Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about we ban spray paint?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes. You literally said, "There’s no practical use that outweighs the benefits of banning it."

You can very easily paint grafitti without spraypaint. People use markers and pens. I'm sure you've seen it. Ban these as well?

Are you suggesting banning knives, or just carrying them? Maybe you'd be happy with not banning spraypaint, just not allowing people to carry it if they don't have a legimate reason (and how do you prove the legitimate use? Artists have to submit a portfolio to the police now?!)

QED - stupid idea, you're not even trying to justify it. I've nothig more to prove and you can't counter the points made, so good night and have fun!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

As I’ve said earlier in the thread, carrying round a tin of paint and a brush is a lot harder than an aerosol. It would reduce it significantly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I guess you'll be wanting to ban backpacks next, once you figure out what can be put in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Oh you joined the facetious club too. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

The graffiti scene has moved on from just using a spray can. Rollers and extinguishers get the job done a lot quicker these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Fianna Fáil called for spray paint to be banned for under 18s back in 2014, when they were in opposition. Of course, they never followed through with it once they got into power.

Its a sad state of affairs for the OP. His very best effort at creating a thread on Boards merely amounts to one of Barry Cowan’s aborted brain-farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Graffiti is not so bad, it adds a sense of danger to all that urban chaos and decay, learn to appreciate and live with it. I can't imagine them ever banning spray paint anyway, it has to many legitimate uses. I've been using it all my life but never for Graffiti . . . Not like Banksy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Some people seem to imagine, that there was no such thing as graffiti in Ireland before the tagging era. I mean, tagging however sh¡t it is, it's certainly less offensive than the " I.R.A. Brits out " type stuff which we had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Funny you say that. A couple of years ago they removed signage from the bridge at Clontarf Road, to upgrade. There was IRA graffiti underneath, and it was really cool to see a piece of history like that.

Similarly, when the did a refurb of Pearse Station a few years back, it revealed some brush graffiti from the late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Brilliant idea. I go into a shop and say I want a can of black spray paint to paint my bicycle.......how exactly do I prove that?

• Advertisement

Sticking by your dumb idea doesn't make it any less dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haha. I agree. I mean, ban spray paint... ? then he says you should require a "license" to buy it. I feel like I am dropping in IQ points just reading this lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

genius it ends not only the graffitti problem but also teh housing crisis ;0)

We should also need a license to buy eggs. You go into the supermarket and try to purchase a dozen eggs. You have to prove that you are going to bring them home and make an omelette instead pelting some politician with them or launching them at passing cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

China's space station has a new robotic arm. They be tagging everything in Low Earth Orbit with red dragons. And there's nothing the Air Corps can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was told by a graffiti artist that graffiti is only graffiti if it is done free-hand by spray can. Anything else, using stencils etc, is just street art.

Gotta love when starts a thread about some stupid opinion they have and it becomes the OPs bill die on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Graffiti predates spray cans by thousands of years so you were talking to a BS artist.

“Gaius Pumidius Diphilus was here" on Oct. 3, 78 B.C. Some of the stuff from Pompeii isn't family viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't think your graffiti artist mate knows what he's talking about. I wouldn't put much stock in what he tells you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

BAN EVERYTHING I DON'T USE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,960 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

First they came for the spray paint and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for the paint brushes and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for the chalk and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for markers and I didn't speak out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This happened before spray paint was a thing, and all by one man before sunrise. Mic dropped...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's only graffiti if it comes from the Graffio region of Italy, anything else is just sparkling vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You should see Rome..... That place is DESTROYED by graffiti. I actually enjoy decent street-art but Rome is FAR worse than here. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭blackbox

There's people think that banning is the solution to everything:

Dogshite on pavements - ban dogs.

Graffiti on walls - ban paint.

Cycling on footpath - ban bikes.

Ban smoking.

Ban alcohol.

Ban gambling.

Ban gardening.

Ban cars.

Ban ban ban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Spray paint HAS a practical use so, yes, you did say this... In the thread title... In this very post.

Not banning paint, just spray paint.

There ARE laws against graffiti y'know. Now, enforcing that: How to enforce better, penalties, jurisdiction, responsibility etc is a whole different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The urban environment is probably just as much of a problem as the sale of spraypaint when it comes to graffiti. The seasoned tagger will mostly seek a location where their work is less likely to be removed, such as unkept properties and areas. Once a place is tagged it creates a domino effect, with the next offender tagging close by the first and so on, spreading out over a large area and interlocking with others.

It doesn't necessarily have to be something large such a derelict factory, it can be a simple, like a shop that hasn't had any tenants for a few months. The majority of the time you can trace back these areas with high amounts of graffiti to unkept properties. The only real exception to this, that I can think of, are areas close by to a train line, which are natural hotspot due to their visibility factor.

The only real solution to graffiti that seems to work in some cases, is graffiti. By that I mean work that is legally painted, mural work, especially if it is done by someone known in the graffiti scene, as some taggers are less likely to paint over other graffiti work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

OP, have you considered just imposing a minimum price on spray cans instead?

Advertisement