Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How was 2021 for you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

2021 for me overall was a good year, I had a few set back aswell but nothing that I couldn't overcome.

Farm wise it was a hectic, stressful, exciting, exhausting year. From milking cows in a single unit machine in the rain to training them into the parlor and work going on while dealing with the stresses of my first spring. Breeding and grass went well and the contracting was slow to start but we got on well. Closed off the year with a new slurry tank and feed areas for cows. They will be going onto it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to 2022 and whatever it brings

Personally 2021 was off to a shít start, a friend died in early January from SADs and a relative was buried, he was the reason I love machinery and why I got into contracting, because of lockdown they had to have a small funeral, a lot of stories that could have been shared were missed out on. My mother and uncle are on treatment and have to be in Dublin once a month so that has its own stresses.

On a big plus side I'm living in a house with some of my friends and it's great. I plan my days to finish at a certain time and head off. I started playing soccer with friends over the winter and we joined the tennis club and started playing squash. I cut down on the alcohol and because of COVID we had a quiet Christmas and I met up with friends outside of a pub which was great. Also I stopped listening to the news on the radio and TV which was great.

Overall it was a good year and I became thankful for my health, family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

2021 had it's ups and downs. Probably more downs, but luckily the new year has started.

First had my first child born in January. Quite an experience and with all restrictions being away from a family for a couple days wasn't fun. Just a week later had my university finishing exam. Later in February got my master degree in Veterinary Medicine. Finally was able to do some more stuff around my cattle. However, with a newborn baby couldn't really enjoy my success to the fullest.

Summer hit hard with the heat. Temperature over 30C° for 1,5 month really made it's mark in breeding season. Really hard for natural heat AI. Had to miss a couple heats as it was unbearably hot since the early morning, plus way more repeats after AI than usual and I'd prefer. Still managed to do most of the work myself. A group of cows weren't showing aby signs of heat despite being checked twice a day, so brought them a young bull for the company.

The hay season started well, but then my dad got ill with apendicitis, and it sure took away some days from work. Lots of grass with the first cut, however the heat was burning some fields with the second grass. Luckily after those 1,5month of heat the weather got abit colder, got some rain and grass started to grow again. Overwise, would have needed to feed cattle as the pastures hardly had any grass. Finished hay season later than wanted.

The summer heat and lack of grass sure made an inpact on calves and yearlings weight gains. Weanlings were lighter and had way lower weight gains than I expected. Luckily the quality still was there and got a pretty good price for the ones we sold.

Had some bad happenings with cattle too. Had one cow with a broken leg. She had her calf when she already couldn't stand up. Unfortunately had to kill her to end her suffering. Also had a very bright and lively calf getting kicked or pushed hard by another cow, and calf passed away by the evening of the same day we saw him not feeling well in the morning. Luckily had another calf to put with his dam and she took a calf really well. Had a very dumb calf not nursing for two good weeks. He lived until three months age, but always was ill looking and behaving like a normal calf should. Had one cow loose both twins. One was very strong and running, but went down in three days, another hadn't stood up after birth until the evening since the morning, so took him home, but he survived only a couple days. There were acouple more incidents, but couldn't do much.

Not very lovely in personal life too. Since being with a child took away all of my personal time, almost all hobbies and limited my actions, I was and still am in a slight depression. Trying to fight with it, found some new activities, but it's not the same and it's not enough to make up for the lost important parts of my personal life and activities.

Overall, not the best year, but always can be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

To be honest on the farming front a good year, lambs were a good price, got a bit of fencing done, cattle prices were good.

Unsure about farming going forward as I have trouble with a heart valve, going for more tests shortly but we will see how that turns out, but of a balls. just I have the place close enough looking it best, I might be told I need to give it up.

Unfortunately mother passed away. in October, 93 and to be honest we have a lot to be thankful for as we got plenty of time with her in her last few weeks despite Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

Advertisement