at par 5s where 2nd shot is low risk and I need to hit maybe 210/220…I usually lay up to a full lob wedge if not within range or high risk…working out well so far anyway…

Lots of 2nd hand ladies 7 woods for sale. I’m not sure if the headweight is different or could you put a still or regular shaft in yourself. Most of the heads now you can just screw off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Just a question, I’ve seen multiple posts with people using multiple shafts on their clubs. Is there that much of a difference in the different shafts? I have stock stiff shafts on my woods and whatever shafts the chap gave me when I got fitted for my irons there wasn’t a conversation had on different shafts.

Just wondering is it a gimmicky type thing or do all these different shafts actually make a difference to the average golfer? I played with a guy over the summer who was about 14 handicap but had different shafts on all his woods and irons claiming they were “game changers”. I had a quick look at his handicap just there and he’s now 16 so they’ve been game changers for him clearly, just changing the wrong way.

For tour players absolutely I can see why they do it but then again tour players are playing a different game to the rest of the world.

• Advertisement

Its a sort of a how long is a piece of string question IMO. If you haven't been fitted for clubs but know your swing speed you can of course just buy a stock stiff shaft which I'd imagine is what many golfers do. But there are huge variances in what a 'stiff' shaft is with different manufacturers and shaft types designed to produce different outcomes. Only a proper fitting session by ForeGolf or somewhere like that is going to be able to tell what type of shaft your swing suits. So yes you might be stiff or regular but a heavier or lighter shaft might suit your swing style.

Getting fit into the right shafts isn't going to make you lose 2 shots off your handicap but it does mean you can be confident that the clubs you are using are the right ones for you. A fitting is good for pretty much all handicaps IMO but if you're only heading out once a week and not practicing your not likely to improve any aspect of your game just by being fit. But they can be a game changer if you are using the wrong type of shaft for your game, someone playing stiff shafts when they should be playing regular or vice versa will notice a big difference, it won't fix a bad swing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

All depends really, my handicap is 7.4 currently and would definitely tell a difference to some extent.

I have Tensie CK Pro Blue x-stiff shafts in my driver and 3wood, Nippon NS Pro Stiff in my Irons and stock shafts in my wedges.

I played 2 rounds of golf over in Spain last November with hired clubs on both occasion and although I could pick x-stiff, stiff etc for the clubs they were all Callaway stock standard shafts. I noticed the feel with the driver in particular was a lot different, that would have been mainly down to the difference in weight between the shafts. I could never really get fully confident to let rip with it over the 2 rounds.

The irons, especially the short irons I could make work but again wasn’t 100% confident as I would be normally. 

I don't think there's many fairway woods with interchangeable shafts unfortunately, plenty of drivers allright but I use a Mavrik fairway and the shaft isn't changeable without a pro or a shop doing it. Same with all Callaway and TM fairways as far as I know. Cobra seem to be the only ones with that option but if you found a ladies 7w and then had to try find a cobra tipped shaft to fit it you'd be there or thereabouts at the price of a new one I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I might have thought the same BUT playing 9 hole comp with 3 clubs + putter had 21 pts ... and that was not the best, by far, ... The whole bag is now going on Adverts ... I don't need it. I jest, I don't have the B***s, but only goes to show.

Current bag.

Ping G400 Max driver, 9*, Alta CB 65 @ 45"

Titleist 915F @ 15* & 18*, Diamana 70g Blue stiff @ A1

Titleist 913h 21*, Diamana 82g Blue stiff @ A1

Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5 - 9, Recoil 95 stiff

Vokey SM7 50F08, 54M08 58K12, Recoil 95 stiff

Scotty Cameron 5S, Superstroke 3.0

ProV1

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I would be very interested in how you came about having the Diamana Blue stiff shaft (an older shaft I used in 915D and liked) in the "new" TS3 head

• Advertisement

I can’t remember exactly where I got it I’ve had it for a few years I had the 917 and now the TS3. I have the hzrdus smoke 6 that came along with the TS3. I used to buy shafts on eBay before brexit. I have spare driver, fairway and hybrid shafts.

just a matter of screwing off the heads and changing the shaft so long as the correct adaptor is on the shaft.

It’s on the subs bench currently, I’ve a bettinardi BB8 in the bag at the moment. I think when the weather clears up a bit I’ll go back to it. It’s a lovely putter to be fair, I just like experimenting a bit in winter.

Good picking, the BB8 is a lovely putter too.

Yeah I’m loving it so far. I think the face balanced Toulon might not suit me. I see there is a slant neck version of the Las Vegas but I think I might go for the x5.5 instead if I do decide to move on the double bend I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Currently for 2022:

Driver: Taylermade M2 (2016), Tensei CK Blue, stiff.

