Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lausanne diamond league live on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some run Ciara Mageean.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Absolutely legendary run by Ciara, smashing Sonia's record!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,226 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sensational stuff from Ciara.....well done!

Being considerably faster than Sonia over 1500m is a hell of an achievement, it shows just how good she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Wow. Just an amazing run. Delighted for her

One of the best hours regular season athletics in a while, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

The golden days of Irish athletics are well and truly back.

Well done to Ciara and also to all involve in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

thats just sensational

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I actually got a bit emotional watching her reaction after it! Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Brilliant, brilliant brilliant..only watching now...

So happy for her..

She's rapidly moving into Eamon Coghlan and Sonia O'Sullivan territory for us. Very few of our athletes would ever have been good enough to win a Diamond League race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Just saw it on playback on YouTube without knowing the result beforehand. Astonishing. Pulverized Sonia O’Sullivan’s NR.

Just incredible to watch Ciara finally unleash the full extent of the talent that was always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Looks like she got $10,000 for winning, pittance in relation to other sports but probably one of her biggest pay days.

Rules, Points & Prize Money (diamondleague.com)

When you think of what the LIV golfers get :-( Hopefully this opens even more doors for her to finally get the rewards for years of hard work. Best Irish running performance in years :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just tuned in at very the start of the race and didn't know she was in it. Watching for Laura Muir the first 3 laps until she appeared on the back straight. Jesus I jumped up fairly quick and started shouting. Brilliant to see.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Had a feeling she'd broken sub 4 when I saw this thread had some traction tonight. Watched the recording back anticipating something good, but 3:56.63? Holy sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She qualifies for the final now too. Could be another very decent pay day

Amazing run. Wasn’t mentioned once in commentary until 150m out

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

Amazing to watch Ciara after, delighted for her! Broke the NR in style! Herself and Laura Muir bring out the best in each other, a fantastic rivalry.

Yeah, they mixed her up with Elise Cranny several times. They look reasonably similar from a distance so I guess you just have to let it slide.

Agreed. Hopefully she can replicate this form in Zurich and secure some decent financial reward. She is so deserving after years of battling through injuries and disappointments.

Fingers crossed that she can have an injury-free, fulfilling 2-year cycle into the Paris olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was Ciara’s race shown on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Amazing stuff from Ciara. Phenomenal time. Laura probably a little leggy but plenty more battles to come between the two of them hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its a huge performance from her.

The only thing comparable I can remember in recent years is Thomas Barr in the Olympic final, beyond that its the best performance by an Irish runner since Sonia in the Olympics - I really cant remember anything else that compares.

For context

• Its the 4th fastest time in the world this year.
    • Its the 30th fastest all time
    • In the all time list, if you strip out the dopers its comfortably in top 15 of all time.
    • Again, if you strip out all the Russians, she is the 3rd fastest European of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, I too enjoyed that performance, but c'mon, no-one here has said anything about a 30 year old improving her 1500 time by 3.5 seconds. I'm sorry but that's not normal. Now, some will say it's the spikes, others will say she's finally had a good injury-free run and so on. True, both. But three and a half seconds, and winning Diamond League races. If she wasn't Irish we'd be asking questions on here.

Unfortunately it’s a legitimate question in athletics. However, I would be dumbstruck if Ciara Mageean was doping.

I’m not sure people truly appreciate how naturally talented she is. She won world silver as a junior in 2010, defeating the very best juniors from Kenya and Ethiopia. This is a remarkable feat, achieved by vanishingly few Europeans.

Since then, she has been plagued by injury. If anything, her ‘racing age’ is significantly less than 30. For me, this year is a realization of that talent that’s always been there, but was never fully unleashed due to the inability to put together layers of uninterrupted training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

even before the world juniors she won a medal at world youth (u18) at 800m too. she was the most exciting Irish young talent since Sonia

Last night’s run wasn’t as good a performance as her run in the commonwealths or the Europeans either IMO. She just had pacemaking. Her final lap last night was 61s. Same as in Munich. The difference was last night was set up for everyone to run fast.

I don’t mind people asking questions in athletics (it only has itself to blame) but there are a lot contributing factors to Mageean having a somewhat underwhelming senior career and it seems like she’s having the sort of season she should have been having for a while

And the shoes, don’t forget the shoes

The counter argument is though that she was beaten out of sight by Laura Muir in both the Commonwealth Games and the Euros and that she 'hasn't' been running particularly fast times this year. Wouldn't a drugged up athlete have been able to win gold in both the Commonwealths and the European Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm afraid there are too many doped athletes for them all to win gold. I ask again, if this was an athlete from anywhere but Ireland, would you be questioning the time and performance given the athlete's age? I know I would.

A couple of things stood out about last night and Mageeans race.

The track is known fast, the 5k before it was lightening.

Her best races this year have been off a slow start and hard finish, this one was quick from the gun and she sat in with good position, she went hard between 800 and 300 put to put herself in position and hung on, you could see her at the point of collapse if there was another 100. It looks a perfectly timed burst and good luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Last night's performance was legendary and I thought it was fantastic symmetry that Sonia was there in the stadium to witness & congratulate her in person for taking her NR.

Love the photos floating around of her at the finish line with Muir too, it just speaks volumes about sportsmanship. Amazing inspiration for our young people to see this - especially our girls - I don't have daughters but if I did I'd be showing them the trio of races from the Commonwealth games, Euros & DL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 phelimcas

With Ciara's excellent form this season was expecting her to go sub 4.

The 3:56 was better than I imagined she could achieve but as she said in her interview afterwards she was fully in the zone.

The most impressive thing for me is her tactical acumen this season and her running with control but without fear. She really believes in herself and see her self challenging Laura Muir now.

Advertisement