Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Do I need planning?

• 31-12-2021 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 mrjinxy21

Hi I’m hoping to build a garden room but attach it to my house. I will attach to an existing bedroom. By removing the window I will create an entrance to the one end of the garden room to create a walk in wardrobe. The rest of the garden room will only be accessible through a sliding door in the garden. The existing bedroom then has no windows. It will be about 20 sq m in total. Will I need planning permission for this. Thanks.

Answers

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

If Im reading the post correctly you will need PP and and you will be in breach of building regs it seems. Doesn't sound like a great idea if Im being honest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

Should have asked if this garden room / extension to house is to the rear or side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrjinxy21

It’s to the rear of the house. It’s a bungalow in case that also helps. Just so I’m clear why do you think it’s not a great idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,140 ✭✭✭✭ Penn

If the existing bedroom will not have a bedroom, it's a breach of building regulations with regards to safe secondary means of escape in the event of a fire.

Ok I see. And if I was to add a window into that walk in wardrobe on one side would that pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 15,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

Possibly, as long as the window is the right size (for escape) and if there is no door between the bedroom and walk-in wardrobe. I am open to correction on the no door....but that's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,140 ✭✭✭✭ Penn

Yes I'd agree with that. If there's a door on the walk-in wardrobe then it's a different room and therefore a window for means of escape has not been provided for the bedroom itself.

ok great thanks. I won’t be putting a door on the walk in wardrobe. It will be small room but I will make sure I have enough size for a window that meets standards.

Advertisement