3W & 5W: Taylormade SIM2 Max, stock stiff shafts.

22 degree hybrid: Ping G400, stock Alta stiff.

Irons: 5-PW Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal, DG105 stiff.

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50 degree, Callaway Jaws 56 degree (raw), Vokey SM7 60 degree.

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #7.

Driver might get upgraded this year if there's a performance benefit. Irons are also potentially "up for eviction" as they say - lovely set but just a bit too chunky. Main problem with changing is finding a decent replacement set, being a lefty doesn't help with the choices, so they might stay !

The 60 degree wedge might also go - its rarely ever used and isn't really necessary with a 56 in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

DM me when you are looking. Have a ton of lefty options which may suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Waiting on the irons to arrive from mizuno but once they arrive this will be the gear for my golf year:

Callaway epic max ls ( 9 degrees X flex)

Taylor made m4 3 & 5 wood

Taylor made stealth 4 hybrid

Mizuno pro 223 irons 4 - p/w

Callaway jaws wedges 50,58 degrees

Odyssey red ball putter.

( I'm a lefty too)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Driver: Srixon Z785 10.5° with stiff Miyazaki 5S shaft.

3w: An old hand-me-down Slazenger that rarely gets any use.

3 Hybrid: Taylormade Jetspeed

Irons: 4 - PW. Mizuno MP15 with Project X 6.0 rifle shafts

Wedges: 52° 56° 60° Vokeys

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #7 with Stroke Lab shaft.

Ball: Usually whatever is cheapest or whatever I find! Although I am looking at picking a ball and sticking with it. Considering AD333 at the moment.

I'm pretty new to golf so I'll be sticking with this setup for a while. The 3w will get changed at some stage and I'm actively trying to sell/swap the driver for something else as I'm not overly keen on it. Apart from that, the bag will stay the same for quite some time.

Post edited by El Guapo! on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Right a big change in the bag lately.

Driver...Ping G30 10°

3 Wood Titleist 909 15°

7 Wood Ping G 400

Irons Tacomo 201 4 iron-PW

Wedges Vokey SM 8s

50° 54° 58°

Putter Ping Zing

All irons through to 58° are new

Lets see how they go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Driver - Sim MAX 9°
    • 3W - SIM Max 14°
    • Irons - TaylorMade Aero Burners
    • Wedges - Vokey 7's (48, 54, 58)
    • Putter - Ping Piper H

Going to replace my irons in the next month or two, and get myself a 5W or hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Have to correct this listing. Had to ditch the 223s unfortunately. Just did not get on with them at all and lost about 15 yards distance. Need to work on my game a lot so it's back to the jpx900 forged for the season and will wait for mizunos next jpx offerings for 2023.....

The 223’s look good.

Has anyone tried the new Ping i525 irons yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

My current bag for 2022 is as follows

Driver - Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5 deg 60g Rogue stiff shaft

3w - Callaway Xr 15 deg Hzrdus stiff shaft

3H - Ping G410 19 deg Alta stiff shaft

4-PW - Wilson FG Tour V6 Raw Version S300 Amt stiff shaft

50, 54 & 58 - Vokey SM8

Putter - Evnroll ER2 Black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

These are my second set of Wilsons, got these new last year and I have to say they are top class. Look stunning, great feel from them and very consistent with enough forgiveness for me although you do know when you don't catch one quite right. They come in traditional lofts too which I love and which suits my game perfectly - I'm happy hitting my 7 iron 160-165 ish. They're great value compared to the other names in the market and I'd highly recommend anyone to take the plunge on them or at least try them out during a fitting.

I've an older set of Cleveland irons I've had since 2009. Looking to change this year. A lot of Wilson irons look great especially for price. Those V6 look a nice option if I could find a set in good second hand condition with a lightweight shaft. The standard shaft seems heavy from what I've read

I seen a set actually on Adverts this morning for €350 or thereabouts. I've only played those models but I've heard good reports about the other Forged sets, the D7's are very popular, they're more of a game improvement iron so just depends on your ability and what you're looking for from a set.

The V6 come with Dynamic Gold AMT shafts as standard. Thing about those shafts is they aren't all the same weight. They are lighter in the long irons specifically to help get the ball in the air and increase around 3g for each club. I don't find those shafts particularly heavy personally but you'd need to see for yourself I guess.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the Wilson irons, they all get very good reviews but Wilson aren't as sexy these days as they once were. If they're good enough for the likes of Harrington and Woodland to win majors then they're certainly good enough for any club golfer.

• Advertisement

Ya I was reading a bit on the d7 forged too, the extra distance would probably benefit me too

Plus if I'm getting some new wedges the Staff model look good , again price would be hard to beat

Advertisement