Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need planning?

• 31-12-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I’m hoping to build a garden room but attach it to my house. I will attach to an existing bedroom. By removing the window I will create an entrance to the one end of the garden room to create a walk in wardrobe. The rest of the garden room will only be accessible through a sliding door in the garden. The existing bedroom then has no windows. It will be about 20 sq m in total. Will I need planning permission for this. Thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,801 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If Im reading the post correctly you will need PP and and you will be in breach of building regs it seems. Doesn't sound like a great idea if Im being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,801 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Should have asked if this garden room / extension to house is to the rear or side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrjinxy21

It’s to the rear of the house. It’s a bungalow in case that also helps. Just so I’m clear why do you think it’s not a great idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If the existing bedroom will not have a bedroom, it's a breach of building regulations with regards to safe secondary means of escape in the event of a fire.

Ok I see. And if I was to add a window into that walk in wardrobe on one side would that pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Possibly, as long as the window is the right size (for escape) and if there is no door between the bedroom and walk-in wardrobe. I am open to correction on the no door....but that's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes I'd agree with that. If there's a door on the walk-in wardrobe then it's a different room and therefore a window for means of escape has not been provided for the bedroom itself.

ok great thanks. I won’t be putting a door on the walk in wardrobe. It will be small room but I will make sure I have enough size for a window that meets standards.

Advertisement