Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PUP Query

• 29-12-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Asking this on behalf of a family member who has lost his main employment (hotel) until March. I say main employment because he also has held a second job (PAYE) which pays a fixed rate of circa €100 a month. It's a long held role that involves just four or five hours work per month.

He believes he is not entitled to PUP after losing his main employment because of this secondary role that pays just €100 per month. Is he correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's tricky but if their main employment was taxable as in Paye it would be worth applying using their employment details from main employer (Hotel), however the problem will be your friend being in any employment whilst on PUP, this is not permitted unless self employed who are permitted to earn a certain amount over an 8 week period.

Your friend is in a difficult situation here, Claim PUP but end the 2nd part time job or sign on for JSA/B but their part time job will reduce what they might get per week.

Others may have other opinions but definitely a person can not earn taxable income whilst on PUP .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Yeah it's a pity. I'm not quite sure what his second job is costing him here or if he can even afford to keep his second job now. Which is a bit of a ridiculous situation to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Your friend can contact the Income Support Helpline at 0818800024 and they can get clarification from the C19 section (internal only) or email info@welfare.ie who will get clarification in writing from C19 section and reply to your friend.

However be warned there's a huge backlog at this time due to staff holidays and Covid. A colleague of mine who deals with them regularly told me today.

If you want to post more specific information about the number of days worked in a given period (hours worked is irrelevant), family situation (married/single/children, etc.) I can point your friend in the right direction.

I'm going to use an example and assume the person qualifies for maximum rate JB, single and compare it to Optional JA.

Hypothetical example: Person works 1 day per week and earns €25.

If they claim JB they lose 1/6 of their weekly JB payment as they are working 1 day a week. €203 less €33.80 (approx.) = €169.80

If they claim Optional JA and don't have any other means they may receive €200. This is worked out by deducting €20 from €25 and 60% of balance. €3 means.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Thanks very much. I'm unaware of the finer details to be honest but I'll pass that information on them. I wasn't aware there was an Income Support Helpline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

I checked the PUP FAQs today and PUP is not paid if a person has subsidiary employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Query on PUP here also

On disability allowance whilst working part time up to before xmas and place had to close indefinitely because of covid

My earnings from that part time work is €100 weekly which is allowed without my initial payment being affected.

But I am applying for the PUP based on that, now, lost weekly income. It says i can be in receipt of other welfare payment and still get the PUP. Like i say before this everything was above board on my side, so I'm just wondering if I can claim PUP based on that lost income???

Your question a little different

Morning, in general yes would be the answer, however you mention (or perhaps I miss understand) the part time job was only recent 🤔

PUP is specifically geared towards those who lost their Jobs specifically because of the Pandemic or as a result of restrictions introduced by government. My concern is you arguing you lost a recent part time job and whilst the loss of a part time job not excluded, the length of time you had that job may be queried. The department will check your PRSI contributions over a 4 week period prior to your job lost and whilst I'm not suggesting I'm correct, I feel if it was a recent part time job lost, this may be determined as a loss of a seasonal position, not a loss because of the Pandemic or government restrictions.

Your being in receipt of DA not actually relevant, your correct as some payments not impacted by being in receipt of PUP, it's the actual employment lost that will be assessed along with gross earnings to determine rate of PUP, if awarded.

Whilst you should apply regardless, you would have been advised to have applied immediately.

Scroll down a little to see what payments you can be in receipt of whilst on PUP, link attached

Thanks.

Yeah I've held this job for some years now. The actual role I'm in only requires me a couple of days a week hence part time.

As for applying to pup. The business has had to be shut down because of covid itself. Boss and other staff members have contracted it plus a number of important clients are out with it.

Effectively stopping the normal flow of work and revenue to the business. Jobs on hold etc etc

Therefore I'm told no work or no money until these guys get back to full health

A, I see, well then go for it , I just wanted to point out possible issues if only a recent job but as it clearly wasn't you should be entitled, good luck regardless 😉

Cheers mate

• Advertisement

The My PUP website so has told me that I'm awared this payment as of Friday 7th but no I've received no payments yet.

This just a matter of time or what? It would be the 2nd working week without any payments if nothing comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

PUP payments run from Friday to Thursday and pay the following Tuesday, so tomorrow's payment covers 7th to 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

Fair enough. Cheers

Advertisement